Why do people still associate a college education with intelligence

Higher education and a yearning for knowledge is a great thing, but yeah, colleges and especially private universities are just rackets to make money. Even the admission process is expensive and you pay application fees, fees to take SATs and AP tests. The most important thing I learned from going to college was critical thinking and proper research with verified sources. I think that’s really the greatest asset someone gets from higher education. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ok jerry you win. is that what you want to hear? Its 11pm on a saturday and the last thing I want to do is continue arguing with you  

No, the question is why do people think that going to college automatically makes them more intelligent than someone with just a HS degree. Money has nothing to do with it. You completely missed the p

The sociology class I took was the greatest GPA booster ever. I literally just babbled about the most nonsensical shit on all of my papers and assignments and managed to get an A by the end of it.

On 2021-05-30 at 4:53 PM, Casual said:

Okay. I’m not suggesting people with masters don’t generally get better jobs than people who don’t have them. Im saying that in many cases the education people 

there’s CSRs at my work making 60k, we require university education for any position. Do those CSRs make more than a lot of people with high school diplomas? Yes. That doesn’t change the fact that answering off the phone and reading a script isn’t something you need to go to university for (outside of the arbitrary job requirements). 

I don't disagree that a lot of office jobs have a bachelor's degree as a requirement for no reason relevant to the actual job, but your post was pretty clearly painting spending 6 years in university in a negative financial light when the ROI has a pretty significant impact on the average person's lifetime earnings.