The Last of Us 2 SPOILERS thread (unmarked Plot details ITT - beware)

always said the leaks sounded awesome. (for someone who never played the first). I will play both back to back sometime. :glad:   get on my level :juggle:  

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Im not reading any replies yet (not done with the game yet) but WOW was the criticism blown way out of proportion   Firstly, Druckmann came out on twitter and confirmed that Abby isn't trans

Joel dies. Ellie dies too. 

Posted Images

Done and finally got to go back and look at the leaks and reactions and holy shit :mj: Holy crap, imagine ruining this game with some of the most bs claims I've ever read in my life.

- Abby isn't trans. Literally had a cry because of her character model (a character build that feeds into the story btw) like the cliche baby gamer :biggrin:

- Zero Anti Christian sentiment or 'Ellie's revenge against a homophobic christian cult'. LMAO

- Zero propoganda, or agenda or pushing anything. Every single character is given time, everything shown is grey, there is no forcing values. 

- The sex scene you all lost your mind on is actually a straight sex scene. :rawf:

Holy shit the bunch of babies in this thread. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

The more I think about it, the more I think ND should have went with a new cast of characters in Part 2, like how RE has a new cast every sequel.  I mean the ending in Part 1 was perfect and there really isn't much story left to tell with Joel and Ellie unless you do something ridiculous like what happened.  Especially if you really wanted to do the "both sides" theme, a new cast of character would have been a better way to do it.  People are already too attached to Joel and Ellie. After what Abby did, ND trying to make us feel bad for her just isn't going to work, it'd just make people hate the game even more and that's exactly what happened. 

2 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Done and finally got to go back and look at the leaks and reactions and holy shit :mj: Holy crap, imagine ruining this game with some of the most bs claims I've ever read in my life.

- Abby isn't trans. Literally had a cry because of her character model (a character build that feeds into the story btw) like the cliche baby gamer :biggrin:

- Zero Anti Christian sentiment or 'Ellie's revenge against a homophobic christian cult'. LMAO

- Zero propoganda, or agenda or pushing anything. Every single character is given time, everything shown is grey, there is no forcing values. 

- The sex scene you all lost your mind on is actually a straight sex scene. :rawf:

Yeah, there are issues with the story but these fake rumors and accusations are just pathetic. People doing that are probably the ones who actually have an agenda.

1 minute ago, Pureis said:

The more I think about it, the more I think ND should have went with a new cast of characters in Part 2, like how RE has a new cast every sequel.  I mean the ending in Part 1 was perfect and there really isn't much story left to tell with Joel and Ellie unless you do something ridiculous like what happened.  Especially if you really wanted to do the "both sides" theme, a new cast of character would have been a better way to do it.  People are already too attached to Joel and Ellie. After what Abby did, ND trying to make us feel bad for her just isn't going to work, it'd just make people hate the game even more and that's exactly what happened. 

I keep reading this and so much disagree that that was even at all a theme of the game. Constantly keep seeing, 'beating you over the head to feeling guilty for killing these ppl' when it literally does none of that. In fact the ending once again reinforces that Joel doesn't regret a single thing. The game is about TWO revenge tales instead of just one. It's like Oldboy in that sense. You go in expecting the revenge tale for Ellie then are shown a parallel revenge tale. It's just showing a different perspective and never once says any side is wrong. In fact, the whole game and world is never judged, it's always given context and made to understand ppl's point of view, even the Serphites aren't portrayed as outright evil. 

It's frustrating continually seeing that shallow theme brought up becuase if that was their intention then it would've been done so differently. If the game wanted us to feel bad for Ellie killing Abby's friends or Joel killing the doc it would've been told totally different. For one, it would've been played side by side so you're attached to the new characters instead of killing them when you have zero attachment. It would'nt have literally saved the last scene of Joel and Ellie ever as Joel flat out saying he would do it all again. It wouldn't at all intentionally make you hate Abby and then do the switch at the most frustrating part from a player perspective. All these narrative choices are to push totally different story themes that what you are saying. 

