Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster | Review Thread

Metacritic (PC) (??)
Metacritic (PS4) (79)
Metacritic (Switch) (81)
OpenCritic (??)

Rock Paper Shotgun (no score):

A remaster that takes a characterful, if clearly old game, and doesn’t quite give it the love needed to hold its head high in 2021. After Sega’s amazing PC run - launching Yakuza 0 and Persona 4 at £15 earned a big thumbs up - this feels like wanton gouging, and for a game that is more interesting than essential. Maybe the devil made them do it. Either way, it's a shame.

Nintendo Everything (no score):

I recommend Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster as an overall experience, but it’s not going to be for everyone, and while that can be said about many games, I suppose, this title in particular deserves that label more than most. The world, narrative premise, and overall atmosphere are all undeniably well-executed, and the music and voice acting are phenomenal. The combat is simple at face value but offers up a lot of depth and complexity for those who genuinely love turn-based battles. But this game hasn’t aged as well as many may have hoped, and while Atlus’ improvements do help modernize the experience somewhat, ultimately, I feel like much more could have been done to warrant the price tag. The game is also long, immensely challenging, and its repetitive combat can feel like a slog depending on your tastes. Ultimately, this one just barely earns a recommendation, but proceed with caution if you are new to the franchise.

Digitally Downloaded (5/5):

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne was one of the first games I ever reviewed as a game critic, back on the PlayStation 2. I was mesmerised by it then, because I found it to be a deeply challenging, but also deeply rewarding JRPG, and its dark, genuinely adult theme wasn't so common for JRPGs back then. 18-odd years later, my interest in games has shifted slightly, and I'd like to think my capabilities and depth as a critic has matured. However, this game continues to compel me. It is thought-provoking, deeply creative, and a genuinely serious JRPG. Oddly enough, one of the qualities that drew me to the original has drawn me back to the remaster: we still don't get so many of those.

Destructoid (9/10):

Straight up, Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster could have used more technical improvements. The subtle mechanical changes make it a better game without fundamentally changing it — which is a great thing because Nocturne never needed to be changed. I just wish the "remaster" part had a little more oomph to sway people who might find it dated.

If you can get over that aspect and want a JRPG with a ton of personality, this is one of the greatest of all time on that front.

Noisy Pixel (8.5/10):

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster is the definitive way to experience this PS2 classic. The updated visuals, voice acting, and quality-of-life changes make it a must-play for fans both new and returning. There are some heavy and impactful moments of storytelling telling here that have aged incredibly well, with the only downside being not having enough money to fuse demons for a Yaksini or Loki.

Nintendo Wire (8.5/10):

When judged outside the context of being a remake, what makes Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne so beloved absolutely holds up. Its combat system is foundational, and even without the modern flourishes of its descendants all the way up to Persona 5 it’s engaging and addictive. Developing demons is engrossing, with the added elements of improving the Demi-fiend himself and fighting alongside them making you feel more involved throughout the entirety of a playthrough. That, paired with its unique setting and heavy themes make for a journey as compelling as the philosophies that inspire it. For the core Shin Megami Tensei games, Nocturne is still the finest the series has to offer.

Gaming Trend (85/100):

Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne is a fantastic game, but only feels like half of a remaster. Having mouse support, widescreen, and both the Chronicle (which is free) and Maniax (which is paid) in one package is very nice, but there’s not much here to incentivize playing this over the PS2 version, especially at the steep price of $50. It’s a great upgrade, but could have used some balancing, reworked dungeons, a new ending, or even more polygons on character models. Nocturne HD Remaster looks better, but that’s about all this version has going for it. One more god rejected, I suppose.

IGN Japan (8/10, review in japanese):

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster is the welcome return of a PS2 classic. With the addition of voiced dialogue, characters feel better portrayed than in the original. While the high encounter rate and few save points feel inconvenient in 2020, the highly strategic turn-based battles are still as tense as ever.

Nintendo World Report (8/10, video😞

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is a beloved game that stands as a core pillar of its franchise history. The wildly popular Persona franchise likely wouldn’t be what it is today without Nocturne’s influence, and as a fan of both series I’m incredibly excited to see this classic title be rediscovered by a new generation. I can’t help but feel let down by the poor audio compression for the soundtrack, but ultimately that was just as much of a problem in 2003 as it is now. This is the best way to play Nocturne, and I think any fan of classic JRPGs owes it to themself to do exactly that.

