Jump to content

Sony announces PlaystationVR2 at CES and a new Horizon VR game for it (4K HDR OLED Panels, Up to 120 Hz, Foveated rendering, haptic controllers)


Recommended Posts

Sony announces PlaystationVR2 along with a new Horizon VR game for it from Guerrilla Games.

 

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/04/playstation-vr2-and-playstation-vr2-sense-controller-the-next-generation-of-vr-gaming-on-ps5/

 

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/04/horizon-call-of-the-mountain-revealed-for-playstation-vr2/

 

 

298509628_PSVR2specsCapture.thumb.JPG.53f8d2079b4b877df7c4a631dbeb9617.JPG

controllerCapture.thumb.JPG.0b48505bd6556c3f3be6f563cef2c545.JPG

 

 

 

:mj:     Meanwhile at Xbox, MS officially announces nail polish colors to match Xbox controllers, TLHBFR!!!

OPI_xbox_Hero_Image.thumb.jpeg.f7bd6d12bc131bd238565db0407cfd3b.jpeg

 

 

 

 

FITaIH3XMAAKC6x.thumb.jpg.d2862be2a01a11f38cb698648d7ff16e.jpg

 

 

Edited by FIREPOWER
  • aitch 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sony announces PlaystationVR2 along with a new Horizon VR game for it from Guerrilla Games.   https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/04/playstation-vr2-and-playstation-vr2-sense-controller-the

that hand popping more veins than mine

PSVR2 will be godly  

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, ghostz said:

Is anyone going to be fooled for the second time around w PSVR? The first one was overpriced and awful. Is it wireless at least?

LOL this rent-a-center doofus.

 

for a 2016 device, the PSVR handled itself well enough, and with the exception of HL Alyx, the entire PCVR space still........to this day.........does not have games of production quality as several PS4 VR games. The thing that brought down the visuals were the limitations of the PSVR's screens.

 

This device is going to be pretty fantastic, with those OLEDs w/HDR and the secret sauce is going to be those interior camera that will be tracking your eyes to see where you are looking at, so that they can do foveated rendering for efficient graphics.

 

That's the beauty of one company taking charge and DESIGNING a very important feature, and making its going to be implemented from beginning to end.

 

Every PSVR2 headset will have hardware to pull off foveated rendering.

Sony's development tools for the PSVR2 will be designed to take advantage of foveated rendering.

 

This basically allows developers to just go ahead and develop a game's graphics to be PS5 level (or near-PS5 level), and it will be able to run in VR because foveated rendering allows them to save on graphics rendering on any area of the screen(s) that your eyes are not directly looking at.

 

The only thing that would make this perfect would be if it had a built-in wireless connection to attempt wireless gameplay. But I'm perfectly fine with one decently long USB-C cable that will be connected to the front of the PS5.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

PSVR was not good. There wasn't a single game on that thing that didn't make me sick to my stomach, eventhough I had no problem playing my vive.

lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

PSVR was not good. There wasn't a single game on that thing that didn't make me sick to my stomach, eventhough I had no problem playing my vive.

PS4 was underpowered and the PSVR was designed around it. PS5 is a much more capable console and with these impressive PSVR2 specs I expect it completely blow away the PSVR with the quality of its VR. The massive increase in resolution alone will make it a night and day experience compared to PSVR. Foveated rendering, eye tracking,  4K HDR OLED screens and haptic sensor controllers that don’t require a camera to track will make it an amazing VR headset compared to PSVR.

Edited by FIREPOWER
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • FIREPOWER changed the title to Sony announces PlaystationVR2 at CES and a new Horizon VR game for it (4K HDR OLED Panels, Up to 120 Hz, Foveated rendering, haptic controllers)
9 hours ago, FIREPOWER said:

PS4 was underpowered and the PSVR was designed around it. PS5 is a much more capable console and with these impressive PSVR2 specs I expect it completely blow away the PSVR with the quality of its VR. The massive increase in resolution alone will make it a night and day experience compared to PSVR. Foveated rendering, eye tracking,  4K HDR OLED screens and haptic sensor controllers that don’t require a camera to track will make it an amazing VR headset compared to PSVR.

PS5 will be as outdated as PS4 was when PSVR released in about a year. 

 

Same shit, round two. And of course Cows will pretend to eat it up.. but no games will be made for this after 6 months post release. The first PSVR barely had a 4% purchase ratio to PS4. Lol. Lots of incentives for developers there! 

