Digital Foundry Steam Deck review

Just now, TLHBO said:

One is a handheld PC and it's obvious how PC-like it os now that its on peoples hands.

One is a locked down console.

Should we be directly comparing Switch to a PC?

Again, I spoke about the deck only having 68% sRGB and poor visibility outside with no mention of Switch. 

You guys started the comparison to Switch and I responded to that. 

The deck can be discussed without a Switch comparison. You don't have to run to Switch each time, you can actually discuss the deck on its own merit. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it's extremely impressive tech. i would have been all over this about 5 years ago. i now barely play the switch undocked.

So its basically just a portable PS4 hardware wise. Its a shame Sony didn't continue the Vita, a successor to that would have destroyed the Deck, as it would actually have its own library of games and

It's so obvious Elden Ring, Snorza 5, God of War, Cuphead, Death stranding, only some of the most hyped games on sw from the past few years on day 1 "Barely run" he says, as if the Ditch was ever go

Just now, TLHBO said:

Really? Because you sheep have been pretty feral im every Deck thread since last Summer. Jerry is probably setting up for an 8 hour shift on the forums tonight :drake:

Is this your only response to discussions about the deck? 

5 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

One is a handheld PC

and mostly fails as a piece of hardware operating and handling basic PC functions.

and has real problems with software.

Its a complete Beta testing product, in Beta testing phase.

Yet Valve advertised it as a consumer-end product

They put up a public website to sell it as a consumer-end product.

And charged money and issues promises like a consumer-end product.

And its an unfinished product.

7 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

Should we be directly comparing Switch to a PC?

You tried to do that.

Not sheep.

That's why I said that you are NOW REVEALING your true intentions behind trying to champion this thing.

Now you're making excuses and trying to cover up what you were doing.

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

Again, I spoke about the deck only having 68% sRGB and poor visibility outside with no mention of Switch. 

You guys started the comparison to Switch and I responded to that. 

The deck can be discussed without a Switch comparison. You don't have to run to Switch each time, you can actually discuss the deck on its own merit. 

I couldn't care less about outside, this isnt resetera where all the autists sit on a bus playing their handhelds.

Its hard for me to comment on the colours until I see it in person, just looking at your chart doesn't really mean much without an actual real life comparison. Yes a better screen is alaays nice but I can't imagine it's a deal breaker.

this guy is sounding like he's getting ready to spend all night making excuses for the Steam Deck.

He's even telling us that he doesn't even know what it means to see less colors.:tom:

Imagine the types of excuses he'll be making an hour from now. LOL

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

and mostly fails as a piece of hardware operating and handling basic PC functions.

and has real problems with software.

Its a complete Beta testing product, in Beta testing phase.

Yet Valve advertised it as a consumer-end product

They put up a public website to sell it as a consumer-end product.

And charged money and issues promises like a consumer-end product.

And its an unfinished product.

You tried to do that.

Not sheep.

That's why I said that you are NOW REVEALING your true intentions behind trying to champion this thing.

Now you're making excuses and trying to cover up what you were doing.

And what is switch? With some of its awful, awful ports, full priced games that are only streaming services, its abysmal online service.

I'll take the beta with potential thanks. It already has better games than Switch on day one.

1 minute ago, TLHBO said:

And what is switch? With some of its awful, awful ports, full priced games that are only streaming services, its abysmal online service.

thanks for revealing the true nature of your butthurt.

you've just made a big admission about why you are here.

you tried to be a Steam Deck fanboy because the Switch has you THAT butthurt.:tom:

:blessed:Confirmed:blessed:

4 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

I couldn't care less about outside, this isnt resetera where all the autists sit on a bus playing their handhelds.

Its hard for me to comment on the colours until I see it in person, just looking at your chart doesn't really mean much without an actual real life comparison. Yes a better screen is alaays nice but I can't imagine it's a deal breaker.

Not saying it's a deal breaker per se but For the premium device and enthusiast market the deck is going after the screen should have been better.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

this guy is sounding like he's getting ready to spend all night making excuses for the Steam Deck.

He's even telling us that he doesn't even know what it means to see less colors.:tom:

Imagine the types of excuses he'll be making an hour from now. LOL

Ghostz quality bait misintepeting whaf I said about the colouds, and isnt the "all night" thing exactly what I said about you? You do that a lot.