The game is about Hate. We all easily relate with and understand Ellie's hate and then the game sells you on Abby's hate. It's not selling you on guilt at all. Everyone is justified. That is the theme throughout the entire series and it continues here. We see two parallel characters that mirror each other nearly identically and then when the two tales meet, from then on it's a character study into how one is able to let go of the hate and the other isn't. 

Yeah, there are issues with the story but these fake rumors and accusations are just pathetic. People doing that are probably the ones who actually have an agenda.

Without a doubt. They literally created a fake context to the leaks :biggrin: It's hilarious going back and reading it all having played the game first instead of filling your head with made up stuff and taking so much baggage into the game 

I think the story asks more from the player than any other game narrative prior. It will be divisive but so was the original when it came out. The worst thing it could have been was safe and it most definitely wasn't.  

12 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

I keep reading this and so much disagree that that was even at all a theme of the game. Constantly keep seeing, 'beating you over the head to feeling guilty for killing these ppl' when it literally does none of that. In fact the ending once again reinforces that Joel doesn't regret a single thing. The game is about TWO revenge tales instead of just one. It's like Oldboy in that sense. You go in expecting the revenge tale for Ellie then are shown a parallel revenge tale. It's just showing a different perspective and never once says any side is wrong. In fact, the whole game and world is never judged, it's always given context and made to understand ppl's point of view, even the Serphites aren't portrayed as outright evil. 

It's frustrating continually seeing that shallow theme brought up becuase if that was their intention then it would've been done so differently. If the game wanted us to feel bad for Ellie killing Abby's friends or Joel killing the doc it would've been told totally different. For one, it would've been played side by side so you're attached to the new characters instead of killing them when you have zero attachment. It would'nt have literally saved the last scene of Joel and Ellie ever as Joel flat out saying he would do it all again. It wouldn't at all intentionally make you hate Abby and then do the switch at the most frustrating part from a player perspective. All these narrative choices are to push totally different story themes that what you are saying. 

The game is about Hate. We all easily relate with and understand Ellie's hate and then the game sells you on Abby's hate. It's not selling you on guilt at all. Everyone is justified. That is the theme throughout the entire series and it continues here. We see two parallel characters that mirror each other nearly identically and then when the two tales meet, from then on it's a character study into how one is able to let go of the hate and the other isn't. 

You could be right but my point still stands. Whatever shit they tried to sell you with Abby just isn't going to work, people just don't care about a character they have no attachment to who did something so terrible at the beginning of the game.

I think the narrative issues are that to tell the story how they wanted to tell it they had to completely destroy the pacing. In doing so completely alienates ppl who just want a tight straight narrative. This is not that at all. They reinforce the hate for Abby so much from making her playable in the chapter that Joel dies to then making her playable again at the most frustrating time. That switch and the next 1-2 hours of gameplay was so difficult but so internationally done. Then without even realising I went from hating that I going to have to go through the entire 3 days as abby (since it was clear from the start) to not only thinking that that half of the game is better from a game perspective (my fav parts of the game was doing down the hotel and the Island.....holy fuck the island) but also being all in on her revenge to the point where I was ready to fight Ellie in that amazing sequence. ANd I wasn't at all against Ellie, it's just I now bought into this revenge tale too. Then after the time jump I was basically constantly just hoping Ellie lets it go like Abby did but she couldn't. I didn't truly appreciate exactly why till the amazing last scene with Joel and Ellie where she says that she can never forgive him for taking away the meaning in her life (but would like to try). Her life since Joel's decision in TLoU has been meaningless...it's just outright survival and nothing more when prior it was about saving humanity. This hole in her life was filled by her new meaning.....getting revenge for Joel. Her 'happier ever after life' wasn't happy at all and she throws it all away to try and create that meanign in her life again. Meanwhile Abby let it go the second time she let Ellie live. Lev now fills that hole of loss in her life (the exact way Ellie did for Joel in the original) and hate is now longer her motivation. After everything that happens in Santa Barbra, when Ellie finally meets up with her again and cuts her down, Abby isn't even thinking about revenge for a single second. Instantly to save Lev then get on the boat, meanwhile Ellie just need to create that Hate again from nothing, to the point where only threatening Lev could do it. The hate had died but she needed it to live for a purpose. That final fight is so fucking good, one of the hardest things to play ever (close to how hard to was to fight Ellie even though you understand Abby's tale). Then in that final moment she realises the hollowness of it all. Thematically going back to that amazing scene with Owen and Abby and Owen explaining why he couldn't kill that particular Serphite after killing so many prior. That look that he saw on the old man's face as he didn't even reach for a weapon, he was just tired. Tired on this life, tired of this world and Owen just couldn't kill him even though they were enemies. 

