Microsoft and Sony don't need to kill Stadia, it's killing itself

Google Stadia games will cost the same as other consoles despite ownership concerns

Eurogamer recently caught up with Stadia head Phil Harrison who said games will cost the same as they do on Xbox One and PlayStation 4. He even questioned why they would be cheaper, ignoring the question of ownership. The following excerpt details the interaction.

'I don't know why it would be cheaper,' Harrison replied when Eurogamer asked. So, how does Stadia justify charging full-price for a video game you can only stream? By making it available to play on any screen, Harrison said. 'The value you get from the game on Stadia means you can play it on any screen in your life,' he said. 'I think that is going to be valuable to players... In theory, the Stadia version of a game is going to be at the highest possible quality of innovation and sophistication on the game engine side.'

He departed Microsoft/Xbox before the changes in ideology took hold via Spencer and is bringing Microsoft's original Xbox One vision to Stadia. Sounds like it's going to work out wonderfully. It's going to be funny when Xbox does this same thing but the difference will be you will actually own a digital version for your home system making Stadia's vision immediately inferior.

dims?crop=3500%252C2060%252C0%252C0%26qu

https://www.windowscentral.com/google-stadia-games-will-cost-same-other-consoles-despite-ownership-concerns

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Are you saying that Microsoft is going to sell streaming games at cheaper prices?

No, I have a feeling you'll get the features of both a digital and streaming purchase from a single transaction.

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

No, I have a feeling you'll get the features of both a digital and streaming purchase from a single transaction.

So...........Microsoft is just going to eat the cost of streaming you a game?

On second thought, if you actually gave Microsoft the full $60 for a game in their store.......you definitely DESERVE it. lol

Just now, jehurey said:

So...........Microsoft is just going to eat the cost of streaming you a game?

On second thought, if you actually gave Microsoft the full $60 for a game in their store.......you definitely DESERVE it. lol

No I assume it would be like a premium purchase or something, $79.99 for streaming access rights. 

They announced this like two days before e3. 

You pay full price for the game, without having to pay for a console or the streaming service (The free streaming option) 

So in essence someone who only plays COD can pay 60 and they're set.   Whereas traditionally you would need to purchase a 400 console + the game + the online service just to play. 

12 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

They announced this like two days before e3. 

You pay full price for the game, without having to pay for a console or the streaming service (The free streaming option) 

So in essence someone who only plays COD can pay 60 and they're set.   Whereas traditionally you would need to purchase a 400 console + the game + the online service just to play. 

You still have to pay $10 a month if you want 4K streamed version, you're offsetting none of that and coming up with no ownership of anything in the end. 

25 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

You still have to pay $10 a month if you want 4K streamed version, you're offsetting none of that and coming up with no ownership of anything in the end. 

And you have it on good word that Microsoft is not charging more for higher-res streaming????????????

You know.............if it were me, and Microsoft had pulled out of talking about their streaming service at their E3 conference where everybody was expecting it..........I wouldn't be talking shit about a competing service, if I didn't know what exactly Microsoft was offering in comparison.

5 minutes ago, jehurey said:

And you have it on good word that Microsoft is not charging more for higher-res streaming????????????

You know.............if it were me, and Microsoft had pulled out of talking about their streaming service at their E3 conference where everybody was expecting it..........I wouldn't be talking shit about a competing service, if I didn't know what exactly Microsoft was offering in comparison.

They don't really need to offer a 4K streaming service on the front end though (although they likely will) because the application can be filled by hardware in the home whether through an Xbox or PC. You don't need 4K streaming on a phone, tablet or whatever else outside of the house so the only real application for it is in the home. 

With a dedicated device they can sell you the best in home experience while also selling you a comparable service outside of it, all the while having the ability to retain ownership and be able to play your games with no connectivity. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

They don't really need to offer a 4K streaming service on the front end though (although they likely will) because the application can be filled by hardware in the home whether through an Xbox or PC. You don't need 4K streaming on a phone, tablet or whatever else outside of the house so the only real application for it is in the home. 

With a dedicated device they can sell you the best in home experience while also selling you a comparable service outside of it, all the while having the ability to retain ownership and be able to play your games with no connectivity. 

LOL............so you just bashed Google for charging you more for 4K streaming.

But then if Microsoft does the same thing, you hold them to a different standard. LOL

I'm pretty sure everything you just said to defend MS for not needing to offer 4K can apply to Stadia.

