In yet another anti-consumer move, Sony locks PS5 save data backups to PS+.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/76229/ps-plus-is-the-only-way-to-back-up-ps5-save-games-no-usb-exports/index.html

First they lock cloud saves behind a paywall, now they lock all methods of backing up save data behind a paywall. What a disgusting company. Of course, this place will act like it's no big deal but let's see what the Sony fanboys at Reddit think.

Cloud saves being a paid feature in 2020 is one of the worst anti-consumer thing Sony does for sure. And now you can't even save it via USB?

Can confirm. 90% finished with Ghost of Tsushima main story and all trophies. Ps4 decides to blue screen and need a wipe. Lost... lost it all... Got super lucky my friend was 1 filler mission ahead and was able to download his profile and finish the game offline. Lesson learned hard way

Instead of adding stuff to PS Plus to make it more worthwhile, they keep taking away previously free features in order to force you to subscribe.

The whole PlayStation ecosystem is just so scummy and garbage.

The one time people don't want Sony to copy Nintendo and they do it - cloud saves should be free for everyone and local backups should be possible as well. If Valve can offer every user of Steam over a GB for cloud saves, screenshots etc free of charge then Sony etc absolutely can too.

Seems like the video game cycle is flowing like normal. As expected, the “winner” of last gen gets way too confident and starts pulling moves like this until they make a big enough mistake to knock some sense back into them for a generation

Lol this is intentional to make people buy subscriptions. Nothing more. (Un)Luckily you can buy a subscription for a month, back it all up then get rid of it.

Playstation is really scummy when it comes to being pro consumer.

Yikes. Imagine the backlash of this was MS. First no expandable storage, then you can’t move ps5 games off the ~600gb SSD, now this...

This seems like a pretty scummy thing to do, honestly. It's what I think they attempted to do with the PS Vita since they actively made you unable to delete Vita games without also deleting save data. The only way to back them up, without backing up the entire game data, was using a PS+ subscription.

I don't know what they still charge for this. It's been free since forever on Steam and most PC game stores, and it's also been free on the Xbox One since at least 2016. At this point I think Sony and Nintendo are the only ones charging for this feature. At least before you could at least back up saves on external drives, but I guess now even that's been removed.

Sony. :pacspit:

52 minutes ago, Bodycount V said:

this is all Microsoft's fault for failing to offer Sony a worthwhile competitor. Soon the home console market will be monopolized by Sony thanks to the Xflop's inept game offerings. Now Sony knows they can do whatever they want.

Direct your anger towards MS.

No, it's the fault of fanboys like you that twist themselves into pretzels coming up with whatever excuses they can to justify supporting such a profoundly anti-consumer company.