Edited by ghostz
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FIREPOWER said:

PS4 was underpowered and the PSVR was designed around it. PS5 is a much more capable console and with these impressive PSVR2 specs I expect it completely blow away the PSVR with the quality of its VR. The massive increase in resolution alone will make it a night and day experience compared to PSVR. Foveated rendering, eye tracking,  4K HDR OLED screens and haptic sensor controllers that don’t require a camera to track will make it an amazing VR headset compared to PSVR.


maybe but I was pretty burned by the original, it was pretty much a $400 paper weight. PSVR2 Will be better but it will likely still lag behind the headsets available on PC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ghostz said:

PS5 will be as outdated as PS4 was when PSVR released in about a year. 

 

Same shit, round two. And of course Cows will pretend to eat it up.. but no games will be made for this after 6 months post release. The first PSVR barely had a 4% purchase ratio to PS4. Lol. Lots of incentives for developers there! 

You are full of shit.  First of all, the original PSVR launched 3 years after the PS4 launched. PS4 was already an underpowered console using a low end CPU from 2011. The OG PSVR wasn’t using any bleeding edge technology and it was Sony getting their feet wet for the first time with the tech. Hence the use of shitty move controllers and 1080p panels for the display.

 

The PSVR2 is the complete opposite. It’s using the latest tech as good or even better than what you’ll find in most VR headsets today even on PC. It’s using Foveated rendering and eye tracking which is bleeding edge tech that will allow devs to save rendering resources in VR by only rendering what the player can see.  The saved rendering resources can then be used to push resolution for the PSVR’s 4K HDR panels. On top of that Sony using haptic feedback controllers that uses the same award winning tech in the dual sense controllers.
 

The PS5 is a much more capable machine than the PS4 was when it launched with a much better CPU and GPU than the PS4 for it’s time.  There is nothing coming out anytime soon on PC that will make the PSVR2 look antiquated and dated like the  PSVR back in 2016. It’s most likely launching this year if the rumors of them starting manufacturing already are to be believed.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

You are full of shit.  First of all, the original PSVR launched 3 years after the PS4 launched. PS4 was already an underpowered console using a low end CPU from 2011. The OG PSVR wasn’t using any bleeding edge technology and it was Sony getting their feet wet for the first time with the tech. Hence the use of shitty move controllers and 1080p panels for the display.

 

The PSVR2 is the complete opposite. It’s using the latest tech as good or even better than what you’ll find in most VR headsets today even on PC. It’s using Foveated rendering and eye tracking which is bleeding edge tech that will allow devs to save rendering resources in VR by only rendering what the player can see.  The saved rendering resources can then be used to push resolution for the PSVR’s 4K HDR panels. On top of that Sony using haptic feedback controllers that uses the same award winning tech in the dual sense controllers.
 

The PS5 is a much more capable machine than the PS4 was when it launched with a much better CPU and GPU than the PS4 for it’s time.  There is nothing coming out anytime soon on PC that will make the PSVR2 look antiquated and dated like the  PSVR back in 2016. It’s most likely launching this year if the rumors of them starting manufacturing already are to be believed.

:D 

 

I cannot wait to bump this. 
 

thank you for this gold. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ghostz said:

:D 

 

I cannot wait to bump this. 
 

thank you for this gold. 

You’re saying this like your clown ass is ever right about predictions. Quote me at the end of the year when I’m laughing at you for being dead wrong  :hest:

Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL i love how ghost knows absolutely nothing about VR, he doesn't even know anything about PSVR properly.

 

I sure do hope that the controllers are mandatory and packed in with the headset, so that developers will know that 100% of all PSVR2 users will have proper VR controllers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jehurey said:

LOL i love how ghost knows absolutely nothing about VR, he doesn't even know anything about PSVR properly.

 

I sure do hope that the controllers are mandatory and packed in with the headset, so that developers will know that 100% of all PSVR2 users will have proper VR controllers.

Dude is a clueless idiot. Claims PSVR2 will be severely outdated compared to PC headsets when it launches this year yet it’s the only one using OLEDs with 4K HDR instead of LCD displays and it’s the only one supporting Foveated rendering along with eye tracking. The moron doesn’t know shit about VR tech but he’s arguing like he’s some sort of scholar on the matter.

 

 

927CD81B-CD3E-497C-9133-B8D03BA86E4E.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is that wireless video, that is supposed to be delivering compressed 4K images at 90Hz.......and the games look like near-PS5 quality graphics, that may be exceeding the limits of wireless bandwidth.

