Wow Classic

1 hour ago, Cookester15 said:

What am I looking at?

Servers were absolutely rammed last night. Like 25k+ queues on most servers. They even opened 8 news servers throughout the night and those hit queues of 5-10k.

And then obviously the people that did get in are all in the starting zones, competing for the same mobs. This line is for one of the named mobs you need to kill...waiting for respawns. 

3 minutes ago, Casual said:

Servers were absolutely rammed last night. Like 25k+ queues on most servers. They even opened 8 news servers throughout the night and those hit queues of 5-10k.

And then obviously the people that did get in are all in the starting zones, competing for the same mobs. This line is for one of the named mobs you need to kill...waiting for respawns. 

So basically wait a few weeks and then jump in. 

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

So basically wait a few weeks and then jump in. 

Yeah, depends what you're going for I guess.

It's insane now, but this kind of stuff is also part of the allure of MMOs. There's definitely a balance between completely empty and what you see in those screens. Things start to get a lot better around level 10 since that's when you're out of the first zone and your options open up quite a bit. I'm anticipating tonight to be a lot better, and by next week it will probably hit that sweet point. 

Haha though I think this nonsense is pretty common on day one of any mmo. I remember day 1 ffxiv: stormblood had people doing this exact same thing.

youd figure by now these developers would get shit straight for launch day

23 minutes ago, Delita said:

Haha though I think this nonsense is pretty common on day one of any mmo. I remember day 1 ffxiv: stormblood had people doing this exact same thing.

youd figure by now these developers would get shit straight for launch day

It's a tough thing to solve unfortunately. 

It's a balancing act between letting people in on day one but not risking the servers being dead two months down the line. Vanilla WoW is very much dependent on having a relatively active server and MMOs tend to have a big spike at the beginning and then gradually lose people (could be even worse for something like this where you get a lot of people coming back for nostalgias sake with no intention of continuing playing). 

24 minutes ago, -GD- said:

i never got the appeal of this game, or any mmorpg

It's certainly not for everyone. From a core gameplay perspective, most MMOs are subpar. 

I originally got hooked on WoW for the community aspect I think. It's the only game I've ever played where I truly got the sense that you're apart of something larger. When I first started playing everything felt so foreign and mysterious. The world is absolutely huge and the variety in the zones/dungeons/raids felt incredible. Seeing hundreds or thousands of other people at any given point in time and knowing that these are all actual people, some of whom you end up working with and becoming friends with, some from the opposing faction who you end up developing a bit of a rivalry with, that one guy who has a reputation for being a ninja looter so he's been blackballed from every group on the server. You start to recognize all these names of people that play on your server and almost feel like know them in a weird sense. Maybe some Priest throws you a heal as you're questing at level 10...20 levels later you see them and remember, you group up for a quest and suddenly you've added them to your friends list and ran a bunch of dungeons with them.  You're gearing up pre-raid at level cap and get through a tough dungeon with a group, someone from there messages you saying his guild needs rogues and suddenly you're doing your first raid. 

The coolest thing about it for me was that you were always progressing, and being in this world with all these other players made you want to progress faster and further. The thing about the progression is it always felt so damn natural...it's not like Call of Duty where you're reaching level 10 and unlocking a gun. I'd be anticipating the next raid and hoping I get that 8% drop that I needed to complete my set. And there's just so many different ways to progress, whether you want to focus on raiding/pvp/professions, etc. 

Everything about Vanilla WoW felt so organic and meaningful, in large part due to the focus on community. This is something that they  gradually lost in the later expansions (probably starting with Wrath of the Lich King). Everything became queue/matchmaking based, they implemented cross server grouping/pvp whcih seemed like an excellent idea but as a result you lost that community aspect because there were now so many people and names that nothing was recognizable. I can still remember the names of tons of people from Vanilla that I never even played with directly. 

Anyway, that all probably sounds like a jumbled mess. WoW is one of those games I've always had a hard time explaining the appeal of. I doubt I'll recapture most of those feelings this time...the mystery part is largely gone and i frankly don't have enough time to invest to get caught up in a lot of the progression type stuff that makes the game fun, but it's still a dope nostalgia trip. 

• Like 2
Just now, Casual said:

It's certainly not for everyone. From a core gameplay perspective, most MMOs are subpar. 

