Satya Nadella was supposed to have fired Phil Spencer by now....

I would like to know more about what happens behind the scenes when deals like this are made. Like did Phil just go up to Nadella one day and be like 'Activision has agreed to sell their company to us. You just need to give them $70 billion.' and then he just has enough good faith in Phil to go along with it? Just kind of nuts if you think about it.

12 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I would like to know more about what happens behind the scenes when deals like this are made. Like did Phil just go up to Nadella one day and be like 'Activision has agreed to sell their company to us. You just need to give them $70 billion.' and then he just has enough good faith in Phil to go along with it? Just kind of nuts if you think about it.

I think there is an indepth analysis of each franchise's potential, IP worth, long term profit etc first.

7 hours ago, Twinblade said:

It's more like..

"Daddy Nutella they won't buy my console and the meanies make fun and say it has no games :cries: Pweeeeasse buy me a publisher so I can hold their games tio ransom."

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, Ike said:

I keep reading this thread as Nutella instead of Nadella. :ben: 

Yeah, that's why I call him Salty Nutella:drake:

And the plain fact of the matter is that the publisher acquisitions are to help save GamePass, because it initially didn't get off the ground.

Or else, why didn't Microsoft simply start acquiring these studios around the time they announced GamePass in 2018?  Why did they wait almost two years after they were trying to sell the service?

My mistake, over three years. GamePass technically launched back in July 2017. Wow, its taken them 4.5 years to get to 25 million subscribers?

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

And the plain fact of the matter is that the publisher acquisitions are to help save GamePass, because it initially didn't get off the ground.

Or else, why didn't Microsoft simply start acquiring these studios around the time they announced GamePass in 2018?  Why did they wait almost two years after they were trying to sell the service?

My mistake, over three years. GamePass technically launched back in July 2017. Wow, its taken them 4.5 years to get to 25 million subscribers?

Obviously these acquisitions are to bolster GamePass as a service.  They need to have a steady stream of new content to keep people subscribed.  That's why they started acquiring studios after that fact.  Not to mention acquisitions take time... and Phil had to convince Satya and the others that this could work.. and while that was happening, unbeknownst to the public, the Metaverse idea was making waves internally at tech companies, who all wanted to get a leg up and be the ones who control that potentially massive market.  As you can see by companies like Google, Apple, Amazon and others, who are poaching developer talent left and right, there's a frenzy right now to have massive teams of developers pushing out content for the metaverse.  I have no doubts that they were looking at this from the perspective that in the future, their massive team of first party developers will be pumping out games for GamePass, and content for the Metaverse.. which provided the MS board of directors enough comfort to know that there was value in their acquisitions regardless.  

This is why they were eager to ask "ok, what's next after Activision/Blizzard?"  They're hungry for more.. because they know what's coming.

You've also constantly made the comparison of Gamepass to other subscription services like Disney+ and Netfix... despite knowing that they aren't really comparable.  The gaming market behaves differently than the Movie/TV Show markets.

-Gamers have an attachment to specific hardware itself which runs their games.

-Movie/Show watchers don't give a shit whether their blu-ray player is from one brand or the other.

-Gamers have a stronger attachment to the physical media itself as it's only playable on the device it's meant for.  It's harder to convert those people to accept a digital copy in the first place... and even harder than that to accept a digital copy that they won't ever own a license to.

-Movie/Show watchers may have an attachment, but it's not as strong.  Blu-rays and DVD's played on any device which supported them.  Making these people convert to digital/streaming is far easier since they don't have a strong attachment to any specific brand or box.

-Games are experienced differently by every single person who plays them, they require user input to play through, and they are experienced in a variety of ways.  More attachment from the end user.

-Movies/Shows are passively watched.  Less attachment.

Then there the simple fact that Disney+ was launched during the peak of Marvel's Cinematic Universe.. and benefitted greatly from riding that wave into creating a healthy subscription base quickly.  Disney had a huge catalog of stuff they could instantly bring into their service and drive subscriptions.  Not to mention that they also own many media networks and could easily market Disney+ everywhere you looked.  Disney+ also launched on multiple devices... you could watch it anywhere...

Xbox launched GamePass when they were arguably at their lowest point.  It was Xbox console only.. which means a very limited userbase compared to something like Disney+.. They had almost no first party output at that time... so they propped up the service with a lot of 3rd party and indie stuff that was already quite old.  So it's not like they got started off on the same foot.. or even close to it.  Now, MS is bolstering their first party day 1 GamePass output, and subs will continue to climb.  When games like Starfield, Hellblade 2, the next Doom, CoD, Elder Scrolls, Diablo, WoW/Warcraft games come... there's going to be big jumps in the subscriber base.  When they all have these games dropping month after month.. they're going to retain and build them.

