New Cerny patent (Mixing different resolutions on different parts of screen)

https://patents.justia.com/patent/20200005431

Kinda like VRS with different shade rates for different parts of the screen.

VARYING EFFECTIVE RESOLUTION BY SCREEN LOCATION BY ALTERING RASTERIZATION PARAMETERS

Sep 13, 2019

In graphics processing data is received representing one or more vertices for a scene in a virtual space. Primitive assembly is performed on the vertices to compute projections of the vertices from virtual space onto a viewport of the scene in a screen space of a display device containing a plurality of pixels, the plurality of pixels being subdivided into a plurality of subsections. Scan conversion determines which pixels of the plurality of pixels are part of each primitive that has been converted to screen space coordinates. Coarse rasterization for each primitive determines which subsection or subsections the primitive overlaps. Metadata associated with the subsection a primitive overlaps determines a pixel resolution for the subsection. The metadata is used in processing pixels for the subsection to generate final pixel values for the viewport of the scene that is displayed on the display device in such a way that parts of the scene in two different subsections have different pixel resolution.

He's probably going to run into some legal trouble with this, also it's not a patent it's merely an application. Microsoft actually has an active patent so I don't know how he thinks this is going to work. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

He's probably going to run into some legal trouble with this, also it's not a patent it's merely an application. Microsoft actually has an active patent so I don't know how he thinks this is going to work. 

Nvidia has a patent too, and so does AMD.  They all will.  Nothing about this will cause any legal trouble.

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Well I guess it depends on how it's being done. 

Yeah.  Nvidia and AMD's implementations will be different by virtue of their architectures being so different.  Sony and MS will each vary based on their API's.

I don't think there will be any problems.

1 minute ago, Voidler said:

This seems like a good idea. Chasing pixel increases at the expense of other features and frame rate is such a waste

Yeah.  It really is a waste to shade a lot of what's on the screen at full precision all the time.

9 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

:mj:

5 hours ago, Remij_ said:

He is though.

Sure he's an extremely intelligent guy, but the level of praise he gets is :scust2:

All of these patents are no doubt developed by a team of engineers, Cerny is filing them. He's like Kojima for Sony, the visionary but also the face of other peoples work. 

8 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Sure he's an extremely intelligent guy, but the level of praise he gets is :scust2:

All of these patents are no doubt developed by a team of engineers, Cerny is filing them. He's like Kojima for Sony, the visionary but also the face of other peoples work. 

LMFAO, ok I get you don't mean it like that, but I think that's hilarious

9 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Well yes and no.  He gets praise for being extremely intelligent and good at his job... but he gets a lot more praise because he's got a ridiculously storied background in the industry, and been an  instrumental part of many exceptional things.  He's also influenced Sony's developers for decades, and knows how to bring the right people together.  He's not just a guy that architects consoles... the dude has an impressive resume and has played many different roles in the industry.

Cerny's the lead architect.. he no doubt has a talented team that he works with, but at the end of the day, he makes the decisions.  Of course he's not solely responsible for everything.. but Sony likes to put a face to the work of their games, and that goes for their system too... since the very first with Ken Kutaragi.  It's just how they do things.. I don't think Cerny's trying to be some celebrity lol.

18 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

:drake: