UE5 new features and workflow walkthrough

• Twinblade★ changed the title to UE5 new features and workflow walkthrough

Everyone is freaking out over the PC system requirements but are completely forgetting that those requirements are to run it in the editor and compile it... lmfao.

Compiled, running off a HARD DRIVE

Another poster said it's running at native 4K on a 3080 at 40fps on their PC.

I'm downloading it now :smoke: 

Edited by Remij
  • aitch 1

The sample project is 100GB... after being compiled, it's 28GB.

Still though... to create an entire game with these assets... and you'd need multiple terabytes.

Of course developers will still have to use caution when designing their game assets... they can't just throw whatever there because there's simply not enough space in storage haha.

i cant wait for those tool to become mainstream and people working out their creativity. I flddled around with RPG maker since early 2000 but creating a 3d environment like that is something else. 

I'd still make my game isometric tho.

• Like 1

Some of the megascan assets are pretty unoptimized. I remember looking for small rocks for a scene and the standard LOD had like 6-8K polys for some rocks you would barely even look at.

But the quality is no doubt amazing, you just have to put extra work into finding the right balance between quality and performance by just constantly fiddling with the LOD.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Some of the megascan assets are pretty unoptimized. I remember looking for small rocks for a scene and the standard LOD had like 6-8K polys for some rocks you would barely even look at.

But the quality is no doubt amazing, you just have to put extra work into finding the right balance between quality and performance by just constantly fiddling with the LOD.

Yeah, developers will still have to develop assets being cognizant of how much detail is actually necessary.  There's TOOOOONS of waste in this demo.

It's literally just being excessive for the sake of showing that the engine can handle it.

Just now, -GD-X said:

can you mess with the physics in the demo? if so, how are they?

There's not much in the way of physics in this demo.  There's not really anything to do besides shoot a couple of pillars and watch them crumble, and then fight the boss lol.

It's very limited... but it shows off Nanite/Lumen pretty well.

I made a quick video playing the demo in the editor, but it's just processing the HD version right now.

That said.... this IS the actual engine... so people will be doing all sorts of crazy shit with this now.  People are already importing their projects into this and messing with it... so just wait a few days... it's gonna get crazy lol

1 minute ago, Remij said:

There's not much in the way of physics in this demo.  There's not really anything to do besides shoot a couple of pillars and watch them crumble, and then fight the boss lol.

It's very limited... but it shows off Nanite/Lumen pretty well.

I made a quick video playing the demo in the editor, but it's just processing the HD version right now.

That said.... this IS the actual engine... so people will be doing all sorts of crazy shit with this now.  People are already importing their projects into this and messing with it... so just wait a few days... it's gonna get crazy lol

How do I get this? I want to flex this 6900 XT

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop said:

How do I get this? I want to flex this 6900 XT

You have to download UE5 from the Epic Game client which is about 40GB, then download the sample project which is about 100GB... then you can either run it in the editor, or compile it.. which makes it about 28GB

lol..

I'll be honest with you.  There's not much to this demo at all.  It's honestly probably not worth your time.

Edited by Remij

Here's the video.  It's only 1080p because youtube takes forever to process higher resolutions these days... but you get the idea. 

Keep in mind.. this is running in the editor.. this isn't compiled and packaged.

That new UI is so good. In UE4 I felt like I was constantly resizing the windows and panels to get more real state in the editor window, now you can easily tweak it so theres so much more space without having to compile into a standalone window.

16 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

That new UI is so good. In UE4 I felt like I was constantly resizing the windows and panels to get more real state in the editor window, now you can easily tweak it so theres so much more space without having to compile into a standalone window.

Yes!  The new UI is SOOOOO much better and more modern than UE4 lmfao...