3Dmark put another VRS (variable rate shading) test out there using a new method.. up to 60% performance improvement

I've talked about VRS before.  Next gen consoles should also have it and it will help developers maximize performance of every frame... in some cases drastically improving performance with little to no perceptible visual loss.

Right now this is only available on Nvidia RTX Turing GPUs, but AMD's next gen GPUs and consoles should feature support for it.  This just goes to show you that raw TF numbers are completely meaningless even when judging how much of a jump these new consoles will be from the previous ones.  Things will be so much more efficient it's not even funny, so thinking in terms of "oh it's just 2x the TF of an X1X is completely laughable.

Anyway...

vrson.png

Comparisons:

VRS Off

Vrs-feature-test-tier2-Screenshot-2019-1

VRS On

VRS Off

VRS On

Shit's going to look so godly next gen when developers are making use of all these tricks available to them and they have a full grasp of the hardware :wow2: 

11 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

It needs HDMI 2.1 right? Fuck not sure if my TV has it.

No.  You're thinking of VRR which is Variable Refresh Rate... lol  This is about shading pixels.

Edited by Remij_
16 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I hope next gen consoles have this feature built in. They need it. 

They'll support it for sure.  Guaranteed.

But if you mean "built in" as in something that happens automatically without developers needing to code for it... then no.. that wont be happening. 

The good thing of course being that developers will have no reason to not code for it in their future games, so they should all just take advantage of it since it's there. lol

Edited by Remij_
Just now, Remij_ said:

They'll support it for sure.  Guaranteed.

But if you mean "built in" as in something that happens automatically without developers needing to code for it... then no.. that wont be happening.

Nah, I don't mean that at all. I understand it requires manual implementation. VRS is a great feature to have and I feel pretty confident that it'll be included as well. I just need haz confirmation. :] 

14 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Nah, I don't mean that at all. I understand it requires manual implementation. VRS is a great feature to have and I feel pretty confident that it'll be included as well. I just need haz confirmation. :] 

Yea.  I'd like it confirmed too.  Like I said.. it's pretty much certain at this point.

We'll know soon enough.