Stadia 4K streaming will use up 1TB of data in 65 hours

RIP people with datacaps, playing Red Dead Redemption 2 would literally max out the majority of peoples data caps for an entire month...

google-stadia-logo-with-controller.jpg.o

Google says it can provide a steady 60fps 4K stream with a bitrate of 35Mbps. That's the high end of the streaming requirements, while 1080p at 60fps drops the bandwidth to 20Mbps, and 720p 60fps requires just 10Mbps. That works out to around 15.75GB per hour of 4K streaming, 9GB per hour of 1080p, or 4.5GB per hour at 720p.

That's about what we expected, though as with all streaming services, if you plan to use it a lot and don't have an unlimited data plan, you'll want to exercise caution. Even with a 1TB data plan (which is what I have from Comcast), that's 65 hours of streaming per month at 4K. And that's assuming I don't do anything else on the internet. At 1080p60, it comes to 113 hours of streaming per month, assuming no other data usage.

Google should be providing loaded and unloaded latency for their speed test, that's the most important part.

Edit:

Speedtest: 481Mbps, 19ms

Google: 225.824

Fast: 590Mbps, 20ms

Edited by lynux3

It should be mentioned that hardware has a huge effect on download/upload speeds. For the longest time I always had slow speeds despite my ISP bill being $80/month and it took me a while to figure out why. But then I decided to upgrade my router just a few years ago (I had been using an old linksys router from 2005/6) and no joke, my download speed jumped by 80-100 mbps. I work in IT and even my colleagues were surprised by the difference.

Edited by Twinblade
2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

It should be mentioned that hardware has a huge effect on download/upload speeds. For the longest time I always had slow speeds despite my ISP bill being $80/month and it took me a while to figure out why. But then I decided to upgrade my router just a few years ago (I had been using an old linksys router from 2005/6) and no joke, my download speed jumped by 80-100 mbps. I work in IT and even my colleagues were surprised by the difference.

Really?!?! Then I'm going to buy a router next hour.

Just now, Bodycount N said:

wow... of only we had some device that could prevent this. If only we could press the data into some physical medium and play it on a dedicated device free from these constraints.

Hopefully in the future, some brilliant minds can come up with a solution.

Now announcing 128GB Switch carts!

:mj: