[S8 EPISODE 6] Game of Thrones final season thread (dedicated to cubeaholic) OPEN SPOILERS NOW DON'T COME IN IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED IT

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"You will never walk again, Bran."   You couldn't ask for a better person to sit on the Iron Throne than a paraplegic.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ghostz said:

What was the dead dragon breathing? I thought it was ice before, but it looked exactly like fire.. just blue, but there were no blue flames on the ground? Nothing was frozen?

dry ice :dwill:

3 hours ago, ghostz said:

What was the dead dragon breathing? I thought it was ice before, but it looked exactly like fire.. just blue, but there were no blue flames on the ground? Nothing was frozen?

Blue fire, they melted the wall with it, also think of the wildfire from season 2, it's green. They don't really show much of what the blue dragon is actually burning but logically I would assume that whatever it is burning would naturally convert to regular fire as the flame would merely act as a promoter for whatever it's hitting to burn under the elemental properties that make normal fire.

jpoDWeP.png

Edited by DynamiteCop!
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Blue fire, they melted the wall with it, also think of the wildfire from season 2, it's green. They don't really show much of what the blue dragon is actually burning but logically I would assume that whatever it is burning would naturally convert to regular fire as the flame would merely act as a promoter for whatever it's hitting to burn under the elemental properties that make normal fire.

jpoDWeP.png

Blackwater was epic! :bow:

Had a chance to watch it, have my initial feelings then also got to sleep on it.

First of all, holy shit what an absolute spectacle. The direction of the episode and the score was absolutely top class. Was edge of my seat for large portions of that and the underlying feeling of dread and doom was ever present. That 10-15 min from when the score began till the end was brilliant.

My initial reaction to that ending was pure and utter shock. Out of all the possibilities I thought was possible that one was truly not even in my mind. I was jaw dropped and super happy because I was very much invested in the battle. 

Now having had time to sleep on it and see some reactions I can very much understand the criticisms. However, the main cause of these criticisms is people bringing in lore and theories from the books and turning them into expectations for the show. This show isnt the same show it was since they have run out of the source material. It's all about the spectacle now and it has focused heavily on that. I highly doubt the books will go down this way but there was never gonna be a chance they fit all the lore ppl wanted with Azor Ahai, history and full motivations of the white walkers and so on into this. I am still reserving full judgement till the end of the show because I'm not 100% convinced this is the end of the Bran/NK story completely. If it is though I can understand people being disappointed that the main final battle is for the Iron Throne and not against the underlying threat that was the WWs, also about how simple it all was in the end.

Now back on to the episode:

-More people survived than I thought thanks to some of the heaviest plot armour ever lol I'm fine with it though, killing more ppl doesn't just automatically make things better. Plus we have plenty of time for that.

-Theon with one of the best full character arcs in the show.

-Jon and Dany were useless af. Which imo is showing that this is not their big battle. Their time is yet to come.

-Melisandre MVP

-Regarding Arya 'coming out of nowhere'. This happens in movies/shows all the time. Creators have to choose if they value the surprise over the explanation and here they did. They could very easily have shown multiple scenes to explain how she got there but they valued the shock of that moment over it. They spent a whole scene prior showing how stealthy Arya was, that even her drops of blood were louder than her.

-My biggest disappointment was that we saw NONE of the other WWs fight and all that build up of who had valyrian steel was for nothing. 

-Bran being saved by the dagger that was once meant to kill him. Poetic.

So overall, great ep! One of the most spectacular tv episodes we'll ever see. However can fully understand people being a little disappointing if this is the end of several major story threads.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Had a chance to watch it, have my initial feelings then also got to sleep on it.

Hide contents

-Regarding Arya 'coming out of nowhere'. This happens in movies/shows all the time. Creators have to choose if they value the surprise over the explanation and here they did. They could very easily have shown multiple scenes to explain how she got there but they valued the shock of that moment over it. They spent a whole scene prior showing how stealthy Arya was, that even her drops of blood were louder than her.

