Elder Scrolls: Blades now out on iOS! (Coming to all other platforms later)

So I’m a level 5, so far I’m loving this game. It’s super easy.. just like any Eldee Scrolls game (never played one a 6 year old couldn’t beat) but I really dig how they captured the feel of a console game. Obviously the levels are rather linear but they encourage exploration and what not. Could see it getting boring, but I’m interested to see if everything is structured the same at higher levels, interested to unlock more skillss/perks/abilities (there’s a shit ton)

controls are pretty good for the most part. I prefer playing in landscape, but I hate the bounciness of the joysticks. I find that if you control directly above the joysticks you get no bouncing and it’s direct control

Edited by ghostz
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably at a lower resolution and worse textures.  

Posted Images

Its combat is really disappointing.  Its combat is probably simpler than most mobile games

I'm so-so on the quest mode stuff. I was never interested in the quest mode, I wanted to do the Battle Arena.

But with the combat that it has? The Battle Arena will probably not be fun.

Think about this now, this reminds me of Epic making Infinity Blade for smartphones back when smartphone games were starting. The combat may actually be simpler than whats in this video

That's a 6 year old game.

The conversation system is a little too basic right now, but the quests do sorta remind me of regular Elder Scrolls missions, though some characters are flat and forgettable. Damn shame they couldn't have VO, but that's understandable.

I'll keep trying it out more.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

Its combat is really disappointing.  Its combat is probably simpler than most mobile games

I'm so-so on the quest mode stuff. I was never interested in the quest mode, I wanted to do the Battle Arena.

But with the combat that it has? The Battle Arena will probably not be fun.

Think about this now, this reminds me of Epic making Infinity Blade for smartphones back when smartphone games were starting. The combat may actually be simpler than whats in this video

That's a 6 year old game.

The conversation system is a little too basic right now, but the quests do sorta remind me of regular Elder Scrolls missions, though some characters are flat and forgettable. Damn shame they couldn't have VO, but that's understandable.

I'll keep trying it out more.

I’m level 5 but the ENTIRE subreddit is saying it’s a massive P2W game that hits around level 8. I played infinity wars and it’s actually fairly  similar, that game had deeper combat but it also has deeper combat than any elder scrolls game. They are all two buttons only type of games, either sword hit/arrow or magic. 

Im hoping the skills/abilities/etc open the combat up more, but based on previous games I doubt it. Especially if they’re locked behind paywalls. 

I played it while taking a shit. I figured it was important to test the game this way. I like portrait mode, you can almost tell that it was primarily designed for portrait mode and one hand.

I finished one quest during the time it takes to shit. Not bad.

I am sucker for "rebuilding your town" type of stuff, so I am finding a bit of a groove.

Who knows. If the quests have some interesting narrative to it, maybe some good dialogue, and they keep the loot coming so that it compels me to upgrade my character, my weapons, my armor, and my town; I'll keep on playing it.

Maybe they might coax some $5-$10 out of me after its all said and done. I still think they should add more strategy to the combat, you lock-on to an enemy, so its not like you can accidentally do something that moves your character around. You should be able to do swipes and double-taps and holding it down for a stronger attacks. I haven't even implemented any magic, since I'm just a regular melee fighter.

1 hour ago, -GD- said:

this game sucks. infinity blade 2 and 3 were significantly better. 

Combat does suck. But it does a decent job with the core RPG mechanics and base-building.

And its got nice music.

But I have to say the graphics are disappointing for a couple of reasons. From an artistic standpoint, its using the same type of art as Oblivion, and there's simply too much garvage geometry on the screen, it makes it confusing to tell what exactly you are seeing.

And secondly, this shit should be running much smoother, there's no reason for this to be 30fps and have crappy shadow quality.  It would'nt surprise me if its using the crappy Gamebryo engine even though everything is linear. This just reads like a quick port job.

Just now, jehurey said:

Combat does suck. But it does a decent job with the core RPG mechanics and base-building.

And its got nice music.

But I have to say the graphics are disappointing for a couple of reasons. From an artistic standpoint, its using the same type of art as Oblivion, and there's simply too much garvage geometry on the screen, it makes it confusing to tell what exactly you are seeing.

And secondly, this shit should be running much smoother, there's no reason for this to be 30fps and have crappy shadow quality.  It would'nt surprise me if its using the crappy Gamebryo engine even though everything is linear. This just reads like a quick port job.

yup. it looks very rushed. 

