DQXI S Definitive Edition Reviews - Another Switch Banger.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

So, it also looks like Square Enix has timed an eShop sale of previous DQ games.

I ($4.99) - http://bit.ly/2I4b8c7

II ($6.49) - http://bit.ly/2IbqGdY

III ($12.49) - http://bit.ly/2I6qFIb

So, there is no real reason to have to play all DQ games right? They are each their own contained story?

The first 3 are actually a trilogy called the "Erdrick Trilogy" and connected in an extremely cool way. (for the time)  

I have a special place in my heart for those games though.  I think DQ3 is still the greatest game in the series... but let's just say DQ11 is VERY high up there.

DQ4-6 are also another trilogy, however, they are all self contained stories.  More like they just take place in the same world.  The rest are all self contained.

So yea, there's a reason why they're releasing all these games together.  I might get 1-3 on Switch.. but I would prefer if they came out for PC myself.  Though I hear they're not very good sadly.  I think they have performance issues despite being simplistic 2D games.  But they're better than nothing.  The original NES trilogy is the way to go for me though.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

couldn't get to the store today because of that environmental cunt greta thornberg. Her dumb rally blocked up the entire city, and every dumb liberal hipster here took the day off work to go hug trees

Then just shut the fuck up  

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/dragon-quest-xi-s-echoes-of-an-elusive-age---definitive-edition    

Posted Images

Just now, jehurey said:

Those old version on the eShop look like these games were redesigned for smartphones. Its not updated pixel sprints, but more like the type of stuff you'd see in smartphone games.

Well yea.. they're ports of the mobile versions :D 

5 minutes ago, Bodycount N said:

so what's the deal with 2D mode? You can't switch seamlessly, you have to restart the game from scratch in 2D?

seems like that to me. Just got the game finally.

I think you have to start at the beginning of a "chapter" if you want to switch modes.

I admittedly haven't watched any of the reviews or anything though for the Switch version.  I think I remember hearing that in one of the vidoes I skimmed though.

That kinda sucks.  It would have been really cool if it was an on the fly mode switch.

50 minutes ago, Bodycount N said:

so what's the deal with 2D mode? You can't switch seamlessly, you have to restart the game from scratch in 2D?

seems like that to me. Just got the game finally.

I believe you can Switch in churches and or camps. 

Haven't gotten the full version as yet. 

So I checked out this video.. and yea, they really did make a lot of smart changes to this version.  There's quite a lot of new content there as well.  The GFX downgrade is pretty stark in some scenes though.

I still think the 3DS version looks charming.  All in all, it's quite impressive how much work they've put into this game over its development.  First with the improvements from the initial Japanese PS4 release to the NA PS4/Steam releases, then the 3DS being substantially different, and now the Switch version coming with improvements and extra content.

This game really does deserve all the success it can get.

Great game but I'd never go back to it. In retrospect the story was weak, I enjoy a solid turn based JRPG with great production values though. We need more of that, besides Persona 5 and this, I can't think of anything else worthwhile this gen. Way too many 'action' RPGs. Fucking shame they went that route for the FF7 Remake.

8 hours ago, Remij_ said:

So I checked out this video.. and yea, they really did make a lot of smart changes to this version.  There's quite a lot of new content there as well.  The GFX downgrade is pretty stark in some scenes though.

I still think the 3DS version looks charming.  All in all, it's quite impressive how much work they've put into this game over its development.  First with the improvements from the initial Japanese PS4 release to the NA PS4/Steam releases, then the 3DS being substantially different, and now the Switch version coming with improvements and extra content.

This game really does deserve all the success it can get.

I remember when people thought the Switch couldn't run this and would get an HD version of the 3DS game or something in between :tophat2:

2 hours ago, Goukosan said:

I remember when people thought the Switch couldn't run this and would get an HD version of the 3DS game or something in between :tophat2:

No one said that. The only thing people said is that it would look like absolute dog shit... and it does. :holeup:

Edited by lynux3
1 hour ago, lynux3 said:

No one said that. The only thing people said is that it would look like absolute dog shit... and it does. :holeup:

There was rampant speculation across the web that this would be a 3DS HD version on Switch..... Bbbut no one said this :cries:

Same Resolution and frame rate as PS4 version...... Bbbut it looks like shit :lemming:

PS4 version sounds like shit though.... compressed Midi.. entire game sounds like you're underwater :drake:

22 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

There was rampant speculation across the web that this would be a 3DS HD version on Switch..... Bbbut no one said this :cries:

Same Resolution and frame rate as PS4 version...... Bbbut it looks like shit :lemming:

PS4 version sounds like shit though.... compressed Midi.. entire game sounds like you're underwater :drake:

Well the game apparently wasn't going to be able to exist in this form until UE4 got Switch support.

So it was likely close to being a quite different looking game.  Obviously not 3DS level... but different.

What we get here is a faithful port of the original game with a few visual cutbacks that don't matter in the grand scheme of things.  The game has been improved sufficiently in other areas that it negates any of that.

16 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Well the game apparently wasn't going to be able to exist in this form until UE4 got Switch support.

So it was likely close to being a quite different looking game.  Obviously not 3DS level... but different.

What we get here is a faithful port of the original game with a few visual cutbacks that don't matter in the grand scheme of things.  The game has been improved sufficiently in other areas that it negates any of that.

That first part is true... they were waiting on native UE4 support for Switch which they said from jump. 

The 2nd part is not true, it was never close to being a 3DS HD game....

That was speculated, so much so that people actually started to believe it for a number of reasons

1) because they weren't showing the Switch version

2) People didn't believe SE excuse as to why it wasn't being shown

3) and on top of that people also didn't believe Switch could capably run a huge open world RPG UE4 game. 

But yes.. it did turn out great. 

SE waiting for native UE4 support instead of porting the game to Switch without native support like some other publishers did was a smart move 

Edited by Goukosan
8 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

That first part is true... they were waiting on native UE4 support for Switch which they said from jump. 

The 2nd part is not true, it was never close to being a 3DS HD game....

That was speculated, so much so that people actually started to believe it for a number of reasons

1) because they weren't showing the Switch version

2) People didn't believe SE excuse as to why it wasn't being shown

3) and on top of that people also didn't believe Switch could capably run a huge open world RPG UE4 game. 

But yes.. it did turn out great. 

SE waiting for native UE4 support instead of porting the game to Switch without native support like some other publishers did was a smart move 

The 2nd part is true though.  Where did I say it was close to being a 3DS HD game?  I said it was close to being a different looking game from PS4.

They waited for UE4... because they had to.  The game wouldn't have worked as is otherwise.

Also, DQ11 isn't a huge open world game...

But yea, it turned out great.  Nothing left to be said.