But they didn't, it's clearly laid out exactly how it happened. This has been a setup 5 seasons in the making. 

After watching it again it's pretty clear that Arya took on the form of one of the undead, not a white walker, an undead which she killed many of. There's no other way she could have gotten close to the white walkers or the Night King, there's no way she could have even of gotten out of the castle. All of you completely glossed over that the God of Death is the Many-Faced God, so when Melisandre says "What do we say to the God of Death?" and Arya responds with "Not today"; they're clearly telling you she's going to take on the form of one of them. It's not even a hint, they're straight up telling you. 

This has been building for years, it was her destiny this whole time, her entire character arc was designed to kill him and none of us knew it. It made no sense at the time.

It's all a callback that was subtle but clear.

"What do we say to the God of Death?"

fJKKOev.png

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

But they didn't, it's clearly laid out exactly how it happened. This has been a setup 5 seasons in the making. 

Hide contents

After watching it again it's pretty clear that Arya took on the form of one of the undead, not a white walker, an undead which she killed many of. There's no other way she could have gotten close to the white walkers or the Night King, there's no way she could have even of gotten out of the castle. All of you completely glossed over that the God of Death is the Many-Faced God, so when Melisandre says "What do we say to the God of Death?" and Arya responds with "Not today"; they're clearly telling you she's going to take on the form of one of them. It's not even a hint, they're straight up telling you. 

This has been building for years, it was her destiny this whole time, her entire character arc was designed to kill him and none of us knew it. It made no sense at the time.

It's all a callback that was subtle but clear. 

"What do we say to the God of Death?"

fJKKOev.png

Like I said, they could've very clearly shown that if they wanted but chose to go for the shock value. Which I'm fine with, I have no issue with it cause it's used in shows all the time.

The criticisms I udnerstand are ppl being disappointed with that story thread being over (if it is over)

Also for the record. B&B themselves have said that they've only known it was going to be Arya for the last 3 years (so basically S6). Basically since they've ran out of book material and had to make their own stuff up (with some guidance from GRRM), so no, they didn't know it was going to be Arya back in S3 even though there is that scene with Melisandre. The books (and by merit the show) always sets up red herrings so you don't know which will come true. Arya being the one to kill the NK fulfils that one but also throws many out the window, the same way that Melisandre's prophecy of Stannis was false and now the whole Azor Ahai prophecy means absolutely nothing.

“For, god, I think it’s probably three years now, we’ve known that it was going to be Arya who delivers that fatal blow,” Benioff explained. “We hoped to kind of avoid the expected. Jon Snow has always been the hero, the one who’s been the savior, but it just didn’t seem right to us, for this moment.” 

https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/the-game-of-throne-creators-always-knew-it-would-be-arya.html

Secondly the, 'what do we say to the God of Death', 'Not Today', is a call back to Syrio Forel back in S1, same way that 'stick them with the pointy end' is a call back to Jon Snow back in S1. 

Again, I have no problems with Arya dealing the final blow, or how, provided a truly awesome shocking moment and I'm happy to get my lore from the books anyway.

The real problem with the narrative comes back to GRRM in the end

He is one of the greatest fantasy writers of all time who developed a book series that was basically pitch perfect for TV adaptation 

D&D are not GRRM. Nobody is to be honest. And aside from a vague understanding of the ending they really don’t have the ability to put the pieces together in a way that does justice to what’s only in GRRMs head. Where the books are up to the WWs are still vague and completely unknown. Nothing of substance is known about azhor ahai or Bran’s purpose and other potential story threads exist

Probably all they knew was there would be a battle with WWs at Winterfell. Maybe that Dany and Jon would be there. Maybe that Arya kills the leader. A vague outline because even GRRM hasn’t figured it all out, despite having 8 years to wrap it up while D&D have to pull together the story from scratch in a couple months at a time 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Voidler said:

