Yakuza: Like a Dragon - Review Thread 9.0@ GS, 7@IGN

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/yakuza-like-a-dragon 

84 Meta

TheGamer (100)

Yakuza: Like A Dragon is a high point for the genre - and perhaps the highest point it will reach on the PS4 or Xbox One. If this is where JRPGs are starting, going into the next generation of consoles, there's reason to believe that we're in for a decade of riches.

Digitally Downloaded (100)

Who knows if this wild experiment will bear fruit and become its own series. Yakuza: Like a Dragon has everything it needs; an excellent crop of new characters, and even a new playground to base a series in, as we hadn't been to Yokohama previously. The future of the series would depend on how turn-based combat sells in comparison to action brawler combat, I would assume. Either way, though, Like a Dragon is a delight. It's a parody-homage to every turn-based JRPG trope you've ever known, set against brilliant character writing and the traditional urban playgrounds that have built this series into something beloved. I hope the development team is rewarded for the inherent risk of this undertaking.

Wccftech (91)

The mean streets of Yokohama offer the opportunity for a new cast, a new suit, and a new hero. Ichiban Kasuga might not be the role model in the same way that Kiryu-chan was, but this dragon's quest might be the most fun Yakuza title to date.

IGN Italia (91)

Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a bet won by Sega. It's hard to propose such a radical change to the game structure, and as games tend to switch turn-based to real-time fighting, it must have been hard to go the other way. Equipped with a strong identity, an unforgettable cast of protagonists and a narrative that strikes straight to the heart, Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a game full of ardor and passion. The new Sega’s game is so rich in content that you can fill up to three games with it and have a more to spare for DLCs. Prepare to lose yourself for over a hundred hours in Yokohama's glossy nights: it’s an experience all JRPG fans - and maybe not just them - should live.

GameMAG (90)

You should look at Yakuza: Like a Dragon through the lens of it's protagonist. This game is unapologetically brash, unmistakable bold, life-affirming and insanely charismatic. The legend of Ichiban Kasuga journey, like a bright flame, tells us one familiar, but sweet and romantic idea - each and every one of us can become a true Hero, even if you have to fight the fate itself, while making your way through hundreds upon hundreds of random encounters.

GamesRadar+ (90)

Yakuza: Like a Dragon impressively pulls off the switch to an RPG in style, providing an excellent combat system supported by loveable characters, and a tantalising main storyline with meaningful side quests.

GameSpot (90)

For RGG Studio's first crack at an RPG, it's a damn fine result. It delivers what I love most about Yakuza and introduces new ideas that largely pay off. Ichiban isn't doing it alone, either. He has friends and mentors, ones who've helped him fight and overcome personal tragedies. It was an absolute thrill to watch him grow, and that's what's most important for a game so focused on its characters. Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a passing of the torch, and a fantastic entry in a beloved franchise that proves that it's in good hands with Kasuga Ichiban.

Press Start Australia (90)

Yakuza Like a Dragon is both a fresh start and a shot in the arm that caters to series veterans and newcomers like. It bears all the hallmarks of a great Yakuza game, while making a damned good case for its revamped battle system. After Yakuza 6 topped the rest of the franchise with a matured and succinct focus it feels even more exciting to see the whole thing blown wide open again and have Ryu ga Gotoku just run wild. Kudos is deserved at Sega of America for their commitment to the game's localization as well, which is incredibly considered and comprehensive. I think I've found a new favourite Yakuza game.

VideoGamer (90)

This is the crux of Yakuza: Like a Dragon. It is fascinated by the way that games lurk at the soft verges of life, vesting our days with dreams.

PowerUp! (90)

Yakuza: Like a Dragon, when all of its pieces are taken together, is not only a fantastic new direction for the series, it’s also one of its best titles.

Hey Poor Player (90)

No doubt about it, SEGA took some considerable risks when they decided to change their established formula so radically for Yakuza: Like A Dragon. But in the end, I think the gamble paid off. Ryū ga Gotoku Studio’s latest offering may not pack the punchy, moment to moment gameplay of its predecessors. Still, it makes up for that with its more in-depth brawls, an engaging job system, and a story that focuses not just on a single protagonist but on several compelling heroes with their own complex motivations.

Screen Rant (90)

Yakuza: Like a Dragon might be a massive change for the series, but it certainly doesn't suffer for it. It's the most exciting and fresh the franchise has felt since Yakuza 0, and players will quickly fall in love with its quirky cast of characters.

Trusted Reviews (90)

Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a triumph, and Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio should be commended for redefining such a seasoned franchise, despite the backlash it might have received. Leaving Kazuma Kiryu behind hasn't been easy, but Ichiban Kasuga and company have crafted a compelling path into the future that I cannot wait to see continue

COGconnected (86)

Yakuza: Like a Dragon is the perfect update for a flagging series. Its clever storytelling, bizarre substories, and engrossing gameplay makes this one of the strongest entries in the franchise. Mixing deep societal messages with references to popular culture, the game is both hilarious and thought-provoking. It is very clear to see that with Ichiban Kasuga, the series is in safe hands.

