Dragon Quest 35th Anniversary Special Livestream announced for May 27th

Introducing the upcoming line-up in the DRAGON QUEST series. May 27th is Dragon Quest Day, and to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the series, we’re bringing you a special broadcast to showcase all of the latest information about what’s going on—and what’s yet to come—in the world of DRAGON QUEST.

For the first time in DRAGON QUEST history, the show will feature live interpretation from Japanese, so that our international fans can stay up-to-date with developments in the DRAGON QUEST series, too. Don’t miss it, or you’ll miss out!

Presenter: JOY (TV Personality)
Special Guest: Yuji Horii (Game Designer)

Fuck yes!  Will be interpreted in English too for the first time ever! :glad: 

We should get information, and possibly see Dragon Quest 12.. as well as some new side/spinoff games.  Also a decent chance that there could be ports of past games coming to current systems too.. which is what I'm personally hoping for.  I would love to see the 3DS versions of the classic games make it to console/PC.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but since it's going to be interpreted in English it would be nice if DQ12 or whatever upcoming games they have lined up could be released simultaneously worldwide.  Very VERY doubtful.. but hey, maybe the wait wont be quite as long this time?

Anyway, I can't wait :wow2: 

2 hours ago, Ramza said:

I doubt anything major will come out of this. Probably just some spin offs.

But a DQXII (not on Switch) would be godly.

Lmfao.  You really think DQXII won't be on Switch? 

50 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Lmfao.  You really think DQXII won't be on Switch? 

No, that's not what I said but I sure hope it isn't. 

I want impressive graphics. Not DQXI turbo.

56 minutes ago, Ramza said:

No, that's not what I said but I sure hope it isn't. 

I want impressive graphics. Not DQXI turbo.

By the time DQXII is out the Switch 2 should be on the market.

Switch didn't hold back DQXI and it won't hold back XII

Edited by Goukosan
1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

By the way time DQXII is out the Switch 2 should be on the market.

Switch didn't hold back DQXI and it won't hold back XII

That's a lot of speculations.

Switch didn't hold back DQXI because there was no DQXI for Switch when it was being made.

But I guess I should just be glad if it's not a Switch exclusive anyway. That would fucking suck hard.

6 minutes ago, Ramza said:

That's a lot of speculations.

Switch didn't hold back DQXI because there was no DQXI for Switch when it was being made.

But I guess I should just be glad if it's not a Switch exclusive anyway. That would fucking suck hard.

DQXI got announced for Switch before any other platform and yet it still didn't hold it back. 

Just now, Goukosan said:

DQXI got announced for Switch before any other platform and yet it still didn't hold it back. 

What? DQXI S Edition for Switch was announced like a year after the PS4 version.

Are you saying it was already planned from the get go? Regardless, they probably didn't even have a concrete idea of what the Switch hardware would be like at that point in development of the PS4 version.

5 minutes ago, Ramza said:

What? DQXI S Edition for Switch was announced like a year after the PS4 version.

Are you saying it was already planned from the get go? Regardless, they probably didn't even have a concrete idea of what the Switch hardware would be like at that point in development of the PS4 version.

It was announced back in 2015.  It was announced alongside the 3DS and PS4 versions.   It was the first game announced for Switch. (I mixed that up with first version announced) 

but my point still stands.  Switch didn't hold back the game even though it was announced from the start.  3DS didn't hold back the game either.... so you're worried for no reason. 

Only reason the Switch version didn't launch the same time was because the switch version of UE4 got delayed. 

Edited by Goukosan
  • Upvote 1

It'll come to Switch.

The game can look visually awesome on next gen/last gen consoles, and be cut down for Switch... since it's unlikely that DQ12 is going to be doing anything crazy to change the formula.

You never know though.  The only thing you can be certain of right now is that it will definitely hit PS4/PS5.  Switch is extremely likely, and PC after that.  I'm kinda just thinking that now since UE4 is established on Switch, they could possibly release the game on all platforms together.  That, alongside an worldwide release would be AMAZING.

• 2 weeks later...

LET'S GOOOOOOO.

Never thought I'd be more excited for a DQ game than Final Fantasy. :lul: 

This is what happens when you stay true to your series roots. FFXV and FF7R were fucking trash. Give me turn based combat or gtfo.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Ramza said:

LET'S GOOOOOOO.

