UE5 new features and workflow walkthrough

Since UE5 supports a hybrid software (nanite) and hardware (traditional) rasterizer(s) you can have the best of both worlds.  Nanite currently isn't suitable for dynamic and skin-able models, or objects like foliage.  They're working on it, but in the mean-time you can use the software rasterizer for all the static geometry, and then use the hardware rasterizer for all the dynamic elements.

You can easily add tons of foliage just before... but the combination now is going to lead to some truly breathtaking looking games in the future.

foliagetestmikh7.png

This scene can literally be made in minutes.  It's crazy how far tools and tech has come.

I can't fucking wait to see what The Coalition does with this engine lmfao.. gonna be insane.

Edited by Remij
  • aitch 1

Took another pic.  The image quality is even better in motion.  There's a lot of post processing effects and the camera is always moving so it's hard to capture a pic without motion blur being applied to it... but god damn does it look even better than this in motion.

There's about 14M pixels being rendered.. so getting close to 2x the pixels of native 4K lol..  Image quality is pristine.  Looks legitimately like CG :whew: 

demo7.png

Edited by Remij

i found somebody who had files of just the valley of the ancients demo, but I don't know if it runs at a pre-determined resolution, or at whatever resolution you had your display set on.

the drone imagery where you can fly and get close to the rock formations practically feels like its loaded the highest up-close resolution the entire time. I was a bit confused because some rocks just don't have a texture on it, its just warbled-looking textureless polygons  when up close. They are the same general color as the rest of the rocks, and they have shadows, so from far away they look like the other rocks.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

i found somebody who had files of just the valley of the ancients demo, but I don't know if it runs at a pre-determined resolution, or at whatever resolution you had your display set on.

the drone imagery where you can fly and get close to the rock formations practically feels like its loaded the highest up-close resolution the entire time. I was a bit confused because some rocks just don't have a texture on it, its just warbled-looking textureless polygons  when up close. They are the same general color as the rest of the rocks, and they have shadows, so from far away they look like the other rocks.

There's a bug currently which is causing that.

If you have a compiled version of the demo, depending on the settings the person chose when they compiled it, you might be able to open the command console with the ` key.

If you can, and you want to change your resolution, just type "r.setres 3840x2160f" or any resolution you want, and it will change it.  You can also use "pause" and "fov ___" to change the FOV.  There's also "r.screenpercentage ____" I think that's the command.. and you can run at a lower internal resolution which then makes use of the temporal upscaler.

5 minutes ago, Remij said:

There's a bug currently which is causing that.

If you have a compiled version of the demo, depending on the settings the person chose when they compiled it, you might be able to open the command console with the ` key.

If you can, and you want to change your resolution, just type "r.setres 3840x2160f" or any resolution you want, and it will change it.  You can also use "pause" and "fov ___" to change the FOV.  There's also "r.screenpercentage ____" I think that's the command.. and you can run at a lower internal resolution which then makes use of the temporal upscaler.

i think the warbled polygons is a cool thing to see. To see how it handles the object from far away.Like its showing you its scaling mesh method behind the scenes.

From far away, it does a perfect job of looking like a rock that you are seeing from a certain distance.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

i think the warbled polygons is a cool thing to see. To see how it handles the object from far away.Like its showing you its scaling mesh method behind the scenes.

From far away, it does a perfect job of looking like a rock that you are seeing from a certain distance.

Yea, there's a proxy mesh created underneath that is used for Lumen.  You can see how the mesh materializes essentially in certain cases.

Still early days too.