8fd9c404e81dd1f0929b574b7689c9ae0fdaf5d4

Today, I am especially pleased to reveal the stunning new design of our next generation VR headset, PlayStation VR2, together with an updated and final design image of our PlayStation VR2 Sense controller.

You'll notice the PS VR 2 headset has a similar shape as the PS VR2 Sense controller, taking on a matching "orb" look. The circular orb shape represents the 360-degree view that players feel when they enter the virtual reality world, so this shape captures it nicely.

The design of the PS VR2 headset was also inspired by the look of the PS5 family of products. When our design team created the PS5 console, they also had the next generation VR headset in mind so you'll notice some similarities in the look and feel. The PS5 console has flat edges as it is meant to be displayed on a flat surface, while there was more emphasis on adding roundness to the design of PS VR2 headset since it is meant to have constant human contact, similar to the rounded edges of the DualSense controller and Pulse 3D headset.

For the PS VR2 headset, we took comfort a few steps further by adding new features such as a lens adjustment dial, so users have an additional option to match the lens distance between their eyes to optimize their view. We also created a slimmer design with a slight weight reduction – even with the new added features such as the new built-in motor for the headset feedback. It was quite a challenge to create a slimmer design with new features added to improve upon our first headset, but our design and engineering teams proved this could be possible when we saw the final design!

Additionally, we've integrated a new vent design for the PS VR2 headset that we think users will enjoy. Yujin Morisawa, Senior Art Director at SIE led the headset design of PS VR2 and explains why this is his absolute favorite part of the design:

"When I started to work on the design for the PlayStation VR2 headset, one of the areas I wanted to focus on first was the idea of creating a vent in the headset to let air out, similar to the vents on the PS5 console that allows airflow. Our engineers came up with this idea as a good way to allow ventilation and avoid having the lens fog up while players are immersed in their VR games. I worked on many design concepts to achieve this, and in the final design, you can see there is a little space in between the top and front surface of the scope that contains the integrated ventilation. I am really proud of how this turned out and the positive feedback I have gotten so far. I hope our PlayStation fans will also agree, and I can't wait for them to try it out."

– Yujin Morisawa, Senior Art Director, SIE

very classy design, and based from an article I had read, they concluded that it is actually lighter than the first PSVR1 headset, which was probably far and away the lightest headset to begin with.

they're still keeping the halo ring design, so that's perfect since that's the best way to place the weight of the headset on the top part of your head, rather than squeezing your face into the headset.

also I saw another photo from another angle, and I notice how the in the nose area, there's silicon padding that's very closed, and it seems like you have to put your nose through that to split the silicon padding apart. That's actually fixing something that I think is a flaw with the Oculus Quest 2, which leaves the nose area very wide and open, and that means that its not a perfectly closed seal, and light enters.

here's that photo showing what I'm talking about:

FMM-NqdWQAYqJMy?format=jpg&name=large

holy shit that silicon padding is absolutely going to ensure that it seals off everything and cuts off all light. that's what you want. And there appears to be some sort of additional dials on the left and right side of that headband. Hmm, might be for minor tightening adjustments

• focus on ergonomics & comfort
  • adjustable headband
  • adjustable scope and headphone jack at the same spot as PSVR1
  • new lens adjustment dial - less weight, slimmer
  • new built-in motor
  • new vent helps lens to avoid fog

that's awesome having a haptics motor and even a fan/ventilation system. that helps justify the lone single USB cable and the fact that it prevents having a battery to make the headset weigh less.

• aitch 1
3 hours ago, -GD-X said:

yeah, i thought this garbage was going to be wireless.

It should have been.  Oculus proved that it not only works... but works extremely well.  At the very least they could have provided the option.

Looks really nice though.  It's a refined Oculus Quest/PSVR hybrid.  Pretty much what I expected.  Definitely looks like it will be way more comfortable than other headsets out there, that's for sure.

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

It should have been.  Oculus proved that it not only works... but works extremely well.  At the very least they could have provided the option.

Looks really nice though.  It's a refined Oculus Quest/PSVR hybrid.  Pretty much what I expected.  Definitely looks like it will be way more comfortable than other headsets out there, that's for sure.

It’s obvious the Quest is underpowered and Sony saw that. They want to raise the bar a bit in visual fidelity.

It’s not all bad. Now all it is is just plugging in a single cord to the front USB-C slot and no breakout box. It’s a significant upgrade compared to PSVR.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

It’s obvious the Quest is underpowered and Sony saw that. They want to raise the bar a bit in visual fidelity.

