Do video games give you that escapism anymore?

I noticed it becomes more and more harder to get into gaming the older I get. I can play for like 20 min with decent immersion (if I find that rare game that still interests me), but then I get distracted by thoughts of real life responsibilities, so I lose interest pretty quick after that, or I just mindlessly continue to play the game without caring for absolutely anything in it other than beating the game, as if its a chore, without any passion or curiousity.

Is this the curse of the high-achiever? I am guessing this is because of my work in animation, my hobby is my work, so I lose interest in it. I still love my own work, but I just become bored with other things now.

I find it very difficult to complete a game nowadays - it's rare for me to get engrossed into a game. The most recent game was Subnautica when it was on the Epic Store drew me in and I completed it within three days. Something about it being different from your standard survival game, the fact it took place (mostly) underwater, and the way the narrative unfolded kept me hooked until I beat the game.

But even my Total War games, I struggle to complete a campaign (mind you they take weeks, if not months for a 'Long Campaign Victory') and end up getting about 40-50% before I lose interest. Not too mention, I haven't even bought the most recent one, Three Kingdoms due to this lack of interest.

If I think back five or 10 years ago, I used to always complete games that I bought - unless they were trash; but that's rare. Typically I stay away from low scoring games, unless it's a genre or a style that drew me into that game in the first place.

Not really . Probably the last game was DQ , put over 50 hours and loved it but just stopped playing one day and never went back .

Even tho I love big long games like DQ , Witcher , etc ...I prefer games I can jump in play for a bit and go do something else .

I played over 1000 matches in MK and that's a good amount of hours but I like it cause I can just jump in for 30 minutes and be out . 

Edited by JONBpc

I guess I'm the same way, except I never considered games "escapism."

I play video games when I am content, and I don't feel any pressure to be doing anything else. When I'm happy, I actually feel compelled to play video games.  When I feel stressed or feel like I have alot of stuff to do, I don't want to spoil my video game if I can't concentrate.

Sometimes renting a game helps me, because the game now feels like a chore.  I want to beat the game, or else its costing me money. So I try to rent and knock out that 25 hour Assassin's Creed game in under 5 days.