Digital Foundry Dying Light 2 PC analysis

image.thumb.png.743ae6e993cf6643afc7991979a80570.png

image.thumb.png.2c8678da7bc9a80ebb884d58a70c412f.png

image.thumb.png.9181ba9de2d357c0fd42d3122f3b66bc.png

image.thumb.png.14fdd2bdfc50ee3ee9d3abf82b58051b.png

image.thumb.png.857f8021cf5fdc4074c0e0721373be28.png

image.thumb.png.7f266b3032db82c680a77b5c9e4c8002.png

We're definitely reaching diminishing returns when it comes to detail and number of pixels that can be pushed, so Ray Tracing seems like the next big leap in tech. I hope to see it be further optimized and eventually become standard in most games.

20 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

damn, some parts are very night/day with ray tracing. 

I didn't know this but apparently the Ray Tracing is far inferior on consoles. They only support RT Ambient Occlusion and Shadows (middle scene), but the PC version has those along with RT Reflections and DIffuse Global illumination (right scene). The Global illumination makes the biggest visual difference and is what transforms the scenes

image.thumb.png.d56eb2159c743c9491d3c81b0163b5ea.png

Just now, Twinblade said:

I didn't know this but apparently the Ray Tracing is far inferior on consoles. They only support RT Ambient Occlusion and Shadows (middle scene), but the PC version has those along with RT Reflections and DIffuse Global illumination (right scene). The Global illumination makes the biggest visual difference and is what transforms the scenes

image.thumb.png.d56eb2159c743c9491d3c81b0163b5ea.png

yeah, i watched that section. that may be one of the best breakdowns of RT i've seen. DF is the best gaming site.

• Like 1

i'm not going to pay full-price for this game, but it appears interesting and i will pick it up later.

a friend of mine wants to play co-op, and another friend of mine just told me that he got a hold of an rtx 3080, so I may have a co-op party to play through games like this.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

FSR is so bad compared to DLSS. >20 FPS difference in some scenes, yikes.....

edit: Same with RT. Goddamn AMD is so far behind.

Does that not depend per game and oj th devs implementation? I'd still take FSR anyday.

1 minute ago, TLHBO said:

Does that not depend per game and oj th devs implementation? I'd still take FSR anyday.

What games is FSR better than DLSS in? As far as im aware its inferior in nearly all of them, but the gap between both in Dying Light 2 is one of the biggest i've seen.

Just now, Twinblade said:

What games is FSR better than DLSS in? As far as im aware its inferior in nearly all of them, but the gap between both in Dying Light 2 is one of the biggest i've seen.

I dont know, I dont really check. I jist imagine that like anything, during development one gets priority.

FSR is open source though so you can use it with basically any game not just officially supported games. To me that's worth the tradeoff.

53 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

I dont know, I dont really check. I jist imagine that like anything, during development one gets priority.

FSR is open source though so you can use it with basically any game not just officially supported games. To me that's worth the tradeoff.

Because it's a lame spatial upscaler...

The games with the best implementation of FSR... produce ok results.  The worst ones are just god awful.

Since DLSS2.0, DLSS has been very consistent visually between titles.. you basically know you're going to get a native, or even better than native looking appearance.

Still though... FSR does have its uses.  The fact that the Steam Deck will fully support it is good news.  We'll see if Valve and AMD can even improve it further, specifically for small screen devices like the Deck.

Im legit shocked at how good the performance is in this game so far. Using DLSS Quality, RT AO, and RT GI at 1440p im getting 60-80 FPS consistently on my 3070Ti, and this is in the intro area which is apparently more demanding than the rest of the game. I almost want to go all the way and turn on RT Reflections + RT Shadows as well.

edit: I just turned on RT Reflections and Shadows and im still getting 40-50 FPS minimum :D This is by far the most optimized RT game yet, while still looking stunning when everything is enabled. Techland should be commended for what they've done here.

17 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Im legit shocked at how good the performance is in this game so far. Using DLSS Quality, RT AO, and RT GI at 1440p im getting 60-80 FPS consistently on my 3070Ti, and this is in the intro area which is apparently more demanding than the rest of the game. I almost want to go all the way and turn on RT Reflections + RT Shadows as well.

edit: I just turned on RT Reflections and Shadows and im still getting 40-50 FPS minimum :D This is by far the most optimized RT game yet, while still looking stunning when everything is enabled. Techland should be commended for what they've done here.

Glad you've come around on the PS5 vs. PC debate. 😉