Horizon Zero Dawn has sold well over 10 million copies worldwide (2 year anniversary update)

It's a great game. One of my favorite games of this console generation actually, it's mindblowing to me that this was Guerilla Game's first attempt at an open-world type game and they absolutely nailed it.

• Like 2

It sucks (not the game), because I would've felt that Guerilla could have made some upgrades to the RPG system, they could fleshed out the story, and made another open world area fast enough to make a HZD sequel by the end of 2019, or maybe even early 2020.

But Sony is ultimately making the right decision in having told Guerilla to work on the sequel for the game and prepare it for PS5's launch.

And that is going to be one hell of a launch game.

The areas that need to be improved have so much upside. And the world they've already established just needs more fleshing out, and all they need to do is just apply more physics to improvements to the mission structure, and just make more missions all over the map.  You can easily identify where they can improve, and there's no reason why Guerilla won't be able to with 2-3 additional years of development time.

Forget Killzone. Just focus on this IP.

Edited by jehurey
22 minutes ago, Sabo said:

It's a great game. One of my favorite games of this console generation actually, it's mindblowing to me that this was Guerilla Game's first attempt at an open-world type game and they absolutely nailed it.

Word!

Godly game and well deserved. One of the best looking games too, still one of the best implementations of HDR and it's already 2 years old now. I hope Guerilla puts this much heart and effort into their next Killzone game and I can't wait for the next Horizon. :bow: Isn't Guerilla Games a two game studio now?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

Godly game and well deserved. One of the best looking games too, still one of the best implementations of HDR and it's already 2 years old now. I hope Guerilla puts this much heart and effort into their next Killzone game and I can't wait for the next Horizon. :bow: Isn't Guerilla Games a two game studio now?

Yeah they are. One team defs on Horizon 2. The other we don't know but that will probably be the team that releases something in the PS5 launch window. 

2 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Yeah they are. One team defs on Horizon 2. The other we don't know but that will probably be the team that releases something in the PS5 launch window. 

They need to hurry up. :cosby: We know they poached a couple dudes from Rainbow Six Seige's online multiplayer/design team. Despite Killzone Shadowfall sucking ass I still think the Killzone universe has a shit ton of potential.

Just now, lynux3 said:

They need to hurry up. :cosby: We know they poached a couple dudes from Rainbow Six Seige's online multiplayer/design team. Despite Killzone Shadowfall sucking ass I still think the Killzone universe has a shit ton of potential.

I think it will be the return of Killzone with an even heavier focus on MP. KSF's campaign was shit but I actually had a lot of fun with it's MP. Would love for them to improve on it further. 

12 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

I think it will be the return of Killzone with an even heavier focus on MP. KSF's campaign was shit but I actually had a lot of fun with it's MP. Would love for them to improve on it further. 

I hope it's a little of both to be honest. I also enjoyed Killzone Shadowfall's multiplayer a bit (and it's still alive too!), but I'd like them to be story heavy with great gameplay. Either way I feel like Guerilla Games is renewed after the success of Horizon so I expect them to put out some great stuff in the future. B)

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

Guerilla has got to be the one of the biggest game developer turnarounds in history.

You can't really consider something a turn around until it's executed multiple times, given their track record a fluke is more likely than a turnaround. 

10 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

You can't really consider something a turn around until it's executed multiple times, given their track record a fluke is more likely than a turnaround. 

Yeah, totally... :roll:

Killzone has been on the heels of Halo up until Shadow Fall which seemed like a rushed launch game.

kz2.png.35bc1871ce11e2f38bc392246777eba2.pngh3.png.a6419f4c918c23d519cd41af8a8c0b8c.png

h4.png.35b2d7a0db9df66ba3bd4f983763f0e3.pngkz3.png.6354c00b5104a9a47aa6b69ae744c00e.png

Notice how the user scores are also higher than Failos. :tom: 

It's always hilarious to me when people act like Killzone was shit. The original flopped big time but the sequels were great. Halo was still better (at the time) but this idea that Guerrilla Games were shit before Horizon is laughable (As lynux has proven). They definitely took it to a whole new level with Horizon though. The next game from the main team has potential to bring them into the Naughty Dog and Santa Monica realm of godliness. 

4 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

It's always hilarious to me when people act like Killzone was shit. The original flopped big time but the sequels were great. Halo was still better (at the time) but this idea that Guerrilla Games were shit before Horizon is laughable (As lynux has proven). They definitely took it to a whole new level with Horizon though. The next game from the main team has potential to bring them into the Naughty Dog and Santa Monica realm of godliness. 

They were never shit, they were just incapable of building a paramount franchise that amounted to anything. The talent is obviously there but their games just never had a spark. 

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

They were never shit, they were just incapable of building a paramount franchise that amounted to anything. The talent is obviously there but their games just never had a spark. 

I would argue that Killzone was very much in Halo's shadow during those days. Most of that fault is at Sony's feet as they hyped it as their Halo. KZ2 is highly regarded as one of the best shooters of last gen and a gigantic leaps from the original. KZ3 was more of the same which was good too. Horizon definitely is their major stand out moment but to say that 'a fluke is more likely' in regards to Horizon is a massive exaggeration. This wasn't some sub tier dev that made a AAA GOTY nom, it was a great dev that stepped up from high AA to GOTY nom, a natural next step in their evolution as a studio. 

I actually enjoyed Killzone 2 MP a lot, even though the aiming was shit, the map design was excellent.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new KZ game. The series has potential, the universe is actually cool.