Devs react to the Xbox Series S specs

6 minutes ago, Voidler said:

You know better than devs

So you decide to post a tweet which echo's my thoughts on it exactly?  lmao..

The studios that CAN/WILL do what's necessary... are the ones who are going to be making "next gen" games in the first place..

57 minutes ago, Remij said:

It's already hilarious to me seeing sheep in this thread.  I mean, the ones who say X,Y, and Z are possible on Switch "they just have to downgrade the gfx"... but then they cant seem to understand how this will work :tom: 

Unless Xbox starts selling like Switch and PS4 it wouldn't be worth it for devs to put in the extra work to optimize for two Xbox systems.   One of them will get the short end of the stick.  Either Series X will be held back or series S will struggle to keep up. 

Just now, Goukosan said:

Unless Xbox starts selling like Switch and PS4 it wouldn't be worth it for devs to put in the extra work to optimize for two Xbox systems.   One of them will get the short end of the stick.  Either Series X will be held back or series S will struggle to keep up. 

Obviously this won't apply to every game and there will be devs who take the time to optimize the game well for both systems.

24 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

@AlphonseYou've gotta fix a couple things man.  Is it possible to put the edit button back down where it normally was beside the quote button?  I've ended up quoting myself too by accident when I meant to edit.  Clicking those 3 dots and then doing it like that is annoying.  If that can be fixed it would be much appreciated.  Also, as you can likely see, tags don't show up either.

Thanks for switching the bars to grey though, looks awesome ❤️

7 minutes ago, Remij said:

@AlphonseYou've gotta fix a couple things man.  Is it possible to put the edit button back down where it normally was beside the quote button?  I've ended up quoting myself too by accident when I meant to edit.  Clicking those 3 dots and then doing it like that is annoying.  If that can be fixed it would be much appreciated.  Also, as you can likely see, tags don't show up either.

Thanks for switching the bars to grey though, looks awesome ❤️

I'll see what I can do 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Alphonse★
      https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/20/cowen-predicts-eas-battlefield-v-will-be-a-serious-disappointment-citing-weak-pre-orders.html

• By Remij
      https://wccftech.com/hdr-gaming-interest-group-formed-optimize/

So a bunch of gaming and display companies grouped together to improve and adhere to certain best practices for optimizing HDR content.

Activision Publishing, Inc. ASUSTek Computer Inc. CAPCOM Co., Ltd. Electronic Arts Epic Games HP Inc. Koninklijke Philips N.V. LG Electronics, Inc. Microsoft Corporation Panasonic Corporation SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS Co., Ltd. Sony Interactive Entertainment Sony Visual Products SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. Toshiba Visual Solutions Corporation Ubisoft Unity Vicarious Visions VIZIO, Inc. WB Games  
      That's a good list so far.. and more will be joining for sure.  This is EXACTLY what was needed in all honesty.  There's too much variance in the experience for people currently due to the implementations and limitations from game developers and display manufacturers respectively.

There's a Best Practices document that outlines basic guidelines that developers and manufacturers should follow to allow for the best experience possible for each user, while at the same time ensuring that the playing field remains fair for those who's displays might not have the same capability.

An example was that one user's TV may allow them to see a turn in a racing game coming out of a dark tunnel  before other racers, allowing them more time to react and judge the turn better.  So they propose that developers map their games with "primary" and "extended" HDR ranges depending on the context so that people with say 1000nit displays and 600nit displays would see the gameplay essential HDR content in the same luminance, while the other content could range all the way to the 1000nit brightness and still take advantage of the users display.

Another example was a "zombie" game where some players might be able to see zombies in the dark better than others, giving them an unfair advantage.

So basically just keeping the gameplay critical things in mind when developing their games to make sure it's displayed the same across a wide variety of displays.  That seems like a great way to balance it out, while also taking the most advantage of all users displays as much as possible.

https://www.hgig.org/doc/ForBetterHDRGaming.pdf

@Alphonse I don't know if you'd want to make a news post out of this for the front page but it's an idea if you're looking for more content to add.
    • By sanity
      Sony 

2014: Ryse Son of Rome

2015: Epic/nVidia kite demo

2016: Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice

2017: Epic/nVidia "Human Race" demo

2018: tbd
    • By Teh_Diplomat
      https://www.pcgamer.com/forza-horizon-4-leak-shows-potential-event-inspired-by-halos-silent-cartographer-mission/

That Eurogamer link - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-08-13-big-forza-horizon-4-leak-reveals-halo-race

Kinda cool; and as I just found, out this is coming to Windows as well?  I guess this is too good of a game for Lemmings to keep exclusive?