2 minutes ago, -GD- said:

yup. it looks very rushed. 

there was some bad rumors when Fallout 76 came out that they are way behind on all of their development.

They had to fix FO76, and that they didn't even have Blades up and running, and their Starfield game was not even in wide development because they hadn't figured out how to do space flight using the same game engine they've already been using.

And to totally forget about Elder Scrolls 6, because they haven't even started that on any meaningful level.

That rumor made it seem like Bethesda was in a bad place.

Yeah, the game is starting to slow down in certain ways by Level 7/8. You still level up quickly, you still get access to perks. But certain things like opening treasure chests start slowing down, wait 3 hours to open a SIlver chest, wait 6 hours to open a gold chest, and by this point you've probably accumulated 10-12 chests, so you have pay some green tokens for allowing you to keep a higher amount of chests, to open chests immediate you need green tokens. You can only put a timer on one chest a time, you can multiple chests on concurrent timers.

To make your Town Building progress, you need to rebuild ruined lots with House lots. Well that comes with a 2 hour timer (unless you pay in green tokens)

And I thought my character was appropriately powered enough that I could take on some of the really high difficulty jobs, but that shit kicked my ass pretty quickly, and now I don't have healing potions. And I currently have an alchemy shop to make or buy healing potions because that requires me to level up my town. It doesn't help that my character build is pure melee attack using almost no magic, so unlike other Elder Scrolls games, there doesn't appear to be a self-healing spell and my character currently isn't regenerating health.

Its still interesting because its designed like the opposite of Fallout Shelter. Upgrade the town are simple menu options, you shouldn't spend much time in town. You go out on jobs and quests. And even though they repeat the same areas like 80% of the time, it feels like Elder Scrolls Oblivion, going through caves and ruins. And even though the portrait mode with one hand is easier, the virtual joysticks help making it feel like traditional Elder Scrolls, and you can navigate yourself quicker and smoother, I can actually finish a quest faster because I can control it better.

I think they're pushing the microtransactions harder here than they did with Fallout Shelter. Which is fine, but they didn't do the best job ramping it up properly, it shifts a little quickly about 1-2 hours in.

I feel ashamed of myself.

I spent $5 on a microtransaction to buy more gems because I needed to revive myself during a mission.

This is a big warning. Core story missions are definitely going to get hard, but more importantly, the levels start getting REALLY LONG, like 3 times longer than a usual side quest level, possibly more.

So for those missions, you are gonna need to have the absolutely best weapon(s) and armor, and you may actually need an entire backup set of armor/shield and multiple weapons because they will wear down and become less effective during the level. And you are going to need to stock up on an assload of healing potions and you will probably need a magic spell that will help you regenerate health during a battle.

Whenever I fuck up in this game, its because the game introduces something new than I wasn't expecting.  I wasn't expecting the level to get so fucking long, so I wasn't prepared.  I didn't want to leave the level, so I had to buy gems to revive myself.

Its sucks not knowing. But now that I know, I'll be trying to be as over-prepared as possible. This isn't like the other Elder Scrolls games. I can't leave a mission halfway through and go back and regenerate health and repair my weapons. If you leave a quest level, you have to restart the level from the beginning again.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

I feel ashamed of myself.

I spent $5 on a microtransaction to buy more gems because I needed to revive myself during a mission.

This is a big warning. Core story missions are definitely going to get hard, but more importantly, the levels start getting REALLY LONG, like 3 times longer than a usual side quest level, possibly more.

So for those missions, you are gonna need to have the absolutely best weapon(s) and armor, and you may actually need an entire backup set of armor/shield and multiple weapons because they will wear down and become less effective during the level. And you are going to need to stock up on an assload of healing potions and you will probably need a magic spell that will help you regenerate health during a battle.

Whenever I fuck up in this game, its because the game introduces something new than I wasn't expecting.  I wasn't expecting the level to get so fucking long, so I wasn't prepared.  I didn't want to leave the level, so I had to buy gems to revive myself.

Its sucks not knowing. But now that I know, I'll be trying to be as over-prepared as possible. This isn't like the other Elder Scrolls games. I can't leave a mission halfway through and go back and regenerate health and repair my weapons. If you leave a quest level, you have to restart the level from the beginning again.

Jerry the whale, LOL. Anyway I haven’t played this week, I’m guessing you’re between level 8-10?  Or higher? That’s where they say it’s a money pit 

Edited by ghostz