Kraken benchmarks, perf analysis (with and without RDO). What PS5 hardware will be capable of.

Dataset 1 (Texture data BC1,3,4,5, and 7. Mix of diffuse, normals, etc.)
Kraken ratio: 1.76:1 (PS5 perf will be: 5.5GB/sec * 1.76 = 9.68GB/sec)
Kraken + RDO ratio: 3.13:1 (PS5 perf will be: 5.5GB/sec * 3.13 = 17.2GB/sec)

Dataset 2 (Texture data BC6 and 7. Mix of diffuse, normals, etc. Very much what MSFT expects of BCpack data)
Kraken ratio: 1.78:1 (PS5 perf will be: 5.5GB/sec * 1.85 = 10.1GB/sec)
Kraken + RDO ratio: 3.99:1 (PS5 perf will be: 5.5GB/sec * 1.99 = 21.9GB/sec)

https://cbloomrants.blogspot.com/2020/07/performance-of-various-compressors-on.html

21 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

Me ITT:

tenor.gif?itemid=8911096

Oodle texture allows textures to be more compressible by many types of compressors.  It not only allows textures to be compressed more, but it also decodes much faster too.  A byproduct of this is that it has a multiplicative effect on the bus from Storage to Memory.  The compressed data is sent over the bus and then decompressed using the hardware decompression block, or the GPU inside the consoles.. thus meaning that 5.5GB of compressed data you sent over the bus is really 10-20GB worth of data.

The good thing about this is that it works with everything... and  they can decompress on the GPU.. meaning PCs can see huge advantages from this as well.

This is Sony's answer to BCPack that MS has.. although it remains to be seen if BCPack is as good or better.  The only puzzle missing now from Sony is an answer to Sampler Feedback Streaming.. where only tiny pieces of textures are required to be in memory (having a multiplicative effect on RAM capacity AND I/O throughput) instead of keeping whole textures in memory.

Edited by HALOmij
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, HALOmij said:

The good thing about this is that it works with everything... and  they can decompress on the GPU.. meaning PCs can see huge advantages from this as well.

Oh snap! :robot:

1 minute ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

Oh snap! :robot:

:smoke: 

A single Skylake core @3GHz can decompress at 3-5GBs with this tech. B) 

cores.png

Decompression on the CPU and/or the GPU..  PCs have GPU power for days.. and it can be done asynchronously via async compute.

There's a lot of exciting tech that's coming with these new consoles which is also going to benefit modern PCs in many ways.

In don't think that because you can load everything into ram that's how fast a game will load. there are other pieces in the engine that need to come together before you can take control of a character and actually play. 

Will take some time for devs to get their shit together on the development part before the SSDs speeds can be utilized with a major effect. 

12 hours ago, lynux3 said:

I remember when Failmij said I was an idiot for saying PS5's SSD is technically capable of 22GB/s. :mj:  :reg: 

No... with the information known back then it wasn't technically capable of 22GB/s.... it was capable of ~10GB/s.  I stand by what I said.

Cerny that sneaky bastard knew that Oodle had some new compression tech in the pipe... but only alluded to it... and this only affects textures.. which are most of the game data but not all of it.  ~25-30% can't be compressed that much. :trump2: 

6 minutes ago, HALOmij said:

No... with the information known back then it wasn't technically capable of 22GB/s.... it was capable of ~10GB/s.  I stand by what I said.

Cerny that sneaky bastard knew that Oodle had some new compression tech in the pipe... but only alluded to it... and this only affects textures.. which are most of the game data but not all of it.  ~25-30% can't be compressed that much. :trump2: 

Cerny said 22GB/s back in March during his technical overview. :ready:

20 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Cerny said 22GB/s back in March during his technical overview. :ready:

I know he did... but at the time given the compression tech (and that means kraken itself) there was no reason to think that was possible.  10GB/s with Kraken really was the limit.. which is why they said ~9GB/s.  Cerny alluded to stuff that compresses "particularly well" but Kraken itself doesn't compress THAT well.  But of course, Cerny knew about Oodle Texture... and given how well it allows textures to be compressed, yeah it's accurate... as far as textures go.

Edited by HALOmij