Was letting Bungie go and creating 343i one of the worst MS decisions?

No.  Halo would have declined anyway.  Bungie was done with Halo... You think keeping them and forcing them to continue to make a game that they didn't want to make anymore was going to result in anything else?

MS was absolutely stupid as fuck to not allow them their creative freedom to work on new IP though.  They could have created another team like 343i to take over Halo and let Bungie create something new.

That's definitely a fuck up on MS' part... and they know it.

• Like 1

Probably. I still remember all the hype Halo would generate when a new one released. 3 and Reach in particular had so many people engaged in playing them and also discussing them on the forums.

Infinite on the other hand comes out and nobody cares.

Don't think MS had a choice with regards to Halo. Bungie wanted to do something new and if Microsoft had refused I'm sure we would have seen a bunch of people quit and start a new studio.

They should have just let them exist as their own thing putting out the kind of shooters they wanted, though. Bungie's partnership sounds great for everybody involved and for consumers.

Sony is offering Bungie employees a $1.2 billion incentive program in an effort to keep them at the company following the buyout.

In its recent Q3'21 earnings report, Sony confirmed it plans to spend a sizable portion of its Bungie buyout offer on retention. Sony says it is prepared to pay 1/3rd of its $3.6 billion buyout proposal, or roughly $1.2 billion, on a long-term incentive plan that will reward Bungie employees who stay with the company.

Sony will pay the remainder $2.4 billion for a direct buyout of Bungie's private shares. The bonus is aimed at keeping Bungie's current staff intact after the acquisition.

Deferred payments are planned across multiple years following the buyout closure. The company is prepared to pay about $792 million in deferred incentive payments in the first two years after the deal ends.
Just now, Twinblade said:

Probably. I still remember all the hype Halo would generate when a new one released. 3 and Reach in particular had so many people engaged in playing them and also discussing them on the forums. Infinite comes out and nobody cares.

Dude, millions upon millions of people have played Halo Infinite.  It has great scores.  The MP is actually fucking awesome and solid... It's the meta game shit that has people "disliking it" as well as some bugs and shit I guess.

Regardless... you act like times haven't changed since then...  There's NO MP games these days that generate hype like Halo did back in the day... because the way we learn about MP games, and how we're exposed to them, has significantly changed.  It's impossible to by completely hyped by... more shit that's been done before already... especially when you know how it all works before the games even launch.

13 minutes ago, Remij said:

Dude, millions upon millions of people have played Halo Infinite.  It has great scores.  The MP is actually fucking awesome and solid... It's the meta game shit that has people "disliking it" as well as some bugs and shit I guess.

Regardless... you act like times haven't changed since then...  There's NO MP games these days that generate hype like Halo did back in the day... because the way we learn about MP games, and how we're exposed to them, has significantly changed.  It's impossible to by completely hyped by... more shit that's been done before already... especially when you know how it all works before the games even launch.

The multiplayer is as lackluster as it gets. There's practically no content, its missing standard playlists, has a terrible progression system, etc, etc. Its no surprise the player base on PC is getting smaller and smaller every day.

Microsoft keeps on holding onto the Halo brand for way too long in many areas.

They're stupid arrogance in thinking that Hollywood was going to grovel at their feet for the IP, and 10 years later its on the shittiest, lowest-subscriber base streaming app, and it looks like something that the Sy-fy channel produced a decade ago.

They took forever fixing the Master Chief Collection, and it still have problems. So they already hurt the legacy of the brand.

And now they've turned the multiplayer into a lameduck free-to-play, and their single player is nothing exciting, so much so that the shill journalists were left talking about "chief's story" being pleasantly good, because there's nothing special to write about the gameplay.

Halo was always going to go into decline after 2010. but Microsoft committed specific errors to accelerate that decline.

1 hour ago, Hot Sauce said:

Don't think MS had a choice with regards to Halo. Bungie wanted to do something new and if Microsoft had refused I'm sure we would have seen a bunch of people quit and start a new studio.

That's my recollection too.

Halo has never been great. I’ve been playing it because my boys have been obsessed, the more I play the worse it is. 

That being said, The others really, really sucked. They were generic, boring, and at times offensively bad. 343 really sucks, but I at least give Bungie credit for creating the IP. What this game lacks is maps and modes… and that’s really it.  They dump 10 classic maps and this game is suddenly back in full volume, I bet. That may sound crazy, but I’d imagine they have 50+ maps easily to drop… without creating anything new. 

That being said, Destiny definitely sucks. It’s the typical nerd maze and relies on bullet sponge enemies. Color that with volumetric effects and welp, you have destiny. 

Bungie will continue to churn out new IPs, they may or may not be exclusive to Sony… but 1) for them to be successful, they need pc (and likely Xbox) will need to be included 2) I wouldn’t play their games unless they were free anyway. 3) Nintendo still wins :reg:

Edited by ghostz
43 minutes ago, ghostz said:

Halo has never been great. I’ve been playing it because my boys have been obsessed, the more I play the worse it is. 

That being said, The others really, really sucked. They were generic, boring, and at times offensively bad. 343 really sucks, but I at least give Bungie credit for creating the IP. What this game lacks is maps and modes… and that’s really it.  They dump 10 classic maps and this game is suddenly back in full volume, I bet. That may sound crazy, but I’d imagine they have 50+ maps easily to drop… without creating anything new. 

That being said, Destiny definitely sucks. It’s the typical nerd maze and relies on bullet sponge enemies. Color that with volumetric effects and welp, you have destiny. 

Bungie will continue to churn out new IPs, they may or may not be exclusive to Sony… but 1) for them to be successful, they need pc (and likely Xbox) will need to be included 2) I wouldn’t play their games unless they were free anyway. 3) Nintendo still wins :reg:

Xbox with its tiny userbase and the fact lemmings dont buy games anymore makes it unnecessary for anything