Never thought I'd be more excited for a DQ game than Final Fantasy. :lul: 

This is what happens when you stay true to your series roots. FFXV and FF7R were fucking trash. Give me turn based combat or gtfo.

Me too. 

Back in the day I was ALWAYS a bigger FF fanboy than a DQ fan.  Despite having played most of the DQ games around when they were launched, I always felt FF was better.  But as time passes... I'm realizing that the DQ games have pretty much always been superior games.

And yes!  Give me back turn based combat.  There's tons of cool mechanics and things that can be done with a turn based combat system.

1 hour ago, Remij said:

Me too. 

Back in the day I was ALWAYS a bigger FF fanboy than a DQ fan.  Despite having played most of the DQ games around when they were launched, I always felt FF was better.  But as time passes... I'm realizing that the DQ games have pretty much always been superior games.

And yes!  Give me back turn based combat.  There's tons of cool mechanics and things that can be done with a turn based combat system.

FF games had better production values, story and characters. Combat systems for FF games were innovative, DQ evolved much slower in comparison. So no I think FF was superior, at least for a good while during the SNES and PS1 era, after that it's arguable.

But things changed didn't they? Square doesn't believe that high budget turn based game are viable anymore in today's market, outright refuses to release a classic FF experience as a main entry, the last one was FFX in 2003? lmao

It's so dumb, you have lower budget games like Octopath Traveller which exceeded all expectations by selling 2m and without even being released on Playstation systems. DQXI was also a massive success and probably the most popular it has ever been in the west. 

Yet Square continues to double down on their real time combat and tarnish their reputation with terrible characters and storylines. The new stuff they introduced in FF7R is straight up embarrassing. Toriyama style is much cooler than Nomura's faggotry.

2 minutes ago, Ramza said:

FF games had better production values, story and characters. Combat systems for FF games were innovative, DQ evolved much slower in comparison. So no I think FF was superior, at least for a good while during the SNES and PS1 era, after that it's arguable.

But things changed didn't they? Square doesn't believe that high budget turn based game are viable anymore in today's market, outright refuses to release a classic FF experience as a main entry, the last one was FFX in 2003? lmao

It's so dumb, you have lower budget games like Octopath Traveller which exceeded all expectations by selling 2m and without even being released on Playstation systems. DQXI was also a massive success and probably the most popular it has ever been in the west. 

Yet Square continues to double down on their real time combat and tarnish their reputation with terrible characters and storylines. The new stuff they introduced in FF7R is straight up embarrassing. Toriyama style is much cooler than Nomura's faggotry.

Well, yeah... Square's handling of FF7R just goes to show that they'll never EVER again be what they once were.  And I agree, Nomura's style has got to go.  I don't want prissy teenage boys with a "fashion" style in clothing anymore in my FF games..  Give us some actual interesting designs and some gruff fucking characters.

Can you imagine how badly they'd butcher a FF6 remake? :mj:

It's why I don't want them to touch any more shit from the past.  They just don't have what it takes to do any of it justice anymore.  At least not until the "old guard" there gets replaced with new, and younger talent.. and even then it's a crapshoot. :francis:

4 hours ago, Remij said:

Well, yeah... Square's handling of FF7R just goes to show that they'll never EVER again be what they once were.  And I agree, Nomura's style has got to go.  I don't want prissy teenage boys with a "fashion" style in clothing anymore in my FF games..  Give us some actual interesting designs and some gruff fucking characters.

Can you imagine how badly they'd butcher a FF6 remake? :mj:

It's why I don't want them to touch any more shit from the past.  They just don't have what it takes to do any of it justice anymore.  At least not until the "old guard" there gets replaced with new, and younger talent.. and even then it's a crapshoot. :francis:

A FF6 remake would kill me. :scared: 

Have you seen the new antagonists in FF7R DLC? :mickey:  Literally a BDSM gimp and a B-rate Sephiroth with the gayest haircut ever. :RISITAS:

final_fantasy_vii_remake_intergrade_-_final_trailer_2-40_screenshot.png.953c9ef2a214c06c46173f40ca81d61a.pngFinal_Fantasy_7_Remake_Intergrade_Intergrade_April_Screenshot_6.thumb.jpg.d7b2799a6850b8708d6b9a74e5ab2df4.jpg