It’s not all bad. Now all it is is just plugging in a single cord to the front USB-C slot and no breakout box. It’s a significant upgrade compared to PSVR.

Well yea, you can only do so much, considering the price point you want to hit.

I mean, it would be cool to have a self contained unit like the Quest 2, and then have games which could work both wirelessly and wired, and of course the big AAA VR games which require the PS5 to be connected to it.

I know for Sony it makes sense to do it how they are though.. but they could have the best of both worlds IMO.

And yea, a single cable isn't bad.. especially considering what an ordeal it was previously haha.

Having a cable is detrimental for sure. Playing intense sports games with one is fucking annoying. I knocked the cable out of my PC with a uppercut while playing Thrill of the Fight once. I don't care if it's a passive experience that I play while sitting down though.

Anyway, this looks fine. I'm more interested in seeing the games. I think it will get insane support from day one. The first party games combined with second party exclusivity deals and the graphically demanding PCVR ports will make this a must have. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Having a cable is detrimental for sure. Playing intense sports games with one is fucking annoying. I knocked the cable out of my PC with a uppercut while playing Thrill of the Fight once. I don't care if it's a passive experience that I play while sitting down though.

Anyway, this looks fine. I'm more interested in seeing the games. I think it will get insane support from day one. The first party games combined with second party exclusivity deals and the graphically demanding PCVR ports will make this a must have. 

Almost makes you wonder if they should have a breakaway end to the cable like Xbox did for their 360 controllers lol

When you're immersed it definitely can happen before you even realize it.

I’m definitely getting one on day one probably.

The lack of wireless is a bit of a bummer but it’s expected. For the fidelity Sony is going for with the PSVR2, wireless really isn’t an option. Latency and battery issues would damage the experience Sony is going for if they made it wireless. That and the cost would probably be too high.

It’s not so bad anyway, just one cable this time instead of a stupid breakout box like with PSVR1. I’m sure this thing will get plenty of support from Sony’s first party, their 3rd party partners as well as PCVR ports. Looking forward to all the amazing VR games that will come out of this thing.

I hope it gets native PC support out of the box too because I’d love to use it on my PC as well.

Edited by FIREPOWER
2 hours ago, Remij said:

LOL

it weights much less

it has OLED

it has eye-tracked foveated rendering

it has haptics motors inside of it

it even has a de-fog ventilation system, which in addition to preventing fog from building up, its actually making it pleasantly cooler for the user.

"its refined":lemming:

Dude, it is exactly what is needed for the next-generation of VR headsets. The only thing that you could call a mere "refinement" would be the relatively tame increase in resolution, but chances are that the OLED screen and whatever manufacturing technology they used to achieve 800+ PPI to push those pixels closer together is probably going to perform more visual wonders than increasing the resolution.

12 minutes ago, jehurey said:

LOL

it weights much less

it has OLED

it has eye-tracked foveated rendering

it has haptics motors inside of it

it even has a de-fog ventilation system, which in addition to preventing fog from building up, its actually making it pleasantly cooler for the user.

"its refined":lemming:

Dude, it is exactly what is needed for the next-generation of VR headsets. The only thing that you could call a mere "refinement" would be the relatively tame increase in resolution, but chances are that the OLED screen and whatever manufacturing technology they used to achieve 800+ PPI to push those pixels closer together is probably going to perform more visual wonders than increasing the resolution.

Yes. LOL  Did you think you were listing something revolutionary? :drake:

Moron.. lmfao.  The entire thing LOOKS like a regular PSVR headset.... but refined.  The controllers... are refined Oculus Quest/Touch controllers.  Weight reduction?  Refinement.  OLED screen... a refinement over the original PSVR..

LMFAO this clown ass bitch going on about fog and ventilation systems :cruise:

Every single aspect of it's design is a refinement.

LOL bubu the ventilation system!!:rofl:

Don't EVER fucking talk to me about VR bitch :lawl: 

Edited by Remij
35 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yes. LOL  Did you think you were listing something revolutionary? :drake:

Moron.. lmfao.  The entire thing LOOKS like a regular PSVR headset.... but refined.

LOL he's now backtracking to the outer plastic:lawl:

Moron.............eye-tracking foveated rendering is revolutionary, especially if Sony's development tools allow the developers to not have to manually implement this feature and it is automatically done by the PSVR2 communicating to the PS5 hardware about where they need to render at the highest possible resolution and where they don't, and the developer doesn't have to do anything at all except just develop for the base PS5 hardware.

