Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Alphonse

Phil Spencer on the future of gaming: ‘The business isn’t how many consoles you sell’

Recommended Posts

Lockhart might be alive after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think next gen MS is going to go head to head with Sony in things like exclusive marketing, or moneyhatting. Not worth it.

 

Way better things to spend money on to grow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

don't need a lockheart if you can make every device access xcloud. don't get it twisted, cloud gaming might not be great at the moment but it's the future and microsoft and google are positioning themselves to be the leaders in this shit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alphonse said:

don't need a lockheart if you can make every device access xcloud. don't get it twisted, cloud gaming might not be great at the moment but it's the future and microsoft and google are positioning themselves to be the leaders in this shit. 

:roll:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alphonse said:

don't need a lockheart if you can make every device access xcloud. don't get it twisted, cloud gaming might not be great at the moment but it's the future and microsoft and google are positioning themselves to be the leaders in this shit. 

I’m looking forward to playing games 1 day a month until my data cap is gone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Voidler said:

“The business isn’t selling the most consoles” said the company selling the least consoles 

the same company that used to say "first to 10 million wins the gen" 

 

:rofls:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn............Phil Spencer is sounding like the lemmings do on those Thursday nights when we get NPD sales information from the previous month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wouldn't be so cringey if MS wasn't by far the most arrogant market leader the space has ever seen last gen when 360 was killing it. Aaron Greenberg and Major Nelson wouldn't shut up about numbers and figures back then, now the numbers don't matter and selling consoles doesn't matter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

It wouldn't be so cringey if MS wasn't by far the most arrogant market leader the space has ever seen last gen when 360 was killing it. Aaron Greenberg and Major Nelson wouldn't shut up about numbers and figures back then, now the numbers don't matter and selling consoles doesn't matter.

Im not sure why you guys think this is some lie from MS.

 

MS isn't saying console sales don't matter and not doing anything besides that. They are going hard on GamePass and XCloud is a thing as well. If you sell 100 million and your average big game sells 10 million. What are the rest of those people buying?

 

That's why MS wants to rope people into gamepass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't consider Phil anything less than a con-man. the direction he's taken Xbox in is a worst case scenario one.

 

The fans are revolting, i've never seen xbox guys in such a disheartened state. Nobody likes where he's going. 

 

Yes, consoles sales matter, they dictate pretty much everything. Exclusives, 3rd party deals, marketing, map-packs, everything is riding on sales of that fucking hardware. If you're comfortable with the same second-class treatment xbox one owners have got all gen, then by all means pick up a scarlett. who knows if MS will even bother to release games for it themselves, let alone all the stuff you'll be missing out on.

 

PS5 is a safe bet. Xbox Scarlett is like gambling with your $500

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JONBpc said:

Im not sure why you guys think this is some lie from MS.

 

MS isn't saying console sales don't matter and not doing anything besides that. They are going hard on GamePass and XCloud is a thing as well. If you sell 100 million and your average big game sells 10 million. What are the rest of those people buying?

 

That's why MS wants to rope people into gamepass.

We've had this discussion a million times and you haven't understood yet. Sony doesn't give a fuck if you don't even buy a single first party game. If you're buying a game on PS4 they are getting a 30%ish cut. That's why selling the console matters. It's why consoles sometimes sell at a loss. The money is made on the software and that doesn't just mean first party, first party just has a bigger share. It's why Sony was anti cross play and why even gigantic f2p games are huge for Sony. Every v buck for fortnite bought through PSN, sony got a cut. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

We've had this discussion a million times and you haven't understood yet. Sony doesn't give a fuck if you don't even buy a single first party game. If you're buying a game on PS4 they are getting a 30%ish cut. That's why selling the console matters. It's why consoles sometimes sell at a loss. The money is made on the software and that doesn't just mean first party, first party just has a bigger share. It's why Sony was anti cross play and why even gigantic f2p games are huge for Sony. Every v buck for fortnite bought through PSN, sony got a cut. 

Yes they do care if you buy a first party game. And all platform owners get a cut.

MS will still get that , if you buy the game on Xbox, PC, or wherever they put it . And they want that non stop revenue from gamepass and from xcloud.

 

I agree console sales matter, for the reason you claim, and for 3rd party support. If MS sold Wiiu numbers id 100 percent agree. XB1 has a userbase that justifies almost every big game. All it really misses is the niche Japanese games. And you cannot predict what it will sell next gen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JONBpc said:

Yes they do care if you buy a first party game. And all platform owners get a cut.

MS will still get that , if you buy the game on Xbox, PC, or wherever they put it . And they want that non stop revenue from gamepass and from xcloud.

 

I agree console sales matter, for the reason you claim, and for 3rd party support. If MS sold Wiiu numbers id 100 percent agree. XB1 has a userbase that justifies almost every big game. All it really misses is the niche Japanese games. And you cannot predict what it will sell next gen.

Microsoft gets 100% digital revenue currently from PC, when Steam rolls around that will turn into about 80% but their numbers will increase. Also Xbox consoles appear to have a larger digital share relative to their total game sales so Microsoft per copy sold is technically bringing in more money than Sony.

 

If they can course correct and increase their market their revenue model is technically more profitable than Sony's just based upon software. That doesn't include GamePass, xCloud or whatever else, just pure software sales.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Microsoft gets 100% digital revenue currently from PC, when Steam rolls around that will turn into about 80% but their numbers will increase. Also Xbox consoles appear to have a larger digital share relative to their total game sales so Microsoft per copy sold is technically bringing in more money than Sony.

 

If they can course correct and increase their market their revenue model is technically more profitable than Sony's just based upon software. That doesn't include GamePass, xCloud or whatever else, just pure software sales.  

How exactly are you getting that? Unless you mean if MS and Sony sold the same amount of software? However that's my point, Sony is so far ahead in terms of software sold simply because they sold the PS4 so well. Once you're in the ecosystem the job is done. Regardless of what MS does, if Sony wins the 'console war' next gen again, regardless of their streaming capabilities, the result will be the same even if MS has better services. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×