Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DynamiteCop!

Xbox Scarlett may be a GPU generation ahead of PlayStation 5

Recommended Posts

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-PlayStation-5-and-Xbox-Scarlett-will-be-based-on-differing-generations-of-AMD-GPUs.423928.0.html

 

When talking about Ray Tracing Sony completely omitted specifying that it was hardware accelerated which is a huge omission and would lend credence to it being shader based and 7nm GCN with RDNA . Given that Microsoft specified that its Ray Tracing is hardware accelerated in Scarlett it could be using 7nm+ which is full RDNA architecture and encompasses RT acceleration.

 

Sony also appears to be further along in development of their system than Microsoft, as I've said their development seems quite provisional while Sony's appears to already be boots on the ground in many degrees. With the customization Microsoft is doing to their chip they may be holding out slightly longer for something better. This seems to line up with some information floating around in relation to PlayStation 5 being more powerful but Scarlett being more advanced, the power difference might relate to unknown differences in architecture that on paper appear more powerful but in reality might actually not be.

 

For example on paper a Navi 5700 XT at 9.75 Teraflops sounds weaker than a 12.58 Teraflop Vega 64 when the context of a 1.25x PPC is not applied, in reality they are basically equals. 

 

Capture88.PNG

 

F7xa99r.png

 

tpFjnj2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I've said earlier... if one system has a distinct RT advantage over the other, then it's going to be tough for the one with less RT capability.  Since both will "support" it, devs will utilize it.. and it will mean clearly better performing games on one system vs the other.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Like I've said earlier... if one system has a distinct RT advantage over the other, then it's going to be tough for the one with less RT capability.  Since both will "support" it, devs will utilize it.. and it will mean clearly better performing games on one system vs the other.

 

 

It will be interesting to see where this lands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It will be interesting to see where this lands.

Yea.  I mean I'm not taking any of this for certain, but it would make sense if Sony was further along and are using a "first generation" Navi product, whereas MS' could potentially be using a more advanced Navi which includes AMDs ray tracing implementation.  The reason why their dev kits could be less powerful is due to the fact that they're further behind and are using something akin to a Vega 56, while Sony's could now be using 5700XTs or Vega 64s at this point.

 

If Sony really did change their plans from a 2019 launch and decided to implement a custom 3rd party RT solution with first gen Navi, then maybe MS does have a more advanced version of Navi with HW based RT acceleration? Who really knows? 

 

Definitely interested regardless, because both of the consoles will support RT, which means visuals in games are going to be a whole lot better all around.  Maybe this is MS' "8GB GDDR5" moment lol :wow2: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Remij_ said:

Yea.  I mean I'm not taking any of this for certain, but it would make sense if Sony was further along and are using a "first generation" Navi product, whereas MS' could potentially be using a more advanced Navi which includes AMDs ray tracing implementation.  The reason why their dev kits could be less powerful is due to the fact that they're further behind and are using something akin to a Vega 56, while Sony's could now be using 5700XTs or Vega 64s at this point.

 

If Sony really did change their plans from a 2019 launch and decided to implement a custom 3rd party RT solution with first gen Navi, then maybe MS does have a more advanced version of Navi with HW based RT acceleration? Who really knows? 

 

Definitely interested regardless, because both of the consoles will support RT, which means visuals in games are going to be a whole lot better all around.  Maybe this is MS' "8GB GDDR5" moment lol :wow2: 

My question about all of this though is what in the hell are the prices going to be on these systems, by the day it's seeming more and more like these are walking into the space of high end PC's. 

 

It kind of seems like we're coming up on an Xbox 360 type moment, not entirely but close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

My question about all of this though is what in the hell are the prices going to be on these systems, by the day it's seeming more and more like these are walking into the space of high end PC's. 

 

It kind of seems like we're coming up on an Xbox 360 type moment, not entirely but close. 

I'm guessing $499.

 

Sony might try $449.. but yea.  They seem pretty expensive BOM-wise.  Hard to say how much either of them are willing to lose on each console though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I'm guessing $499.

 

Sony might try $449.. but yea.  They seem pretty expensive BOM-wise.  Hard to say how much either of them are willing to lose on each console though.

It makes me wonder too, in the Scarlett reveal video they made it a point to specifically notate that it was hardware accelerated. Now what makes more sense, that they said that because Sony 'forgot' to or because they know it's something they have which Sony does not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It makes me wonder too, in the Scarlett reveal video they made it a point to specifically notate that it was hardware accelerated. Now what makes more sense, that they said that because Sony 'forgot' to or because they know it's something they have which Sony does not?

You would think that if Sony had a specific hardware based accelerated RT solution, they would have mentioned it and spoke more prominently of it when they announced some of the PS5 specs/features just before E3 to take the wind out of MS' sails.  All they basically mentioned was "RT support" and spoke about how it could be used for audio.

 

If I were Sony, I would have focused on HW based RT and driven that home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man this is going to bite lemmings in the ass SO hard. The shellshock and PTSD is slowly setting in again, they are like a cancer patient support group at this point.

Edited by Team 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Team 2019 said:

The Halo demo didn't have any RT, but lemmings are hyping some unknown magical RT capabilities. Makes perfect sense.

How do you know that? :wonder: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

How do you know that? :wonder: 

So the Halo showcase had RT, yet no one noticed, from 50K+ people forums to digital foundry?

Edited by Team 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

So the Halo showcase had RT, yet no one noticed, from 50K+ people forums to digital foundry?

Weren't you fags going on about how nobody could tell the difference when Nvidia was talking about it?

 

It could have RT shadows and AO.  Just because there isn't pretty reflections all over the place doesn't mean there isn't RT. :| 

 

And who the fuck cares if Halo has it or not... what does that have to do with anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Resetera mods confirmed hardware accelerated RT for PS5. Lemmings are just having a very hard time with their next-gen dreams being shattered. And Phil's comments are making them lose hope, it's why you have all these tinfoil hat theories like at the launch of the one. They got astro turfed by MS "insiders" now the reality doesn't seem as pretty.

Edited by Team 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give it up Dyno, Xbox is dead at this point. It could have five 2080 TI in it and still nobody would give a fuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

Weren't you fags going on about how nobody could tell the difference when Nvidia was talking about it?

 

It could have RT shadows and AO.  Just because there isn't pretty reflections all over the place doesn't mean there isn't RT. :| 

 

And who the fuck cares if Halo has it or not... what does that have to do with anything?

Your showcase title doesn't have RT when your hardware supposedly has fairy dust RT hardware. DF cant tell the difference between RT shadows or lighting? This whole thread is non sense. It's just XBox PTSD that all of it's fanboys are suffering from. It went from guaranteed to be most powerful to potentially losing to PS5. It's just a hard pill to swallow. Especially after the abysmal E3.

Edited by Team 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

Resetera mods confirmed hardware accelerated RT for PS5. Lemmings are just having a very hard time with their next-gen dreams being shattered. And Phil's comments are making them lose hope, it's why you have all these tinfoil hat theories like at the launch of the one. They got astro turfed by MS "insiders" now the reality doesn't seem as pretty.

"Resetera mods" :mj:

 

No one has confirmed shit. Reality is this thread is seeming to be dead accurate.

Edited by DynamiteCop!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×