Respawn founders launch new AAA studio "Gravity Well"

"We have built nothing but AAA games and we don't want to stop," McCoy concludes. "And the transition to next-gen, Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 is really exciting. It dovetails with our desire to find new spaces that people haven't explored.

"While this new generation feels like an iteration of what we've already seen, I think that things like the amount of CPU power and I/O speed actually opens up opportunities that we haven't had before. Even when the Xbox One and PS4 were in development, what we were screaming at platforms to do was give us faster I/O, please. I am excited to see where we can get to with it."

McCoy and Shiring are currently seeking people to help launch Gravity Well, with an aim of reaching 80 employees.

"We shipped Titanfall with about 70 developers, Titanfall 2 with about 85, and Apex was a little over 100," McCoy says. "That is the team size we are really comfortable with. That's the size where decision making can be spread out and it doesn't need to come from someone at the top of a pyramid. You get tonnes of speed benefits because the team is smaller, they understand the game better, and they can make decisions on an hourly basis without having to interact with a bunch of other people. So keeping a team smaller, while still trying to hit all the hallmarks of a AAA game, that's the aim."

Keeping the team small -- at least for a AAA company -- will also allow employees to feel like they're making an difference, McCoy says