 

I can only go based on my limited experiences thus far.

 

I have setup Oculus Airlink to my PC. I connected my PC with a wired ethernet cable to my Wifi router that does 5 Ghz.

 

Probably not the best, most strongest wifi router around, but I'm literally standing 4 ft away from it.

 

If I load up Half Life Alyx, Ultra Settings for everything. In Steam's VR graphics settings, I even render the resolution higher than the VR hardware's resolution, and if I set it at 120Hz, what happens is that the game isn't loading the 360-degree image fast enough over a wireless connection.

 

So, if I'm looking off to the right during HL Alyx, and then I swing my head around to look left, this SteamVR desktop screen area is there:

idlehome.PNG.876f08501c6b22b555b3497a841

 

For about a second or two before it finally fades the video game into the screen. Its not framerate related, because the framerate in the game always remains high. I turn down the resolution in SteamVR, and it still has this problem.

 

It just that the wireless connection cannot supply 120Hz video quickly enough to the headset. And this is Half Life Alyx we're talking about. The average PS5 game is going to look more detailed than HL Alyx.

 

So even as some people on neogaf are trying to scream bloody murder because it has one USB cable, and pretend that it has to be wireless or else its useless, there's a very good reason why they're going with a USB-C cable. Not to mention the benefits of not having the battery, and therefore the weight is going to be so much more lighter.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is going to get awesome software support.

 

Astro Bot 2 as a launch title would be amazing. Horizon? Ok sure, I expect a gimmicky game though. I'm just glad Sony is going to back this thing up, I expect some good first party exclusive games like they did with the first PSVR. Wipeout OC is still one of my favorite VR game. Gran Turismo 7 could also easily retroactively add a VR mode to the game as free update. I expect to see VR modes for a lot of the existing flat screen games this time around, since the hardware will make it easier to achieve.

 

All the ports of high fidelity PCVR games that the PSVR couldn't handle like Half-Life: Alyx are all all going to get ported over as well. PS5 will give a nice boost to VR games in general, I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jehurey said:

The thing is that wireless video, that is supposed to be delivering compressed 4K images at 90Hz.......and the games look like near-PS5 quality graphics, that may be exceeding the limits of wireless bandwidth.

 

I can only go based on my limited experiences thus far.

 

I have setup Oculus Airlink to my PC. I connected my PC with a wired ethernet cable to my Wifi router that does 5 Ghz.

 

Probably not the best, most strongest wifi router around, but I'm literally standing 4 ft away from it.

 

If I load up Half Life Alyx, Ultra Settings for everything. In Steam's VR graphics settings, I even render the resolution higher than the VR hardware's resolution, and if I set it at 120Hz, what happens is that the game isn't loading the 360-degree image fast enough over a wireless connection.

 

So, if I'm looking off to the right during HL Alyx, and then I swing my head around to look left, this SteamVR desktop screen area is there:

idlehome.PNG.876f08501c6b22b555b3497a841

 

For about a second or two before it finally fades the video game into the screen. Its not framerate related, because the framerate in the game always remains high. I turn down the resolution in SteamVR, and it still has this problem.

 

It just that the wireless connection cannot supply 120Hz video quickly enough to the headset. And this is Half Life Alyx we're talking about. The average PS5 game is going to look more detailed than HL Alyx.

 

So even as some people on neogaf are trying to scream bloody murder because it has one USB cable, and pretend that it has to be wireless or else its useless, there's a very good reason why they're going with a USB-C cable. Not to mention the benefits of not having the battery, and therefore the weight is going to be so much more lighter.

Yup people on Neogaf are clueless morons. These same people will be the same people complaining if it uses wireless and starts lagging due to bandwidth limits and they’ll also complain when the battery weighs a ton and dies out in an hour of use. We just don’t have the tech for high end wireless VR to be viable yet, hopefully in the next 5 years or so wireless speeds and battery life will catch up. I’m more than fine with a single USB cable. Definitely is an improvement from the multiple cable mess that came with the original PSVR.

Link to post
Share on other sites

True console VR launch. PSVR was more of an experiment and a beta test 

 

Goertek (Chinese manufacturer) have been tasked with producing 1-2 million VR headsets for launch from a major Japanese console manufacturer. Really only two options here, and it's very unlikely it's Nintendo.

Goertek have also been tasked with producing additional PS5 consoles to help with the production capacity. Yes, there are not enough PS5 units being produced to meet demand right now. This part might be in order to have enough units to sell PS5/PSVR2 bundles.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...