He is one of the greatest fantasy writers of all time who developed a book series that was basically pitch perfect for TV adaptation 

D&D are not GRRM. Nobody is to be honest. And aside from a vague understanding of the ending they really don’t have the ability to put the pieces together in a way that does justice to what’s only in GRRMs head. Where the books are up to the WWs are still vague and completely unknown. Nothing of substance is known about azhor ahai or Bran’s purpose and other potential story threads exist

Probably all they knew was there would be a battle with WWs at Winterfell. Maybe that Dany and Jon would be there. Maybe that Arya kills the leader. A vague outline because even GRRM hasn’t figured it all out, despite having 8 years to wrap it up while D&D have to pull together the story from scratch in a couple months at a time 

I fear they might influence the last two books. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Voidler said:

Yall are overthinking this shit

The only thing missing from early seasons is GRRM's clever dialogue

The narrative and direction are as good as they have ever been. 

54 minutes ago, Vini said:

I am a giant fan of the show but you are crazy if you think all that's missing is the clever dialogue.

The whole intrigue elements of the show and cleverness of the characters as been dwindled down massively and that has been replaced with giants spectacles. Which is fine. Tv shows are visual set pieces so it works for the medium while books require a lot more.

Tyrion went from one of the smartest characters to plain dumb.

Apparently 'Sansa is the smartest person I know' now..........lol

Dany is legit retarded.

The show went from balls to kill off anyone at any moment to ppl complaining not enough ppl are dead since end of book material.

Not even gonna go into Euron and how they've had to 'develop' him as opposed to what he is meant to be in the books. 

The show changed from S5 onwards. I'm still very happy with it's direction, the epic eps since the end of S5 have been some of my fav TV show moments ever but be real.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Voidler said:

I'm actually happy that the shows have now veered very significantly away from where I think the books are going. Provides all the excitement for the books and how that could possibly go down as opposed to just reading the narrative elements of the show in greater detail. There is so much deviation now that it feels it could literally be a totally different ending. 

Books spoilers:

Stannis still alive, Lady Stoneheart, the WWs being still very distant and don't have a 'kills the NK and kill them all' out, the Azhor Ahai prophecy, Euron and the entire Iron Islands plotline and just so much more smaller stuff too

3 hours ago, Vini said:

It’s really not.

For example, none of the characters have grown in any fundamental way from where their arcs left off in the books except Arya

Some even regressed by pivoting away from where the books were heading like Tyrion and Stannis

2 hours ago, madmaltese said:

I'm actually happy that the shows have now veered very significantly away from where I think the books are going. Provides all the excitement for the books and how that could possibly go down as opposed to just reading the narrative elements of the show in greater detail. There is so much deviation now that it feels it could literally be a totally different ending. 

Books spoilers:

Hide contents

Stannis still alive, Lady Stoneheart, the WWs being still very distant and don't have a 'kills the NK and kill them all' out, the Azhor Ahai prophecy, Euron and the entire Iron Islands plotline and just so much more smaller stuff too

Some of those plot lines are the best things still going. I think the show runners heavily undermined themselves by neglecting them.

Euron is a great character in the books and nothing like the shitshow on TV

Victarion is even better and one of the best new characters in the books. 

The Aegon plot line is compelling and could lead anywhere

Stoneheart could go anywhere and again there is nothing like it on the show. Brienne is also properly fucked up. No heroic journey for her

Tyrion is going through hell instead of 2 days in slavery before being made hand of the queen Lmao

And yeah Stannis not flopping is huge too

Not to mention that Mance Rayder is still alive  

Edited by Voidler
  • Upvote 1
  • Teh_Diplomat changed the title to [S8 EPISODE 6] Game of Thrones final season thread (dedicated to cubeaholic) OPEN SPOILERS NOW DON'T COME IN IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED IT
  • madmaltese★ locked this topic