Ray tracing DXR fallback layer running on Radeon VII vs 2080ti

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

The fallback layer was created for a reason, wasn't it?

This is the results... deal with it.

This is like trying to compare software rendering to 3D acceleration and then begging the question as to why a software mode performs horribly.

The hardware isn't designed for this, it's just a more powerful take on what was already in market. A 1080 Ti would probably handle it the same or relatively close if it were possible to do.

Edited by DynamiteCop!
2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

This is like trying to compare software rendering to 3D acceleration and then begging the question as to why a software mode performs horribly.

The hardware isn't designed for this, it's just a more powerful take on what was already in market. 

Nobody is begging the question... it's a simple matter of knowing how it currently performs through the compute cores vs Nvidia's RTX DXR layer.

You know... it's a relevant point of interest for many people who are curious as to how large of a difference it would be.

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Nobody is begging the question... it's a simple matter of knowing how it currently performs through the compute cores vs Nvidia's RTX DXR layer.

You know... it's a relevant point of interest for many people who are curious as to how large of a difference it would be.

I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than that. None of this was in any way designed for it. The hardware isn't there, the software isn't there which I would argue plays one of the biggest parts because the lack of a driver won't allow any kind of hardware scaling. 

This is one of the dumbest threads you've made in a while and I'd wager it's worse than the DLSS ones you constantly ramble on about.

Edited by DynamiteCop!
7 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than that. None of this was in any way designed for it. The hardware isn't there, the software isn't there which I would argue plays one of the biggest parts because the lack of a driver won't allow any kind of hardware scaling. 

This is one of the dumbest threads you've made in a while and I'd wager it's worse than the DLSS ones you constantly ramble on about.

No it's not.. lmao You're just taking this hard because you think the thread is about AMD vs Nvidia... when it's really about DXR fallback vs DXR..

9 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Maybe this thread is about AMD vs Nvidia... Here's a 1050 getting 26fps with more primary rays per second :D 

2eya6HC.png

6 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Here you go... 1080ti 

rtkgemb.png

:francis: 

Nvidia has drivers for RTX rolled into their suite, AMD does not. 

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Nvidia has drivers for RTX rolled into their suite, AMD does not. 

Yes, AMD does.  They literally just activated it in their drivers yesterday... which is why you're seeing this now..

Here, try the demo yourself.  Maybe someone faked that image?  I wouldn't put it past them...

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=75266639847527851391

5 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

6pXeOVr.png

The support might be there, but AMD users will still not be able to use the Ray Tracing effects as AMD has not added any support for Microsoft’s fallback layers in its drivers.

The fallback layer is supported by ALL DX12 devices...  Before yesterday.. the demo wouldn't start... now it does.

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

The fallback layer is supported by ALL DX12 devices...  Before yesterday.. the demo wouldn't start... now it does.

Don't know what to tell ya, I'm on the newest build of Windows with AMD's newest driver and it doesn't do anything.

5 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Don't know what to tell ya, I'm on the newest build of Windows with AMD's newest driver and it doesn't do anything.

Weird that it wont run.  People were saying that drivers just activated it.  I should say though that I did some deeper digging and you're right in that AMD themselves haven't updated their driver with their own specific fallback layer, this is a MS designed fallback layer for compatibility so developers could learn the API, not performance.  This layer currently isn't meant for anything else.

So it explains why performance is so terrible compared to Nvidia's non RTX cards.