PlayStation Universe (85)

Yakuza: Like A Dragon is an impressive and quality JRPG that successfully acts as a jumping in-point for new fans and also ties itself to the series' past in exciting and engaging ways. The turn-based combat has been infused with some mechanics that help retain the action and over-the-top hilarity the series is known for. Mini-games once again shine and there is a lot packed into Ijincho. Like A Dragon paves the way for a bright future for the franchise.

Everyeye.it (85)

Just like the best Yakuza games, Like a Dragon shows us what could be in store for this series.

Vandal (84)

Like a Dragon is a great adventure, that even with its flaws, manages to bring new ideas to the series and make it feel fresh and new without losing its essence.

GAMINGbible (90)

Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a game of universal appeal. A modern RPG with retro callbacks, it celebrates its past enough for veterans without excluding newcomers. With world class voice acting, and generation-defining visuals, it's a must-play game that easily earns its place on next-gen consoles. Characters are fascinating, the map is stunning, and the way the story incorporates real-world themes to deliver a first-rate dramatic experience means Yakuza: Like a Dragon deserves a spot on everyone's 2020 top 10 games lists.

Jeuxvideo.com (80)

Frustrating at times, the fault of a too present farming, but constantly disorienting, this new episode makes us go through all the emotions, from laughter to tears, from epic to big no matter what. “Yakuza, it's stronger than you!”

Digital Spy (80)

Yakuza: Like A Dragon was poised to be the biggest of the series yet and it’s clear that Ryu Ga Gotoku have delivered. Pushing the cult series into brave new places, it’s a rich experience that’ll leave you wanting to explore every inch of Yokohama, and with a cast of characters you’re bound to fall in love with, it's bombastic and fun with a capital F. An essential for fans of the series and even newcomers.

Multiplayer.it (80)

Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a beautiful and controversial chapter in the SEGA series. A revolution that we did not consider necessary in terms of gameplay but supported by one of the best plots ever, an amazing cast of characters and an unprecedented and spectacular setting.

Stevivor (80)

Like A Dragon is a revitalised game full of fresh ideas and proves that the series won’t be re-treading the same ground with Ichiban in the driver’s seat. If this is the first step into the new age of Yakuza, I can’t wait to see how bonkers the next game will be.

Eurogamer Italy (80)

Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a great new beginning for the saga. The newbies and the curious can easily start from this chapter, and then recover the previous ones. To veterans and nostalgics, frightened by the new features introduced in Like a Dragon, we can only make a plea: give it a chance and you won't regret it.

IGN Japan (78)

Yakuza: Like a Dragon’s turn-based battle system has a serious lack of depth and pacing issues so crucial that it’s dangerously close to simply falling apart. However, RPG-like elements such as a wide array of equipable items, charisma parameters and interesting job classes do create a customizability that is new to the series. In addition, bizarre side quests and well-crafted mini games make this an experience that is still unmistakably Yakuza. The story of new protagonist Ichiban Kasuga and his friends is simply one of the best in the series, and the communication between those characters is a breath of fresh air. While Yakuza 7 is pretty much a disastrous RPG in terms of its battle system, everything else is nothing short of amazing, which makes it a hard game to score.

IGN (70)

Yakuza: Like a Dragon takes some bold steps in a new direction for the series but neglects to maintain its balance.

Metro GameCentral (70)

The turn-based battles don’t fully convince but the new protagonist and bizarre mini-games still feel distinctively and entertainingly Yakuza.

Eurogamer (no score)

Yakuza: like A Dragon is a good game - sometimes it's okay, sometimes it's great, sometimes it made me groan. It runs the full gamut of emotions, from boredom to disbelief. The will to reinvent itself is there, and that means not everything works - whether you'll enjoy it or not depends on what aspects you care about the most.

Polygon (no score)

What Ryu ga Gotoku Studio has created is an ambitious new entry in a franchise that has managed to endure for over 15 years. Series veterans might be turned off by this new direction, but it manages to retain the same essence as its predecessors. And by the end, Ichiban Kasuga and Yakuza: Like a Dragon both prove to be a worthy successor to the franchise.
  • Ike★ changed the title to Yakuza: Like a Dragon - Review Thread 9.0@ GS, 7@IGN
1 minute ago, JonB said:

Loading time numbers from main menu to get into the game:

Series X: 6 seconds
Xbox One X: 25 seconds
PS4: 29 seconds
PS4 Pro: 48 seconds
Xbox One S: 53 seconds

Such a huge improvement over last gen :D 

Nobody will ever be able to go back to last gen consoles ever again lol

Yeah it seems like load times are never going to be bothersome again.  Most of the time I never was really annoyed by them , a few games here and there . But now its just gonna be like , ok , we in. 

I'm probably kinda gonna miss load screens lol . I remeber playing DQ I never was able to read what came up on the load screen

4 minutes ago, JonB said:

Yeah it seems like load times are never going to be bothersome again.  Most of the time I never was really annoyed by them , a few games here and there . But now its just gonna be like , ok , we in. 

I'm probably kinda gonna miss load screens lol . I remeber playing DQ I never was able to read what came up on the load screen

Yep.  Anything under 10 seconds isn't really a bother at all.

Things are going to get even better though with next gen games as they are designed to stream huge amounts of data all the time.  There wont be loading screens at all for the most part.