5 minutes ago, jehurey said:

LOL............so you just bashed Google for charging you more for 4K streaming.

But then if Microsoft does the same thing, you hold them to a different standard. LOL

I'm pretty sure everything you just said to defend MS for not needing to offer 4K can apply to Stadia.

No, because Microsoft has available options Stadia cannot and will not ever have. The ability to own your games, the ability to play them locally with no compression, to play them without using any external network data. 

Stadia's 4K intent is for home operation, it's meant to subsidize a console purchase which they cannot offer you. For $10 a month in 4 years you will have essentially spent the cost of owning a console without the benefit of actually having one which you own. 

It's a terrible value proposition compared to what Microsoft can offer. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

No, because Microsoft has available options Stadia cannot and will not ever have. The ability to own your games, the ability to play them locally with no compression, to play them without using any external network data. 

Stadia's 4K intent is for home operation, it's meant to subsidize a console purchase which they cannot offer you. For $10 a month in 4 years you will have essentially spent the cost of owning a console without the benefit of actually having one which you own. 

It's a terrible value proposition compared to what Microsoft can offer. 

No, you don't have any definitive answers on what Microsoft is doing.

You're literally saying what Microsoft "can offer"'.................but you LITERALLY do not know shit about what they are offering.

To paraphrase Al Pacino's Ricky Roma's character in Glengarry Glenross, you're "opening your mouth before you know what the shot is."

Just now, jehurey said:

No, you don't have any definitive answers on what Microsoft is doing.

You're literally saying what Microsoft "can offer"'.................but you LITERALLY do not know shit about what they are offering.

To paraphrase Al Pacino's Ricky Roma's character in Glengarry Glenross, you're "opening your mouth before you know what the shot is."

The point is these are things on the table, these are things Microsoft CAN do, and things which Stadia CAN'T do. 

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

The point is these are things on the table, these are things Microsoft CAN do, and things which Stadia CAN'T do. 

But you don't KNOW what Microsoft's actual pricing is going to be.

You understand how you are setting yourself up to look really stupid if Microsoft doesn't do what you predicted?

Which means that you literally WENT OUT OF YOUR way..........to type THIS THREAD, to make it backfire on you. Nobody tricked you into typing this, you did this of your own volition.

"You never open your mouth..........until you know what the shot is."

Edited by jehurey
5 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

the masses will go to the free option. 

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

The last few weeks have really taken a lot of the wind out of stadia’s sails, at least for me. It’s going to be a tough sell for anyone but the most casual of gamers.

I was a huge backer of Stadia prior to the reveal, but the moment they didn't announce a console to go with it I was out. It doesn't even matter if they completely nail the streaming because anything they can do Microsoft can do just as well, but at least they'll give you that local option if your internet is out or your WiFi sucks. There's just nothing an exclusively online platform is going to have going for it that a combination of streaming and hardware won't match and beat with the extra options.

A unique business model was pretty much the last thing they had going for them, but a regular storefront with Stadia Pro sounding like an upsell for stream quality that gets a free game here and there and is more like PS+ than Netflix for games isn't all that unique or interesting. 4k and 5.1 is cool and all, but I'm not going to give a shit about those things when I'm playing on my cell phone on the bus. They're the type of things you care about when you're sitting at home in your dedicated entertainment space...that already has the PS5 and Xbox Scarlet which just have 4k and 5.1 by default anyway.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

I was a huge backer of Stadia prior to the reveal, but the moment they didn't announce a console to go with it I was out. It doesn't even matter if they completely nail the streaming because anything they can do Microsoft can do just as well, but at least they'll give you that local option if your internet is out or your WiFi sucks. There's just nothing an exclusively online platform is going to have going for it that a combination of streaming and hardware won't match and beat with the extra options.

A unique business model was pretty much the last thing they had going for them, but a regular storefront with Stadia Pro sounding like an upsell for stream quality that gets a free game here and there and is more like PS+ than Netflix for games isn't all that unique or interesting. 4k and 5.1 is cool and all, but I'm not going to give a shit about those things when I'm playing on my cell phone on the bus. They're the type of things you care about when you're sitting at home in your dedicated entertainment space...that already has the PS5 and Xbox Scarlet which just have 4k and 5.1 by default anyway.

i couldn't agree more.