[S8 EPISODE 6] Game of Thrones final season thread (dedicated to cubeaholic) OPEN SPOILERS NOW DON'T COME IN IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED IT

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

You're so fucking mad :rofls:

In a way yes.. the ending sucked terribly.  Arya OUT OF NOWHERE...

58420059_140308473766450_906295292958500

But REM she's taken some eyes!!  Red Green, and Blue too :tom: 

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"You will never walk again, Bran."   You couldn't ask for a better person to sit on the Iron Throne than a paraplegic.  

Posted Images

Well, to be fair, I rewatched the scene. It could go either way. 

I think the only way she could get so close to the night king would be to have taken form of a white walker. 

I think the scene was purposely missing the transformation, to avoid/create doubt, or because maybe the faceless skill will be crucial for the end. 

So, I will revisit the episode once the season is done. 

I still think we will learn more about the night king/white walkers before the series concludes. 

• Remij changed the title to Game of Thrones final season thread (dedicated to cubeaholic) OPEN SPOILERS NOW S8 EP3 DON'T COME IN IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED IT

The episode was pretty amazing. Once again the writers really played with our expectations, we all expected most of the major characters to bite the dust but they really only killed off 2 or 3 of them (depending on your perspective).

Edited by Twinblade
19 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Imagine making excuses for a shitty finale to a huge battle scene and seasons of buildup... but I guess you're used to pretending you're not disappointed since you think Switch ports are good. :drake: 

Fuck right off :tom: 

Whoa now calm down :alien:

4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

The episode was pretty amazing. Once again the writers really played with our expectations, we all expected most of the major characters to bite the dust but they really only killed off 2 or 3 of them (depending on your perspective).

Yeah, I’m guess the fucked up deaths will be saved for the last 2 eps. 

Just now, -GD- said:

Ok, let’s end the insults. Some loved it, some liked it, some were meh about it. It’s all good. 

and don't forget... some cried about it :bena:

The next 3 episodes will be epic too... another war next week :aitch:

30 minutes ago, Optimus Jim said:

I’m half drunk 🥴 how are

they supposed to take on King’s Landing and Cersei now? :wonder:

the two dragons should be able to thin Cersei army a bit. 

The episode was incredible, was anyone actually expecting the Night King to die here? Absolutely not, there's basically 4 entire hours of show left, it was the biggest shock I think I've ever seen in a TV show and my jaw legitimately dropped and stayed that way for like 30 seconds. Sure there wasn't some dialog payoff or huge reveal with him but you have to look at it rationally. Their goal and why they were created was to protect the children of the forest and eliminate man, there wasn't some dialog arc here, they were simply serving their purpose and had built their ranks up enough to return. 

After watching it again it's pretty clear that Arya took on the form of one of the undead, not a white walker, an undead which she killed many of. There's no other way she could have gotten close to the white walkers or the Night King, there's no way she could have even of gotten out of the castle. All of you completely glossed over that the God of Death is the Many-Faced God, so when Melisandre says "What do we say to the God of Death?" and Arya responds with "Not today"; they're clearly telling you she's going to take on the form of one of them. It's not even a hint, they're straight up telling you. 

This has been building for years, it was her destiny this whole time, her entire character arc was designed to kill him and none of us knew it. It made no sense at the time.

Edited by DynamiteCop!

Easily the best directed episode of television ever. Possibly the best war scene ever put to film

That said the plot armour the main characters have now is not the Game of Thrones we all fell in love with. Feels mostly like a missed opportunity to really bring to close an arc like Brienne or Jaime. Even Tyrion or Sansa, I thought they were going to die

I don’t mind that Arya killed the night king. And that it came early. It was a good left field moment. And we always knew the inevitable way to defeat the army was to kill the NK.

Still they could have done more with the devastation they caused across the land and more importantly I don’t believe that GRRM will leave the plot of the white walkers and their reasons for being so barren. I think it was important for the Night King to talk, say SOMETHING this episode. Or at least have Bran say something about his motives 

Overall, reflective of the last few seasons. Amazing direction but little in the way of an overarching vision for the narrative

So yeah, after sleeping on it I still think the spectacle of the whole thing was amazing but i definitely have a couple gripes. 

1) I'm kind of annoyed that only secondary characters died. I get plot armor and all but it just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Theon's death was great though and a wonderful conclusion to his arc, which is probably the best in the show...maybe Jaime will surpass him depending on the next few episodes.