Plus tons of other things I'm not even going to bother typing because you're not going to admit any of these points are true....

But yea, you need to stop acting like convincing a gamer to not buy games they can resell, or own digitally, and instead subscribe and pay for games that they won't own, is as easy as getting a movie/tv show viewer to subscribe to a streaming service...

Edited by Remij
1 hour ago, jehurey said:

In that same amount of time span, Nintendo has only sold 100m Switches too. :omglol:

• dead 1
44 minutes ago, Remij said:

You've also constantly made the comparison of Gamepass to other subscription services like Disney+ and Netfix... despite knowing that they aren't really comparable. 

yes they are comparable.

And in anything, being able to play video games on the cheap should be an advantage for Microsoft.

GamePass has definitely been flailing.

Sweetie.........GamePass has only sold 10 million subscriptions since July 2020.

The PS5 went on sale in September 2020.

Why has Sony convinced 17 million people to spend $500 in the past 14 months

But Phil Spencer has only convinced 10 million people to spend $5-$15 in the past 18 months?

The service is definitely flailing.

BgHqV88.png?1

No streaming service stalls like this over a two year period. Except maybe failing services like Peacock or Crackle.

So my guess is Salty Nutella is trying to save Phil's ass, and employing the classic Microsoft "corner the market so that they have no choice but to sign up with us" strategy of the 90's

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, jehurey said:

yes they are comparable.

And in anything, being able to play video games on the cheap should be an advantage for Microsoft.

Sweetie.........GamePass has only sold 10 million subscriptions since July 2020.

But Phil Spencer has only convinced 10 million people to spend $5-$15 in the past 18 months?

BgHqV88.png?1

No streaming service stalls like this over a two year period. Except maybe failing services like Peacock or Crackle.

So my guess is Salty Nutella is trying to save Phil's ass, and employing the classic Microsoft "corner the market so that they have no choice but to sign up with us" strategy of the 90's

^ :drake:

14 minutes ago, Remij said:

^ :drake:

I brought actual statistics.

You posted a bullet list of...........your THEORIES and STORIES about how people view video games.

Dude, I visit the slickdeals several times a week, in the forums. And there's people there posting deals for how to find Forza Horizon 5 or Halo Infinite for cheap, by buying an international product key.

...............for Steam.

And in those discussions, maybe one person will bring up "why not get GamePass?" nobody responds to that person, or people respond with "I want to own my game"

If there's one huge, huge, HUUUUGE failure that easily observable...........its that GamePass sells for $5 on PC, and they have less than 10 million subscriptions, even though anybody with a Gaming PC built from 2014-2015 onwards should be able to play most of the games.

Gamers have a stronger attachment to the physical media itself as it's only playable on the device it's meant for.  It's harder to convert those people to accept a digital copy in the first place... and even harder than that to accept a digital copy that they won't ever own a license to.

LOL this lemming is literally contradicting a common lemming talking point. If that were the case, Xbox hardware owners would still have physical sales of major multiplat games that are not on GamePass.

RE8 clearly debunks this, since the PS5 version is selling considerably more than the Xseries version.

Edited by jehurey
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, jehurey said:

I brought actual statistics.

You posted a bullet list of...........your THEORIES and STORIES about how people view video games.

Dude, I visit the slickdeals several times a week, in the forums. And there's people there posting deals for how to find Forza Horizon 5 or Halo Infinite for cheap, by buying an international product key.

...............for Steam.

And in those discussions, maybe one person will bring up "why not get GamePass?" nobody responds to that person, or people respond with "I want to own my game"

If there's one huge, huge, HUUUUGE failure that easily observable...........its that GamePass sells for $5 on PC, and they have less than 10 million subscriptions, even though anybody with a Gaming PC built from 2014-2015 onwards should be able to play most of the games.

LOL this lemming is literally contradicting a common lemming talking point. If that were the case, Xbox hardware owners would still have physical sales of major multiplat games that are not on GamePass.

RE8 clearly debunks this, since the PS5 version is selling considerably more than the Xseries version.

:tom:  I listed OBVIOUS reasons as to why gamers are less likely to adopt new ways of accessing games.

LOL Your ENTIRE POST, just reinforces what I said.  Thanks for proving my point.... gamers aren't NEARLY as quick to change and adopt new ways of accessing their content... because a large chunk of them prefers to simply own games.  The others, ESPEICALLY PC GAMERS have built digital libraries for years.. and want to continue to do so and see no reason to change that.  They like OWNING games to be able to come back to them whenever they want.  Media like Movies and TV/Shows don't hold the same connection to viewers.  They are passive experiences.

