Will Sony have the balls to make the "PlayStation Tablet" a full handheld?

It's been confirmed by financial Times, that a PlayStation Tablet is coming. The new PS CEO John Kodera said they are researching ways to merge the console and portable market. This was in 2017, a post Switch World that proved phones are not the only viable handheld solution. 

The question is will it only be a PS5 accessory that can stream from the PS5 and from PSNow. Or will it play games, have its own storage space, render games natively. 

I think with the head of PS being Japanese they might be crazy enough to go for a fully fledged handheld. I assume Vita was profitable, and they can pull this off much better now with unified services. I mean PSVR sold a fraction of the Vita and is getting major support. 

Think the Japanese branch will strong arm them into this crazy shit? 

Can they shrink base-PS4 hardware into a tablet? Then maybe.

I think we can safely say that indie games don't really need hardware specs of next-gen consoles, so they should continue developing for PS4/XBO. That gives the PS4 tablet some games. Depends if Sony first party will create PS4 and PS5 versions of their first-party games.

4 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Can they shrink base-PS4 hardware into a tablet? Then maybe.

I think we can safely say that indie games don't really need hardware specs of next-gen consoles, so they should continue developing for PS4/XBO. That gives the PS4 tablet some games. Depends if Sony first party will create PS4 and PS5 versions of their first-party games.

There is no way it will play PS5 games outside of some rare downports. I don't think a 2019/2020 7nm tablet can even handle base PS4 games. 

I think if Sony sees it increase their PSNow and PSN Plus user base they will totally do it even if it will be fairly niche. They said they plan over 100 million PSN Plus users. I can't see that happening without some additional hardware beyond PS4 and PS5. Especially when the majority of PS5 PSN Plus users will just be migrating PSr4 users. 

On 2018-12-21 at 4:48 AM, Team 2019 said:

Speaking of which Nintendo needs to go in for the kill, and release a 150 dollar Dock only TV Switch. No tablet. No bullshit. Just super cheap entry platform. 

It's more likely that the'll release a handheld-only Switch once a Switch successor comes out.  You could easily translate Switch to being just a handheld, but with a massive existing user base, while you promote your next generation hybrid.

10 minutes ago, McWicked said:

It's more likely that the'll release a handheld-only Switch once a Switch successor comes out.  You could easily translate Switch to being just a handheld, but with a massive existing user base, while you promote your next generation hybrid.

Either way could work. Price being the main factor in both.