Last of Us is and always should be deep character dives not unexpected plots and twists (basically opposite to Kojima) and this is the most nuanced character story we've ever got in a game. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen anyone mention it but the only part of the story that bothered me was actually the scene at the very beginning when Joel dies

The whole idea that someone who has been so meticulous and careful about his survival, partly because of the numerous enemies he made throughout the course of the first game would suddenly say his real name to a bunch of strangers he just met was silly.

I know that moment needed to happen to set up the rest of the game, but I wish they had found a more logical way to reveal his identity to Abby and her crew.

4 minutes ago, Pureis said:

You could be right but my point still stands. Whatever shit they tried to sell you with Abby just isn't going to work, people just don't care about a character they have no attachment to who did something so terrible at the beginning of the game.

But even you yourself said this in the other thread:

By the end of the game, I didn't hate Abby as much and actually didn't want that revenge anymore.

and for GD he actually liked Abby even more than Ellie and resonated more with her.

I mean those two lines alone just prove the strength of the narrative.

This game intentionally stacks everything against Abby through the first hafl of the game and then somehow has made you at the very least not want the revenge anymore. Now remember how on board for that revenge you were early on. I know I was ready to fucking murder everyone with Ellie. And like you said, we carry soooo much weight from the original going into this. So just look at it from an outside perspective and think that Part 2 is going to introduce a new character, have this character murder our fav character and then want you to kill to character so bad but at the end of the game not want that all and actually just want Ellie to move on. You have to admit that was a giant mountain to climb and that they somehow managed it. 

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

But even you yourself said this in the other thread:

By the end of the game, I didn't hate Abby as much and actually didn't want that revenge anymore.

and for GD he actually liked Abby even more than Ellie and resonated more with her.

I mean those two lines alone just prove the strength of the narrative.

This game intentionally stacks everything against Abby through the first hafl of the game and then somehow has made you at the very least not want the revenge anymore. Now remember how on board for that revenge you were early on. I know I was ready to fucking murder everyone with Ellie. And like you said, we carry soooo much weight from the original going into this. So just look at it from an outside perspective and think that Part 2 is going to introduce a new character, have this character murder our fav character and then want you to kill to character so bad but at the end of the game not want that all and actually just want Ellie to move on. You have to admit that was a giant mountain to climb and that they somehow managed it. 

Yeah I truly felt that way by the end of the game. But I also still didn't care much about Abby or any of the new characters tbh, if that makes sense.

Yeah I truly felt that way by the end of the game. But I also still didn't care much about Abby or any of the new characters tbh, if that makes sense.

Yeah that's fair enough, I think GD will be in the minority of actually liking Abby more but I think the game just being powerful enough to extinguish the Hate of the player (after they intentionally stack it up against her) is more than good enough. Sort of the same way that at worst you can understand Joel's decision in TLoU even if you don't agree with it. I loved the parallel's between the characters and for a game that kills Joel so early, it has some of the best Joel and Ellie moments too. 

If I had to make a list of Top 10 moments in Last of Us franchise, the original would have 3 and the sequel would have 7

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, madmaltese said:

That fool Remij ruined his "most anticipated game of the gen" for fake and out of context spoilers..... what a fucking clown :lawl:

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

If they decide to make story focused DLC (like Left Behind), what are you guys hoping to see? I think an origin story that follows Yara and Lev while also delving deeper into the background of the Scars would be pretty cool.

yes! the the origins of the seraphites would own! 

19 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Fucking idiots. :rofls:

19 hours ago, madmaltese said:

SPOILERS?? wtf