I originally got hooked on WoW for the community aspect I think. It's the only game I've ever played where I truly got the sense that you're apart of something larger. When I first started playing everything felt so foreign and mysterious. The world is absolutely huge and the variety in the zones/dungeons/raids felt incredible. Seeing hundreds or thousands of other people at any given point in time and knowing that these are all actual people, some of whom you end up working with and becoming friends with, some from the opposing faction who you end up developing a bit of a rivalry with, that one guy who has a reputation for being a ninja looter so he's been blackballed from every group on the server. You start to recognize all these names of people that play on your server and almost feel like know them in a weird sense. Maybe some Priest throws you a heal as you're questing at level 10...20 levels later you see them and remember, you group up for a quest and suddenly you've added them to your friends list and ran a bunch of dungeons with them.  You're gearing up pre-raid at level cap and get through a tough dungeon with a group, someone from there messages you saying his guild needs rogues and suddenly you're doing your first raid. 

The coolest thing about it for me was that you were always progressing, and being in this world with all these other players made you want to progress faster and further. The thing about the progression is it always felt so damn natural...it's not like Call of Duty where you're reaching level 10 and unlocking a gun. I'd be anticipating the next raid and hoping I get that 8% drop that I needed to complete my set. And there's just so many different ways to progress, whether you want to focus on raiding/pvp/professions, etc. 

Everything about Vanilla WoW felt so organic and meaningful, in large part due to the focus on community. This is something that they  gradually lost in the later expansions (probably starting with Wrath of the Lich King). Everything became queue/matchmaking based, they implemented cross server grouping/pvp whcih seemed like an excellent idea but as a result you lost that community aspect because there were now so many people and names that nothing was recognizable. I can still remember the names of tons of people from Vanilla that I never even played with directly. 

Anyway, that all probably sounds like a jumbled mess. WoW is one of those games I've always had a hard time explaining the appeal of. I doubt I'll recapture most of those feelings this time...the mystery part is largely gone and i frankly don't have enough time to invest to get caught up in a lot of the progression type stuff that makes the game fun, but it's still a dope nostalgia trip. 

that's the best explanation i've read. i can see the appeal now. 

1 hour ago, -GD- said:

i never got the appeal of this game, or any mmorpg

I played a hunter and made friends with another hunter, his warrior pal and some druid I met earlier when we started raiding molten core. A 40man raid and everything was huge and mysterious. 

We used the teamspeak whisper function and talk the entire time, we had a well organised guild and 40 people couldnt always talk at the same time. But with the whisper function and just us 4 we could talk as much as we wanted. We would make comments about other members or just be dumb and goofy. the druid and I were still teenager i was like 14 or 15 years old and the other 2 were like in their early 20s.

I ended up being the "main puller" in MC. meaning i would lure monster safely to the raid without pulling too many adds. It was my job and it was kinda special. 

There were 2 bosses I could pull with my pet (lion/cat mostly) by taking control of it and running down a tunnel and pulling the boss. There was no other way to pull this off and it made the encounters a lot easier because it would give us a lot more room. And I remember it made me feel needed, waiting for my raid leader to tell me to pull the fucker after he had one of his talks about tactics and what we gonna do. lol i loved that part he would never stop rambling sometimes. he chain smoked too: before every boss he lighted a cigarette. :D 

well yea, the social aspect is easily the biggest appeal for mmorpgs. I got a deja vu starting with FF14 like a month ago. I didn't play mmos for over 10 years or so. and I met a lot of people by just standing around and playing instruments in a city. practicing new songs.

I still talk to the 4 dudes I raided with in wow. I remember we changed the guild once but the 4 of us always sticked together for years and cleared almost the entire raid content in classic wow and the first expansion (burning crusade). and thats a lot of content.

like casual said its about the people first and foremost but man some raid encounters are crazy good. some mechanics really made it so 40 people had to work together to beat a boss or else its wipe after wipe. and guild drama. 

• Like 1

here some pet pull. man the raid looked ugly but it was really fun :D 

lol get flashbacks from this video. only difference is i was playing a female night elf

We decided to just switch servers to something that was actually playable. Got a good session in last night, made it to 11.5 and cleared out the first area.  Kept it classic and made my NE Rogue like I played in Vanilla. Think that was my first time going through their starting zones since, surprised just how much I remember. Game is still fantastic. 

I forgot how absolutely useless stealth is early on though haha, so slow and can't sneak up on anything. Especially when the server is crowded and you're fighting for mobs. I'm debating if I want to level as Assassination (like I did back then) or go Combat. Combat is probably quite a bit faster but Assassination is more fun and gives some more PvP opportunities.