That is what will greatly progress next-gen VR.

Real games..............made by REAL DEVELOPERS, not this rinky-dink C-grade developers that makes a Walking Dead game, but REAL DEVELOPERS will be having the main single-player modes being VR-ready.

You don't know shit about VR, you barely have an adequate video card to play them at 90Hz.

Edited by jehurey
  • Thanks 1

LOL he's now backtracking to the outer plastic:lawl:

Moron.............eye-tracking foveated rendering is revolutionary, especially if Sony's development tools allow the developers to not have to manually implement this feature and it is automatically done by the PSVR2 communicating to the PS5 hardware about where they need to render at the highest possible resolution and where they don't, and the developer doesn't have to do anything at all except just develop for the base PS5 hardware.

That is what will greatly progress next-gen VR.

Real games..............made by REAL DEVELOPERS, not this rinky-dink C-grade developers that makes a Walking Dead game, but REAL DEVELOPERS will be having the main single-player modes being VR-ready.

You don't know shit about VR, you barely have an adequate video card to play them at 90Hz.

^ ROFL he edited that last line in because he's REALLY fucking butthurt about me bitch slapping him:rofl:

The guy bought a Quest 2 (after saying for forever that there was no way he was going) just so he could APPEAR to have some credibility when talking about VR :rofls: 

I was laughing at that shit way back when you were talking with Ramza about VR... LOL.  You literally bought a Quest 2... just so you could be "credible" when talking about how superior the PSVR2 is... when you eventually get one.

You don't even realize how EASILY it is to spot... you're actually fucking clueless about it and you think you have people fooled. :hehe:

I mean hell... the same thing is true about your PS5 in the first place.   You bought that shit just so you could TALK about owning it... and not playing it.  Your profile has already proven that beyond a doubt :lawl: 

Edited by Remij
4 minutes ago, Remij said:

^ ROFL he edited that last line in because he's REALLY fucking butthurt about me bitch slapping him:rofl:

The guy bought a Quest 2 (after saying for forever that there was no way he was going) just so he could APPEAR to have some credibility when talking about VR :rofls: 

I was laughing at that shit way back when you were talking with Ramza about VR... LOL.  You literally bought a Quest 2... just so you could be "credible" when talking about how superior the PSVR2 is... when you eventually get one.

You don't even realize how EASILY it is to spot... you're actually fucking clueless about it and you think you have people fooled. :hehe:

I mean hell... the same thing is true about your PS5 in the first place.   You bought that shit just so you could TALK about owning it... and not playing it.  Your profile has already proven that beyond a doubt :lawl: 

holy shit, he ran away from the conversation entirely.....................because

1.) what I said is absolutely correct

but more importantly,

2.) That line about the graphics card absolutely WRECKED HIM, look at him melt down.

He doesn't even run the VR games I can run, at higher render resolution than screen resolution, at higher framerates.

If he did, he would know that true wireless airlink at 120Hz, at full render resolution or greater, of high-end next-gen games would be a disaster.

He doesn't know, because he's now able to achieve those settings with the hardware that he has.

holy shit, he ran away from the conversation entirely.....................because

1.) what I said is absolutely correct

but more importantly,

2.) That line about the graphics card absolutely WRECKED HIM, look at him melt down.

He doesn't even run the VR games I can run, at higher render resolution than screen resolution, at higher framerates.

If he did, he would know that true wireless airlink at 120Hz, at full render resolution or greater, of high-end next-gen games would be a disaster.

He doesn't know, because he's now able to achieve those settings with the hardware that he has.

:rofl: 

This dude actually thought the right plan of attack was to post that he himself can't play at 120hz at full resolution on his PC :rofls: 

I don't even run the VR games you can run???

Let's see...

vrgames.png

Did you forget that we can see you have NO VR games on Steam.... and I know FOR SURE AS FUCK... that you don't have Oculus Rift Games... that means you're playing Quest 2 games. :kaz: 

You said you downloaded Skyrim VR... but never played it yet.  Oh wow, some massive graphically challenging games you got there Jehurey.  Tetris Effect?  WOW:rofl: 

You're pirating all your VR games... even the Quest ones... which just FURTHER proves what I said... that you ONLY bought the hardware not to support it and actually use it... but in an attempt to lend CREDIBILITY to whatever you want to say about it in the future sucking compared PSVR2 :tom:

It doesn't work with me clown bitch.  I see right through your act like as if I had a built in fog ventilator running on your account 24/7 :cruise: 

Edited by Remij