This is what super switch will do

3 hours ago, Cooke said:

If it can make old games that run at 900p look great in 4k then it will be worth it. 

games work slightly different.  Older games would have to be updated to take advantage of DLSS. 

hearing some rather crazy rumors about the upcoming Switch hardware.  I still taking a wait and see approach.

However, I do think that there is some logic behind the idea that it is in nVidia's interest to have Nintendo's hardware use RTX ray-tracing and DLSS, because if nVidia makes the dev tools use RTX and DLSS when third-parties are making and porting games to the new Switch, they've essentially created an easy way to port their games to PC, specifically to work best on nVidia GPUs on PC.

nVidia would be using Nintendo's platform to help increase the amount of games utilizing RTX and DLSS in multiplats also arriving on PC, which would help their GPUs gain more control in the PC space.

Definitely seems like something nVidia would do.

I doubt it.  It will be a proper implementation I'm sure.

Jehurey is right in that it's in Nvidia's interest to get games and engines supporting DLSS, and while all of the big ones do already, there's still lots of AA developers who aren't supporting it yet.  Using their technology in the next Switch models essentially guarantees that essentially all developers will support it.

With PC and Nintendo games getting DLSS.. it's going to put pressure on AMD to get Fidelity Super Res or whatever it's called supported in more games.  That would be the best outcome.

I honestly don't see AMD's tech competing quality-wise.  I'll be extremely impressed if they are able to beat DLSS.  They don't really have to beat DLSS though.. they just have to beat checkerboarding and other traditional upscaling techniques... which really shouldn't be hard.

Switch will probably use a combination of DLSS and this AI upscaling feature. If Nvidia is putting it in a 2019 streaming box then they can easily add it to Switch. 

3 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

If Super Switch is going from 4 gigs of RAM to 8 like rumoured that will have a huge effect but it will be held back by base Switch. 

They can do exclusive releases. They did with New 3DS. 

5 hours ago, Cooke said:

Switch will probably use a combination of DLSS and this AI upscaling feature. If Nvidia is putting it in a 2019 streaming box then they can easily add it to Switch. 

those are two different types of technologies. with video, the processor knows the next frame, and it can load it into memory and perform upscaling.

That's not exactly as possibly when you are playing an interactive video game.

And secondly, what they are doing with the A.I. upscaling, and "machine learning" is to also clean up the pixelation of a lower-res frame.

DLSS, as I understand it, is doing something different. If only renders 1/4 of the pixels on screen for that frame, but in very specific spots.

So imagine the 3840 x 2160 pixels (which is over 8 million pixels) and imagine them groups into 2x2 sectors.

First frame would be

X []

[] []

The top left pixel was fully rendered by the GPU. Then in the next frame it shifts which pixel its rendering:

[] X

[] []

And then the next frame:

[] []

[] X

And then the next frame:

[] []

X []

And it begins "averaging" the frames to guess what the color will be for the OTHER three pixels based on the PREVIOUS frames. Its using "old frame" information to create the image.

So, in other words, your GPU is only truly rendering  1920 x 1080 (2 million pixels) at any given time, and its guess the other 75% based on previous pixel information. That's also why you can get higher framerate.

Imagine playing sub 720p games with 20 fps in 2021. yeah,.... I have no doubt the new switch super plus will run those gaymes in 4k/120fps. 😃

16 hours ago, kaz said:

Imagine playing sub 720p games with 20 fps in 2021. yeah,.... I have no doubt the new switch super plus will run those gaymes in 4k/120fps. 😃

You are being dumb

1 hour ago, Cooke said:

DLSS is going to be a bit of a game changer for Nintendo I think.

It'll allow their devices to push far above their weight, as far as image quality is concerned anyway. 

Will be interesting to see which architecture they settle on.