2) Didn't love how the Night King died. I didn't mind that Arya killed him, I actually think that makes the most sense if he's going to die to a single character. It would either be her or Bran. He's not going to lose in single 1v1 combat so that rules out a lot of people like Jaime, Jon, Brienne, etc. You could have made it so he was susceptible to dragonfire but it would probably seem a bit too easy...Dany isn't gonna kill him otherwise. Arya was the trained assassin and she has the valyrian dagger that ultimately started this whole thing so in a way that's pretty cool. Does that confirm that Bran knew this was going to happen all along, ie that he can see the future? I'm not sure, he also said last episode that no one had ever tried dragonfire on the NK and Dany tried this episode so I'm leaning towards no. Maybe he can see possible outcomes based on certain choices which is why he gave Arya the dagger. Maybe him being able to see what she'd been through just made her the obvious choice. 

3) My bigger annoyance with how the NK fight ended was that we learned nothing of his motivations/creation/purpose/whatever. Now, we still could learn about that. I'm honestly not entirely convinced that the NK is gone. I could see him coming back, maybe in some explanation where there's just always a night king in this world and the cycle kind of begins anew. They could also obviously tell it through Bran somehow. 

4) I'm convinced none of this will happen in the books. It just seems pointless to have written this elaborate story with so much nuance and give it an anime ending. 

42 minutes ago, Casual said:

So yeah, after sleeping on it I still think the spectacle of the whole thing was amazing but i definitely have a couple gripes. 

1) I'm kind of annoyed that only secondary characters died. I get plot armor and all but it just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Theon's death was great though and a wonderful conclusion to his arc, which is probably the best in the show...maybe Jaime will surpass him depending on the next few episodes.

2) Didn't love how the Night King died. I didn't mind that Arya killed him, I actually think that makes the most sense if he's going to die to a single character. It would either be her or Bran. He's not going to lose in single 1v1 combat so that rules out a lot of people like Jaime, Jon, Brienne, etc. You could have made it so he was susceptible to dragonfire but it would probably seem a bit too easy...Dany isn't gonna kill him otherwise. Arya was the trained assassin and she has the valyrian dagger that ultimately started this whole thing so in a way that's pretty cool. Does that confirm that Bran knew this was going to happen all along, ie that he can see the future? I'm not sure, he also said last episode that no one had ever tried dragonfire on the NK and Dany tried this episode so I'm leaning towards no. Maybe he can see possible outcomes based on certain choices which is why he gave Arya the dagger. Maybe him being able to see what she'd been through just made her the obvious choice. 

3) My bigger annoyance with how the NK fight ended was that we learned nothing of his motivations/creation/purpose/whatever. Now, we still could learn about that. I'm honestly not entirely convinced that the NK is gone. I could see him coming back, maybe in some explanation where there's just always a night king in this world and the cycle kind of begins anew. They could also obviously tell it through Bran somehow. 

4) I'm convinced none of this will happen in the books. It just seems pointless to have written this elaborate story with so much nuance and give it an anime ending. 

That’s what I see/Hope happens. 

And yeah, I think bran sees infinite threads of the future. It’s why he’s given some guidance, to make sure an event happens, but never flat out gives the solution. 

On a side note: 

Every con I’ve read throughout the thread is valid, especially since the adrenaline has worn off. Still, I loved the ep and I feel like I’ll love it even more once the series is completed. 

Edited by -GD-
9 minutes ago, -GD- said:

That’s what I see/Hope happens. 

And yeah, I think bran sees infinite threads of the future. It’s why he’s given some guidance, to make sure an event happens, but never flat out gives the solution. 

On a side note: 

Every con I’ve read throughout the thread is valid, especially since the adrenaline has worn off. Still, I loved the ep and I feel like I’ll love it even more once the series is completed. 

For sure. There's a lot wrong with the episode if you start to nitpick it but I've just accepted at this point that the show has gone in a different direction which leans more towards spectacle and action and it really does pull that off. 

Interested to see what happens next episode. I assume we'll get a fallout/posturing episode. We haven't seen anything from Cersei since the first so that'll be interesting. I wonder when they'll address the Jon/Dany rightful heir shit, or if they even will, maybe one of them dies, or maybe Jon just lets her have the throne? 

3 minutes ago, Casual said:

Also, Bran spent 80% of that episode warging but we don't know what he was doing really. There's got to be some significance to that. 

It looked like he was just using ravens to observe what was happening 

• Teh_Diplomat changed the title to [S8 EPISODE 6] Game of Thrones final season thread (dedicated to cubeaholic) OPEN SPOILERS NOW DON'T COME IN IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED IT
  • madmaltese★ locked this topic