RPG Site (8/10):

Despite some glaring flaws around the edges, Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster is still a decently updated release of one of my favorite RPGs of all time. Much of that is attributed to the strength of the original core game experience, though. In the context of 2021, Nocturne HD Remaster almost feels like the student that does the bare minimum in class to get a passing grade. When I look around and see these great re-releases of SaGa Frontier Remastered, NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139…, and the work put in for the first Mass Effect in the very recent Legendary Edition, I wish that this re-release of Nocturne was able to finally rectify some of its long-standing problems - especially the audio compression during combat. I also think about the outstanding work Atlus put in for last year’s Steam release of Persona 4 Golden and how this feels lackluster even compared to that. I still quite enjoyed my time with Nocturne HD Remaster, but it is great because the core game is already phenomenal; aside from adding skill inheritance to demon fusions, most of the updates in this remaster aren’t all that remarkable.

The Mako Reactor (8/10):

While I wanted more to be added or changed when it comes to quality-of-life features and fixes for Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster, this release is definitely worth your time and it is one of the best RPGs available on Nintendo Switch.

Screen Rant (4/5):

SMT III Nocturne HD is one of the hardest games in the Shin Megami Tensei series, which is no small boast, considering how challenging the other entries can be. The remaster could have been improved with some extra QoL features to make the game less frustrating, but the core experience is still great on its own. Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster is difficult but rewarding, and its strategic combat system, legions of demon allies, engaging story, and its unique world make it worth coming back to after all of these years.

GameSkinny (8/10):

If you're looking for an RPG with deep combat systems and grueling dungeon designs, you'll want to look elsewhere. From a story perspective, though, it’s essential playing if you like RPGs at all. It might not be the most fun you’ll have with an RPG this year, but you’ll probably never forget your time with SMT 3 either.

PC Invasion (8/10):

Time won’t change how important and impressive Nocturne is. But this was a great opportunity to either introduce it to a new generation at a fair price or make the game even better than it was. Instead, the price gouging route was taken. Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster is absolutely still worth playing, warts and all, but things should have simply been handled differently. Still, it’s hard to say no to optimizing a team for the sole purpose of debuffing a boss into nonexistence.

Hardcore Gamer (4/5):

Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster is an apocalyptic blast from the past that goes beyond what we could have hoped for in celebration of the cult classic. This isn’t your typical HD remaster, as Atlus has went back and recorded an astonishing amount of voice work, something that wasn’t even in the game to begin with. They also cleaned up some of the visuals, even though it still looks like something that’s nearly twenty years old. That’s on top of redoing the translation and ensuring we have both Dante and Radiou to choose from recruiting. There are aspects that don’t necessarily hold up today in its combat and exploration, especially considering the maps are linear, but if you’re in it for just the story, you’ll be in for a treat with the new Merciful difficulty. Whether you’re a hardcore fan or a curious observer, Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster is a classic worthy of being in any RPG player’s collection.

Attack of the Fanboy (4/5):

Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne is a great RPG, there’s no doubting that. Fans and critics alike love the original release, and fans of the original will absolutely adore the remastered version. In its current state, however, Shin Megami Tensei 3 HD Remaster is a full-priced barebones remaster of a 17-year-old PS2 game that’s starting to show its age. The new quality of life features that were added to the game like voice acting and the suspend save feature are appreciated, but this remaster falls flat when compared to other recent revivals of classic titles. Still, the game itself holds up for the most part. There aren’t many other games like it, and fans of the genre will appreciate its distinct style. Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne remains a solid JRPG even today, but the remaster could have gone a bit further at this price point.

Video Chums (7.5/10):

You'll definitely have fun with Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster if you're a fan of JRPGs and don't mind dark subject matter. The dungeon-crawling and battle system provide a solid level of challenge and the gameplay stays interesting throughout. However, the lack of visual detail and poor music quality will constantly remind you that you're merely playing a remaster of a PS2 game.

Jeuxvideo.com (15/20, review in French):

Unfortunately, this HD Remaster version does not do justice to the original game with a technique that leaves much to be desired. If some additions make the experience more pleasant, such as the presence of a dub, we regret that this release does not take the opportunity to offer a more accessible experience to a new audience. Despite everything, 16 years later, SMT III retains its period charm and will keep Atlus fans waiting before the release of the fifth episode scheduled for this year.

