http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&p=1&S1=(cerny+AND+sony)&OS=cerny+AND+sony&RS=(cerny+AND+sony)

It's about a system that benchmarks operational parameters (timings, latencies, etc) and key metrics (FPS, etc) on an old system and uses those parameters and metrics as targets for a new system, then refines such parameters until the metric are met. Kinda like self-tuning and optimization.

Also talks about learning from the benchmarks and setting up heuristics baseline and the possibility of testing for running software faster than originally without breaking anything - i.e. Boost Mode.

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Kind of a weird patent considering compute should resolve operational metrics to the peak of its coding by default. 

Yeah, most definitely. Except I don't think it works like that.

Edited by lynux3
27 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Kind of a weird patent considering compute should resolve operational metrics to the peak of its coding by default. 

The X doesn't work like that for One games either, it breaks the GPU into two type of operation codes, 3tflops each and each "side" handles them seperately. Something like that. Someone technical can explain it better than me.

Edited by Team 2019
6 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

The X doesn't work like that for One games either, it breaks the GPU into two type of operation codes, 3tflops each and each "side" handles them seperately. Something like that. Someone technical can explain it better than me.

It disables 20 CU's on the GPU but it is working exactly like that, those 20 CU's still make it over doubly as powerful as the S. It's using compute to push the backward compatible game to peak operation.