Neil Druckmann: You'll either love or hate TLOU2, no in between

If you enjoyed the original Last of Us, you might not like the sequel, writer-director Neil Druckmann says. Speaking to Wired, Druckmann said Naughty Dog has created a divisive game with The Last of Us Part II, and he expects some people to come away with a sour taste in their mouth. You can check out our The Last of Us 2 review to see what we thought about it, too.

"Some of [the fans of the original game] are not going to like this game, and not like where it goes, and not like what it says or the fate of characters that they love," Druckmann said. "I'd rather have people passionately hate it than just be like, 'Yeah, it was OK.'"

This commentary from Druckmann is nothing new for The Last of Us Part II. Before this, Joel actor Troy Baker said he expects the game to be divisive. He said he hopes the narrative challenges players' expectations of "what the game is, what the world is, who the characters are--everything."

"I don't know whether people are going to like it or they're going to hate it, but they definitely will NOT be ambivalent about it," he added.

The Last of Us Part II launches on June 19 for PS4, and it will be playable on PlayStation 5 later on. It's followed by two other PS4 exclusives in July, with Iron Man VR launching on July 3 for PSVR and Sucker Punch's Ghost of Tsushima arriving on July 17.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-last-of-us-2-isnt-for-everyone-director-warns/1100-6478271/

Interesting, this actually reminds me of the reception to Death Stranding. It sounds like one of those rare games you don't easily forgot, even if its not what you expect or hope it to be.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Especially you, faggot. Now, suck my dick.

After all that trash talk, Remij is still going to play it 

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

No way!! 

I said I disliked what they did with it and I was told I just didn't get it and I was a hater..... :lemming: 

- You haven't played the game yet

- Many of the spoilers you read were confirmed to be fake.

- Even if you did watch a out of context leaked 2 hour video, that still only accounts for a small portion of the entire game's story (which is estimated to be around 25 hours long depending on your playstyle).

Why do you keep self owning yourself? Theres still a chance that you could like the game, if you try it....

9 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

No way!! 

I said I disliked what they did with it and I was told I just didn't get it and I was a hater..... :lemming: 

Please send me your advanced copy that you’ve completed <3 

Just now, Twinblade said:

- Even if you did watch a out of context leaked 2 hour video, that still only accounts for a small portion of the entire game's story (which is estimated to be around 25 hours long depending on your playstyle).

Why do you keep self owning yourself? Theres still a chance that you could like the game, if you try it....

Nope.

-I don't NEED to play the game to know I don't like the direction they went WITH THE STORY.. and I KNOW the direction they go with the story...

-And NO... I didn't READ spoilers... I WATCHED THEM.. there's no other context that I need to make up my mind about what I've seen lmao..

You're the one who keeps owning yourself.  Keep posting more instances of the developers themselves saying people might not like it... while arguing with me about the fact that I know more about it than you do and I don't like it :sabu: 

Just now, -GD- (not mod, can’t help) said:

Please send me your advanced copy that you’ve completed <3 

I don't need to play the game to know that I don't like where the story goes... lmao..

4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I don't need to play the game to know that I don't like where the story goes... lmao..

But you may love the game because it’s a great game. Play it for yourself and formulate your own opinion. But teh leaks :cry: 

3 minutes ago, -GD- (not mod, can’t help) said:

But you may love the game because it’s a great game. Play it for yourself and formulate your own opinion. But teh leaks :cry: 

Of course I'm going to.  Just like I formulated my own opinion on the story based on what I know for a fact that the game is doing.

Not everyone has to like everything Naughty Dog does... bubu youre jus a hater :cry: 

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

Of course I'm going to.  Just like I formulated my own opinion on the story based on what I know for a fact that the game is doing.

Not everyone has to like everything Naughty Dog does... bubu youre jus a hater :cry: 

But you don’t know the whole story (including context). Perhaps, it’s even worse than you think...or way better. You just come off as ignorant. That’s all. Almost like a retardcop-lite. 

5 minutes ago, -GD- (not mod, can’t help) said:

But you don’t know the whole story (including context). Perhaps, it’s even worse than you think...or way better. You just come off as ignorant. That’s all. Almost like a retardcop-lite. 

Yea, it could be... which is why I'm going to play it.  

Yet that STILL WONT CHANGE what I dislike about the game lmao...

What's funny to me is that you guys are the ones who are coming off as ignorant.  If I had seen the leaks and LOVED what they did... and spoke about how amazing it was... none of you would have said shit about "hey maybe you should wait for proper context and play it all yourself".. you would have been like "omg NAUGHTy GOdz"  :drake: 

Edited by Remij_
Just now, Goukosan said:

After all that trash talk, Remij is still going to play it :mj:

I can hate the story and what they did, and still enjoy parts of the game.

I've been anticipating this game for years... I'll always give a game it's fair shot.

Just don't expect me to love what they've done with it :shrug: 

3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

'I don't like the direction they went with the story'

*has seen maybe 10%-15% of the story the game has to offer*

Yeah makes perfect sense.

From parts all over the game.... :snoop: 

And that's 10-15% more than you :drake: 

Hey... if I say what I know about the story... that's not spoiling much right?  Just 10-15%???  Why would you get mad if I just spoil 10-15% of the story... there's still LOTS MORE for you to discover... right?  :danylol:

Idiot :tom: 

Edited by Remij_
30 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

nah there are literally hours of footage that leaked that confirm most of them

Game's a disgusting flop I hope you hate it but you still wouldn't admit it if you do :glad: 

1 minute ago, Substatic said:

Sounds like a shitty movie game.

It's ND, of course it is

I mean a few spoilers can literally ruin the entire 'game' and its plot :kaz: