Sign in to follow this  
-GD-

COVID-19 Discussion Thead

also, i have a rep who works for Disney. she said people are cancelling their trips left and right, and sales have come to a crawl. fuck it...i may just get a mask and go there next month. no wait for rides :smoke:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

In all seriousness,  this is kinda scary. Not the virus so much , but the panic that will happen if it gets big in the US. 

People lose their minds when we get a snow storm . People will be murdering for bread and water . 

I'm already seeing people walking around with masks on . 

My ex-wife is already starting go full doomsday mode.

• Haha 1

some shitty cough virus wipes humanity out lmfao

3x more people died from flu , this season , in US alone than people have died from corona, WW 

I guess we next year we will also have to get a corona shot. 

i just came down with a bad flu, im cold and sweating, feel like i got hit by a truck.

pray for me, one of the worst times to get a flu with this shit going on, now im scared as fuck

10 minutes ago, Bodycount N said:

i just came down with a bad flu, im cold and sweating, feel like i got hit by a truck.

pray for me, one of the worst times to get a flu with this shit going on, now im scared as fuck

:grimaceright:

Its being blown out of proportion. The U.S. is both one of the largest countries in the world and one of the most visited, the fact that there have been only 53 confirmed cases should be enough to prove that its not going to suddenly implode.

Edited by Twinblade

8 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Its being blown out of proportion. The U.S. is both one of the largest countries in the world and one of the most visited, the fact that there have been only 53 confirmed cases should be enough to prove that its not going to suddenly implode.

there have only been 53 cases because they have been ultra cautious already. also, there have been reports of faulty testing, so more may be infected. 

is it being blown out of proportion? yes and no. sars had a fatality rate of 10%, while this seems to be only at 2-3%. however, it's also new and could mutate. containment of the virus can come as early as the end of march, but that's a best case scenario. 

in other words, it's better to be cautious than careless. 

38 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

3x more people died from flu , this season , in US alone than people have died from corona, WW 

I guess we next year we will also have to get a corona shot. 

I've read that if corona becomes as common as influenza, it will likely kill between 40m-60m people annually.

1 minute ago, Saucer said:

I've read that if corona becomes as common as influenza, it will likely kill between 40m-60m people annually.

Those are pretty much the same as the 1918 Spanish Flu numbers. That infected 500 million people (1/3 of the global population at the time) and killed as many as 60m people. 

19 minutes ago, Saucer said:

Who claimed this....sony ?

17 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Who claimed this....sony ? :jonb:

:cat:

Edited by Teh_Diplomat

1 hour ago, JONBpc said:

Who claimed this....sony ?

Why do you have to be so stupid in everything. It's simply comparing the mortality rate of Coronavirus and applying it to no. of influenza infections.

There have been approx 81,000 confirmed coronavirus cases and 2760 confirmed deaths attributed to coronavirus (these are only official figures, who knows true figures). That gives it a mortality rate of about 3.4%

In the last 4 months in the US alone, approx 22-31m ppl have gotten the flu. Apply the coronvirus mortality rate to that (if it were as widespread as flu) and that is 750,000 - 1,054,000 deaths in 4 months alone, in the USA alone. So yeah, if coronovirus ever got as widespread as the flu, many millions would die annually worldwide. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/the-big-numberthe-flu-has-hit-at-least-22-million-people-in-the-us-so-far/2020/02/14/3a83c0cc-4e7f-11ea-b721-9f4cdc90bc1c_story.html (flu number source)

just a little perspective

Nearly 1.25 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled. More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.

so far all the deaths from coronavirus combined haven't equaled a single day of car crash deaths. 

What people need to be measuring is how effective is it in making you ill if you happen to come into moderate contact with it.

If its spreading quickly, then that means its highly contagious.

At that point, its just a matter of applying its kill ratio.  So yeah, people don't want this virus to break out and reach critical mass.

Yes, the regular, expected flu does kill around 20,000 to 60,000 people every year (in America, alone)....but nobody wants to see that number double, or even triple.

The regular flu is a mutated strain, so alot of people already have some sort immunity to fight it off somewhat. This Covid virus is a new strain that alot of people would not have any immunity to. It would hit you hard. Even if you survive, its gonna fuck you up really good.

They honestly should probably outright cancel any upcoming events until things get under control.  GDC, PAX, even E3 if necessary.

I think now would be a great time to use the tool called "the internet" and for them to change it up this one time and try doing GDC and E3 online where developers stream their presentations and shit like that.

MS and Sony don't need to do press events for revealing their consoles, they could do nice pre-recorded videos and stream them just the same.

Regarding the mortality rate of this new virus... is the number of deaths relative to the number of reported cases in countries outside of China a similar ratio?

What's the mortality rate of the virus outside of China?