Xbox gamers have more of an affinity to digital purchases, we all know that.  It doesn't mean that they're all interested in subscribing to a service where they don't own the license to the games, necessarily.  You brought up RE8, and you're likely referring to UK splits between SKUs to try to reenforce your point... which is hilarious considering we know the split of hardware vastly favors Playstation there.  You take the lower amount of Xbox hardware, as well as the affinity to digital sales on Xbox devices... and you get a much lower "retail" split...

Jerry... those are some WEAK ASS attempts you just made to try to make a point, for real.. LOL and after you tried to mock me for "theories and stories" you come with anecdotal evidence from Slickdeals forums.. which just reinforces people want to own games.. even cheap people :drake:

And let me ask YOU a question... why aren't YOU subscribed to Xbox GamePass on PC? :trump:

(I know why... you hate Xbox, and Phil Spencer.... when Sony announces their sub service.. you will jump on that shit instantly LOL)

5 hours ago, jehurey said:

yes they are comparable.

BgHqV88.png?1

That's definitely their strategy, and I'll continue to ignore Microsoft products and services on all my personal devices.

I don't care about any of their games anyway but I'd go without before caving in. Microsoft is truly evil and really they need to be wiped out even more than Facebook.

46 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

That's definitely their strategy, and I'll continue to ignore Microsoft products and services on all my personal devices.

I don't care about any of their games anyway but I'd go without before caving in. Microsoft is truly evil and really they need to be wiped out even more than Facebook.

I hope MS and other companies that are too large for Sony to hang with DO buy out the industry and force Sony to go completely 3rd party :juggle:

They deserve it for what they did to Sega.. what goes around comes around :cmpunk1:

4 hours ago, Remij said:

:tom:  I listed OBVIOUS reasons as to why gamers are less likely to adopt new ways of accessing games.

LOL Your ENTIRE POST, just reinforces what I said.

no, my post doesn't reinforce your made-up points.

did you honestly think that was going to work? LOL

I got you making up reasons why gamers supposedly afraid of GamePass..........think about that for a second.

18 minutes ago, jehurey said:

no, my post doesn't reinforce your made-up points.

did you honestly think that was going to work? LOL

I got you making up reasons why gamers supposedly afraid of GamePass..........think about that for a second.

Nope.  You asked why GamePass wasn't growing as fast as other streaming services like Disney+....

...and I gave you your answer...  And then you went on to say "People at slickdeals.com forums want to own their games"

...reinforcing my point... dipshit..  Gamer's take more time to adapt to change and have a greater attachment to the devices they play on and the way they game...

You proved my point big time.. thanks :tom:

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

Nope.  You asked why GamePass wasn't growing as fast as other streaming services like Disney+....

...and I gave you your answer...

no you didn't give answers.

you gave stupid theories based on nothing except you pulling them out of your ass.

Humble Bundle has existed for years.

That alone debunks most of your "answers"

Games literally cost more money than shows and movies........there is no reason for GamePass to fail across 50 million Xbox Ones, tens of millions of PC owners, and Xbox Series Owners.

PS+ has 48 million subscribers. Not cumulatively. RIGHT NOW active through 2021-2022.

The service is flailing. Simple as that.

Edited by jehurey
14 minutes ago, jehurey said:

no you didn't give answers.

you gave stupid theories based on nothing except you pulling them out of your ass.

Humble Bundle has existed for years.

That alone debunks most of your "answers"

Games literally cost more money than shows and movies........there is no reason for GamePass to fail across 50 million Xbox Ones, tens of millions of PC owners, and Xbox Series Owners.

PS+ has 48 million subscribers. Not cumulatively. RIGHT NOW active through 2021-2022.

The service is flailing. Simple as that.

There is a reason.. and I told you.  Gamers have more attachment to games and the devices they specifically play on....  

If I buy Disney+.. I can watch it on essentially every device...  If GamePass was on every gaming device... then subs would increase massively.

I already explained why PC gamers are less likely to adopt subscription services for games in general...  I've already explained how GamePass got off to a very slow start because at first there were no Day 1 games, and it was mostly indie and 3rd party games that were old.

Again, it comes down to gamers being less accepting of change in general.  Many gamers don't really want forces messing with the way the get and consume their games.

GamePass is not failing... and Phil Spencer has already debunked that bullshit many times.  And LOL at comparing it to PS+... which is THE ONLY WAY to play PS games online...  Meanwhile on Xbox you have people who don't want GamePass, subscribed to Xbox Live Gold..  If MS made it so the only way to play online on Xbox was to subscribe to GamePass... the subscription numbers would shoot way up :drake:

What a dumbass you are :tom:

Edited by Remij
15 minutes ago, Remij said:

There is a reason.. and I told you.  Gamers have more attachment to game

:drake:this is the very moment you begin pulling things from your ass.

sweetie, its not remotely close to working.