Nvidia is apparently bundling Death Stranding with RTX GPUs because DLSS2.0 is so good on it

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-death-stranding-pc-60fps-was-the-original-vision

Resolution has by far the biggest impact on performance, and at least there are some innovative options here. AMD's contrast adaptive shading renders at 75 per cent of the native resolution in both vertical and horizontal axes, then sharpens the image based on contrast at minimal cost. The results are broadly OK, but are totally eclipsed by Nvidia DLSS 2.0 support. Performance and quality options are available, using AI upscaling from 50 per cent to 67 per cent respectively, again on both axes. This allows an overclocked RTX 2060 to hit 4K60 in performance mode (!) while the quality preset delivers better-than-native image quality. Nvidia's so impressed with the results, it's bundling Death Stranding with RTX GPUs.

There's no video's up yet, just the article.  But the video embargo is up tomorrow so it will be posted then.

Some takeaways:

-Kojima always had 60fps in mind with the game

-Decima on PC is kept up for production purposes, so they built off of that

-Decided DX12 was the way to go because certain features of the game weren't really possible with DX11 (ie Tiled Resources feature of DX12)

-The work they did changed how the game utilizes CPU threads for streaming in world geometry and thus can run on lower core CPUs at faster FPS than before

-Easily hit over 120fps on a Core i5 8400

-In engine cutscenes appear to be capped at 60fps though

-PS4 had 4x Anisotropic Filtering, PC has forced 16x in all situations

-Game has extended LODs over the console versions but other than that... it's basically a match for console settings

Edited by Remij_
1 hour ago, Ike said:

This on max settings is probably a great preview of next-gen since it's running on the HZD2 engine.

yeah,  this will look nuts maxed on PC. 

2 minutes ago, nitric said:

I can’t do 60 FPS anymore :mjgrin: 144 or bust 

Yeah you can really notice the difference.

Play Halo: Master Chief Collection with unlimited FPS @ 144/165hz then change it to 60fps... the difference in smoothness and responsiveness is IMMEDIATELY apparent.

3 minutes ago, Remij (not a Lem cant help said:

Yeah you can really notice the difference.

Play Halo: Master Chief Collection with unlimited FPS @ 144/165hz then change it to 60fps... the difference in smoothness and responsiveness is IMMEDIATELY apparent.

I did. I do it with a lot of games. Doom eternal on ultra nightmare at 144 is a sight to see :mjcry:

Just now, nitric said:

I did. I do it with a lot of games. Doom eternal on ultra nightmare at 144 is a sight to see :mjcry:

The Doom games run so fucking good lmao... it's almost disgusting how smooth they are even with all the crazy shit happening. :whoo: