UbiSoft shitting on Steam

Uh oh Gabe , looks like the competitors are coming and kicking in your door . 

Ubisoft executive Chris Early, who is the VP for partnerships and revenue at the Assassin's Creed company, has spoken up to share his thoughts on Steam. Speaking to The New York Times, Early said the company's business model, as it stands today, is unworkable.

I think its rather clever that Ubisoft forces Uplay to start up whenever you start up a Ubisoft game in Steam.

Eventually, the person just says "why don't I just start up Uplay directly" and next thing you know they are looking around the Uplay store.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

I think its rather clever that Ubisoft forces Uplay to start up whenever you start up a Ubisoft game in Steam.

Eventually, the person just says "why don't I just start up Uplay directly" and next thing you know they are looking around the Uplay store.

lol nah. even if i had to log into my ushit account i wouldnt turn my back on my steam account with most of my games. and i dont have to start up shit if i play ubi games. 

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

They've also started putting their games on the Epic Games Store (EGS) for increased visibility; in fact they had an entire week trial for Rainbow 6, as opposed to STEAM's 'Free Weekend' promotions.

They've also stated how surprised and happy they were with Anno 1800's sales since its launch. They also pulled Anno 1800 from STEAM on launch day; thus honoring pre-orders, but enforcing future sales go directly through the Uplay store or EGS.

The move was part of a broader business discussion at Ubisoft about releasing titles on Steam, Mr. Early said. “It’s unrealistic, the current business model that they have,” he said. “It doesn’t reflect where the world is today in terms of game distribution.”

A majority of game developers who used Steam said it accounted for at least 75 percent of their revenue from sales of computer games, according to a survey released this year.

:grimaceright:

14 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

:grimaceright:

To be fair if you're a game developer - that didn't have a large Publisher behind you; then you probably don't have your own client (Bethesda, GoG, STEAM, Uplay, EGS) so selling on STEAM was the only viable platform for you to get noticed.

Just like a decade ago, you had very few options as a standup comic to release a special. Sure the massive names could go to Showtime/HBO, but you were left with either Comedy Central or selling them at shows. Now with Netflix and Amazon, at least more options are being presented to comics.

EGS giving games away ensures you can't ignore it; I mean they're free games: Two weeks ago it was Mutant Year Zero, and Hyper Light Drifter; this week it's Celeste & Inside.This isn't even shovelware being heaped on us. These are legitimate games. This of course helps to draw views to your store/platform.

Furthermore you can moneyhat developers because you have that insane Fortnite money rolling in, then you get their game exclusively, and justify it by giving 88% versus 65% of revenue back to the Developer/Publisher.

I mean you'd figure one of two things would occur from Valve's point of view: They would increase the revenue sharing for their partners, to remain more competitive. or decide that they make enough money off cosmetic items that it wouldn't be necessary; that STEAM's market share will be be adequate to maintain control.

Edited by Teh_Diplomat

epic games will stop giving free games at some point just like origin did. steam/gaben doesnt care and people will still buy the majority of their games there.

6 minutes ago, kaz said:

epic games will stop giving free games at some point just like origin did. steam/gaben doesnt care and people will still buy the majority of their games there.

Yeah at the end of the year; but imagine what 12 mos. of free game giveaways did to their userbase? A userbase that, prior to this was essentially Fortnite players.

59 minutes ago, kaz said:

lol nah. even if i had to log into my ushit account i wouldnt turn my back on my steam account with most of my games. and i dont have to start up shit if i play ubi games. 

Ahh..you people. You people are a dying breed. Steam is on its way down.

26 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

To be fair if you're a game developer - that didn't have a large Publisher behind you; then you probably don't have your own client (Bethesda, GoG, STEAM, Uplay, EGS) so selling on STEAM was the only viable platform for you to get noticed.

You don't need your own client since there's plenty of storefronts that exist outside of Steam. Valve makes nothing on a Steam key purchase on Green Man Gaming, for example, and the developer only pays whatever GMG's cut is.

30% is less than what developers see taken off on retail products, it's what they see on iOS or Android, and it's what's been on Steam for years. I'd love for it to be lower and I support EGS and hope the competition breaks Valve out of their feature slumber, but in no way do I agree with the demonetization of Valve's practices based solely on the idea that 30% is ridiculous.

Steamworks is literally free. Steam key generation is literally free. Valve has given everybody the tools to make 100% of the profit if they want to sell Steam keys on their own and with Valve covering the cost on the backend.

EGS giving games away ensures you can't ignore it; I mean they're free games: Two weeks ago it was Mutant Year Zero, and Hyper Light Drifter; this week it's Celeste & Inside.This isn't even shovelware being heaped on us. These are legitimate games. This of course helps to draw views to your store/platform.

EGS's free games are better than paid offerings from Microsoft and Sony most months lol. There's nothing wrong with free games. It's a smart way to drive traffic, it's pro-consumer, and it's pro-developer since EGS is introducing great games to a lot of people.

Like Kaz said, I don't think they'll do it forever and honestly it doesn't get me to use their client anymore that I would already do.

51 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

Furthermore you can moneyhat developers because you have that insane Fortnite money rolling in, then you get their game exclusively, and justify it by giving 88% versus 65% of revenue back to the Developer/Publisher.

That's not a pro-consumer move so it's a bit weird to see it listed in a positive way. The EGS client is fucking dog shit and getting locked into a dramatically inferior client because of business dealings is just retarded. 

55 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

I mean you'd figure one of two things would occur from Valve's point of view: They would increase the revenue sharing for their partners, to remain more competitive. or decide that they make enough money off cosmetic items that it wouldn't be necessary; that STEAM's market share will be be adequate to maintain control.

I'd love to see Valve increase their revenue sharing, but I think people are being too easily manipulated by Epic's attempts to carve themselves as the good guys despite only doing all of this because they're new to the space.

If devs seeing 75% of their revenue directly through Steam and Valve charging a 30% cut isn't sustainable, then what is seeing substantially less than that while blowing through money?

43 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Ahh..you people. You people are a dying breed. Steam is on its way down.

do you know how much money steam makes every year from the dota 2 international alone? steam wont die, its not a platform, its a cult :D  epic gaymes lmao bottom barrel nothing like origin. nobody cares

I don't have a problem with the Steam storefront, never really did.

I have a problem with what Steam turned Valve into, which is a lazy-ass developer that has no identity and no incentive to try.

They found out that being a commodity market broker made them more money than creating video games. That's no surprise, the owner is an ex-Microsoft developer.

But they usually enjoyed being the dominant storefront, and that is now splintering. Which i enjoy seeing. The big AAA games on PC are made by publishers who have their own storefronts.

And now the indie development scene is maturing enough to where certain indie developers have 10 years of products and reputation, and they now carry a prestige. While Steam is laying down, doing nothing, EGS and other storefront may be potentially signing them up to exclusivity deals.

Next thing you know, Steam is going to be like a Walmart with no brand-name items on the shelves. Just that and their DOTA shit.

Edited by jehurey
  • Upvote 1

"It's unworkable, but we'll still release retail games on consoles where Microsoft and Sony will take 30% on top of what we lose for physical circulation"

What a cataclysmic pile of bullshit. At least make your lies convincing. Dog piling on Steam is pure retardation. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!