Covid-Ball '20 Thread

Let's just start with a :bow: for bringing back a ball sport that I can watch.

I'll watch Lonzo with the Pelicans take on the Nets with essentially only their bench, at this point it's just great to see live sports back in action.

Just thought I would start a new thread, as the last one was the playoffs thread, and didn't want to bump it, for this truncated/disrupted season of ball.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

News journalists were allowed into one of the three courts, and its sorta like a basketball court built inside a television studio with cameras on the opposite side.

But they hinted that the walls that surround most of the basketball court are large LED walls, and what will happen is that during a game, fans for those teams playing will be able to logon and have their faces shown in real-time and they will have the walls show all of those faces.

And supposedly the fans will be able to affect crowd-noise, and things like that when a team is playing on their home court.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

News journalists were allowed into one of the three courts, and its sorta like a basketball court built inside a television studio with cameras on the opposite side.

But they hinted that the walls that surround most of the basketball court are large LED walls, and what will happen is that during a game, fans for those teams playing will be able to logon and have their faces shown in real-time and they will have the walls show all of those faces.

And supposedly the fans will be able to affect crowd-noise, and things like that when a team is playing on their home court.

It's on right now on TNT if you want to see how they've got it laid out.

They've also shortened the scrimmage games (pre-season of the play-ins) to 10 minutes a quarter.

Right now for example, that LED banner is adorned with BROOKLYN NETS since it's their home game.

Baseball first up on Friday. I’m kinda excited to see a 60 game season. The games have more meaningful impact and the fact their mostly divisional matchups makes them that more exciting. 

5 hours ago, Delita said:

I can’t believe Lakers signed JR Smith :snoop:

They were playing so well too before the break. That Clippers game was so good and seems like a decade ago. :mjcry:

I’m still surprised Seattle hasn’t gotten another nba team. :interesting:
At this point it’ll still probably more likely than Vegas getting one though. 

Mavs and Lakers coming up today :whew:

15 minutes ago, Delita said:

Balmer should really just move the Clippers at this point. :hest:

1 hour ago, Delita said:

This is the main consideration for other owners when allowing expansion or relocation in their sport.

The NFL owners approved the move of the Raiders to Las Vegas as they knew the team would make more money there which, with revenue sharing would lead to an increase in the cap. This is despite the fact that they have a legion of fans in Oakland in a stadium that was just a portioned baseball field.

It's also why the NHL approved a new team in the US, even though Quebec city (Nordiques) had built a new stadium for this express purpose. The main issue with a new NHL team in Canada? All salaries to players are paid in US funds, although their revenue will be mostly received in CDN funds (advertising, sponsors, tickets, merch) thus owners see a wealthy city like Seattle and know that regardless of how well the team does, that there is more money to gain from sponsorship, and advertising in the Pacific Northwest.

16 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

This is the main consideration for other owners when allowing expansion or relocation in their sport.

The NFL owners approved the move of the Raiders to Las Vegas as they knew the team would make more money there which, with revenue sharing would lead to an increase in the cap. This is despite the fact that they have a legion of fans in Oakland in a stadium that was just a portioned baseball field.

It's also why the NHL approved a new team in the US, even though Quebec city (Nordiques) had built a new stadium for this express purpose. The main issue with a new NHL team in Canada? All salaries to players are paid in US funds, although their revenue will be mostly received in CDN funds (advertising, sponsors, tickets, merch) thus owners see a wealthy city like Seattle and know that regardless of how well the team does, that there is more money to gain from sponsorship, and advertising in the Pacific Northwest.

:interesting:damn, I didn’t think about salaries but it makes sense.

It’s honestly about the stadium. We don’t have proper NBA court. Hopefully this renovation of Key Arena will make it more desirable. I have to travel to Portland for my nba games. :mjcry: 

Raptors looked really strong tonight. They has a bad last part of the 1st quarter, but continued to put guys into space and shutdown the lanes; and when you're up against the Rockets, it's really about limiting their ability to get too far ahead of you.

That was probably the best scrimmage thus far, and I enjoyed seeing how solid the team looked tonight. That bench is never discussed (let alone the starters) during sports shows, but this team is really deep, and more importantly, competent.