Dragon Quest Builders 2 is amazing, better than DQXI and a must play

DQXI was so disappointing for me. 

It's like the most generic take on a JRPG I've ever played. Maybe that's DQs thing? It was my first DQ so i dunno.

The battle music was also just so fucking bad. if you're gonna have a 100 hour game with 50 hours in battles you gotta make that shit a banger. 

19 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

It's cheap now on PS4, Switch , PC. Now with he quarantine it's a perfect time to give more games a chance.

I urge everyone even remotely interested to buy it

It's $60 on Switch. :comicbookguy:

33 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I would be interested in trying out. I like the idea of game that lets you build stuff but theres also a purpose to it and a narrative to keep things moving.

Thats literally the answer I give to people who ask me how I can enjoy DQB2 and not something like Minecraft.

DQB is structured, there's a point to everything I'm building. In something like Minecraft I'm just building stuff just to build it. There's no real point besides a self-made reasoning because I don't really have to build it.

The game is too open and that's not a good thing IMO. A game needs a clear goal or something to focus on so everything you do actually feels like it matters.

55 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Thats literally the answer I give to people who ask me how I can enjoy DQB2 and not something like Minecraft.

DQB is structured, there's a point to everything I'm building. In something like Minecraft I'm just building stuff just to build it. There's no real point besides a self-made reasoning because I don't really have to build it.

The game is too open and that's not a good thing IMO. A game needs a clear goal or something to focus on so everything you do actually feels like it matters.

How long would you say it is?

I dunno. Depends on what you plan on doing. If you just want to play through the story then that'll take 20-30 hours, I'd guess. The story is more of a requirement that is needed to do in order to unlock building materials and stuff like that. Beating the story is when the 'real' game starts.

Its a building game and you have your own island that is yours to do whatever you want with. The game can easily give you 100s of hours if you dive into that aspect of it.

9 minutes ago, Sabo said:

I dunno. Depends on what you plan on doing. If you just want to play through the story then that'll take 20-30 hours, I'd guess. The story is more of a requirement that is needed to do in order to unlock building materials and stuff like that. Beating the story is when the 'real' game starts.

Its a building game and you have your own island that is yours to do whatever you want with. The game can easily give you 100s of hours if you dive into that aspect of it.

But once you finish the story don't you lose the carrot on a stick and it just becomes a sandbox builder like Minecraft? if so then im fine with getting my fill after 20-30 hours.

Not really. You can invite people to come live on your island. These people will have different roles (farmers, miners, cooks, soldiers, etc.). These people will also have different tastes that you can choose to pursue if you want. Some people will want a big house, others a small one... Stuff like that. People will also ask you to build different types of stuff for their needs (Parks, Gardens, Stores, Restuarants... Etc).

I've redesigned my island so many times because I would get new ideas for themes. I've had the village built in the mountains, tropical settings with beaches and lakes, a city in the sky... I've done so many different things and I never got bored with the game.

That's just me though, who knows if the game will grab you the same way it did me.

Oh, I forgot to mention this.

Your island is split into 3 sections and each section will have a stone tablet. On that tablet will be a list of objectives and goals. These will range from simple to more involved tasks.

You're going to want to do these because this is the only way to unlock the most useful building tools. The most powerful building tool in the game requires you to complete ALL of the objectives on these tablets.

So after you complete the story there is still plenty of carrot chasing to do. Easily at least 20 more hours worth.

Edited by Sabo
6 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

I played DQB and liked it but then fell off it. Is the sequel an proper sequel improvement or just more of the same? 

DQB2 is such a huge improvement I literally can not play the first one ever again.

The quality of life changes alone make it difficult to go back to the first.