Platform exclusivity is really destroying VR

I just found out that there are some Oculus games that are ONLY being developed for their Quest headset and not the rift, so you literally have to have 2 versions of the same headset in order to play all of its games. Then when you take the Vive into consideration, you’ll need a total of 3 headsets on pc ALONE to play every VR game that might interest you. 

what a fucking mess :D VR is never going to become more than a niche way to play games if this keeps up.

• Twinblade★ changed the title to Platform exclusivity is really destroying VR

Well that's Oculus fault, they have made a lot of dumb decisions lately.

Exclusives aren't killing consoles though so it's not the doom and gloom you are projecting. What VR needs are some big recognizable IPs and more user friendly and ergonomic headsets to really pick up anyhow.

There is no way around the fact that Facebook simply took a massive shit right in the middle of PC VR gaming.

Talk about an industry with zero, fucking ZERO momentum. They're dead in the water.

They buy all these fucking studios and buy up exclusives. They're VR headseat technology has absolutely plateaued, and it seems like they have made a conscious decision that they will not push the tech past Mid-tier smartphone processing horsepower.

There's no games, anywhere to be found. Medal of Honor ended up being a big nothing.

Their tv commercials are straight up false advertising, they're literally showing shit that doesn't exist.

There's no roadmap, nobody sees any major tent-pole VR title coming. Star Wars Squadrons came out in October, and I just bought it at the end of November for $16 because I thought it would be cheaper than keeping my Gamefly subscription going. It seems like that game just got dumped out there to die.

The moment PSVR went into hibernation because Sony shifted into putting their resources into the PS5 launch, VR gaming as a whole just completely collapsed. And it seems like it won't come back until Sony single-handedly resurrects it with a proper VR product that excites people again.

The only game I can think of that Oculus still has coming is Lone Echo 2... but that was supposed to release at the beginning of 2020.. and there's been no word of it since.  Who the fuck even knows any more?