Nintendo Enthusiast (7.5/10):

When you set aside the little performance issues on Nintendo Switch and the lack of some quality-of-life additions, Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster is still an excellent dungeon crawler with tons of demons to experiment with and several different endings for hardcore players to find. The game feels like it’s dragging on sometimes by so heavily emphasizing gameplay over story, but when the gameplay is this solid and with the world renewed in HD, it’s not much of a complaint. This is quite the appetizer from Atlus as the wait for Shin Megami Tensei V continues.

Gfinity ESports (3.5/5):

I came away from Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster with mostly positive feelings. There’s a great game here filled with exciting battles, head pumping music, and interesting themes. However, I really wish that there were simply just even more quality of life changes and modern conveniences implemented in the game. It’s fantastic that a new generation of players has better access to this title now. But in many ways, it still feels like it’s stuck in the past.

Game Rant (3.5/5):

Returning to this pivotal Atlus JRPG well over a decade after its original release, Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne HD Remaster has never been more accessible. Nocturne is unabashedly old-school, in both good ways and not-so-great ways. The gameplay adjustments and options allow for decent customization of the experience, but some of the omissions in this re-release are pretty glaring. It's not perfect, but so long as players can adjust to its rustic edges, there is a fantastic old-school JRPG in Nocturne's remaster full of quality of life changes that make it worth playing in 2021.

Nintendo Life (7/10):

Shin Megami Tensei III HD Remaster is indisputably the best way to play this RPG classic, but it’s also rather clear that this nearly two-decade-old game is showing its age. An interesting story, enjoyable combat system, and engaging demon recruitment and fusion mechanics make Shin Megami Tensei III well worth your time, but the dated visuals, poor quality music, and occasionally unforgiving mechanics are hold it back from being excellent. We’d give this a recommendation to both longtime fans and newcomers, but with the caveat that you might want to wait for a sale before snapping this up.

Comic Book (3.5/5):

Considering how much ground the Shin Megami Tensei franchise has gained in its efforts to court fans in North America since Nocturne first released, the game, in retrospect, feels like a harbinger of things to come that went unheeded. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster pushes the game to new levels in terms of quality and accessibility, allowing fans the chance to fully appreciate its heady, post-apocalyptic, coming-of-age story on their terms. That's an opportunity they should not miss.

iMore (3/5):

I'm not unhappy to have played Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster. The visual and audio quality are high, and it seems particularly well suited to the Nintendo Switch. Fans of old school dungeon crawl RPGs and the SMT series, in particular, will find it to be worth playing as a look back at how the genre and franchise have evolved. The grandiose plot and amusing demons also will keep you invested even when some of the other gameplay is frustrating.

But mostly, I'm now more excited than ever for the release of Shin Megami Tensei V. I'm really hoping that game has the style of the Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster with the mechanical improvements I've come to expect. If you're looking to dive into the series, you might want to wait until later this year for the best experience.

Millenium (60/100, review in French):

Despite all the love we have for the original material, it is unfortunately impossible for us to recommend this remaster of Shin Megami Tensei 3 at full price. If some efforts have been made to make the experience much more accessible, the graphical lifting is almost non-existent. The game still has great qualities, with its unique universe and its very strategic monsters fights, but we can only advise you to wait for the price to go down a notch before trying the experience.

50 fucking dollars for a straight PS2 port. Atlus 03-09 was their peak. Now they're actors at a point in their career where they're old and simply don't give a fuck any more and just do easy work for pay checks, like Deniro, Bruce willis and harrison ford etc

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Saucer said:

It's great at first but then it becomes a endless slog with mind-numbing teleport mazes. When I finished it I swore I'd never play another game like it again. 

That's only the last dungeon. The rest of the game was fantastic enough that the final part didn't really change my opinion on it much. Plus that's pretty par the course for most revered classic games that they end on a rather weak finale.

13 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I still don't know if this game is for me. I liked SMT4 because it was more story focused, while this is apparently more about the combat and dungeon crawling.

There's a story, a pretty good one that's well told, but there isn't much of it and is pretty straight forward. If you're expecting tons of dialogue, cutscenes and exposition dumps theres none of that. It's not any more 'just combat and dungeon crawling' than something like a souls game is (though it has way more story than that) but it's clear the focus is for you to get immersed in its world while leaving a lot of things left more to the imagination.

Edited by Delita