Carry on though jerry, I want you to givd this your infamous "HOT" tag. I know you've been waiting for today for a long time :hest: The jerry-go-round is going full speed tonight.

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

Not saying it's a deal breaker per se but For the premium device and enthusiast market the deck is going after the screen should have been better.

That I would agree on but I'm only basing that on the 68℅ to 90% chart you showed. Having that that remember this thing is aggressively priced compared to similar products.

1 minute ago, TLHBO said:

Ghostz quality bait misintepeting whaf I said about the colouds, and isnt the "all night" thing exactly what I said about you? You do that a lot.

Carry on though jerry, I want you to givd this your infamous "HOT" tag. I know you've been waiting for today for a long time :hest: The jerry-go-round is going full speed tonight.

yeah, he's already angry that the Steam Deck failed to move the needle.

And now he's trying to laugh it off, and project.

That's going to be work as good as Valve's software on the Steam Deck at launch. LOL

Just now, TLHBO said:

That I would agree on but I'm only basing that on the 68℅ to 90% chart you showed. Having that that remember this thing is aggressively priced compared to similar products.

So how come the more expensive $600-$700 Steam Deck models also have a crappy screen?

7 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

I'll take the beta with potential thanks. It already has better games than Switch on day one.

When Switch launched enthusiast killed it for not having an OLED, killed it for having an LCD (even though it was a great IPS LCD screen at the time) and claimed the screen should have been 1080p instead of 720p.

5 years later, turns out those same deal breakers aren't deal breakers anymore and 720p is perfect for a portable... Funny how that works. 

Turns out 720p was the right choice given its form factor. 

Edited by Goukosan

Before I leave I will say this. People are deluded if they think Windows is a magic bullet for this device.

Case in point - Batman Arkham Asylum doesn't start for Linus.

I played Batman AA though Proton last year. I had the same error, it was the only game I had to really tinker with luckily but tinker I did.

So maybe it's Proton right? Or maybe the Deck hardware?

No, check the steam forums for that game. Many people can't get it to launch on Windows 10. You need to tinker with the game on a modern OS to get it to launch.

In fact just look at the amount of problems players are experiencing - https://steamcommunity.com/app/35140/discussions/0/?fp=1#. A lot revolve around Pyshx and DirectX messages.

My point is PC gaming has always required tinkering to some degree especially for older titles. As someone who liked to go back and play games from the PS3 era I can't tell you how many times I saw those grey warning boxes on Windows 10 or had to tinker with files or at the very least edit a .config file to get the game running properly.

SteamDeck is a PC warts and all. Some games are never going to magically "just work", that's just part and parcel of PC gaming. It's a small price to pay for the sheer number of games available and the freedom to customize so much.

It's definitely for the enthusiasts and those that are familiar with PC gaming.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

When Switch launched enthusiast killed it for not having an OLED, killed it for having an LCD (even though it was a great IPS LCD screen at the time) and claimed the screen should have been 1080p instead of 720p.

5 years later, turns out those same deal breakers aren't deal breakers anymore and 720p is perfect for a portable... Funny how that works. 

Turns out 720p was the right choice given its form factor. 

Right well link me to where I ripped on the original Switch for not having an OLED? don't paint us all with the sams brush.

The thing is, I think that the PC gamer having a "its okay if it doesn't work now, they'll update it in the future or someone will tinker and find some fix for it" mentality................is absolutely toxic and is a serious problem that is stopping the PC hardware industry from growing.

You're letting them off the hook, instead of pushing them to have higher standards.

Gabe Newell is a fucking billionaire, MAKING MORE billions ever since he launched Steam.

Why is he not employing an entire army of programmers and engineers to build the infrastructure in order to have a full platform?

Valve Inc. employs 360 employees, and thats what it feels like with the entire steam platform.  It feels like a small few dozen programmers have slowly been building this for the past 15 years.

And Gabe is now telling them "you have to build an OS to work with a hardware device that has many external functions and has to be compatible with many external pieces of hardware that were developed for Windows".

Steam Greenlight games.

Then they basically opened it up to any developer selling "Early Access" games.

Valve has trained their users into accepting "unfinished" and "maybe it'll get some workaround by the developer or by some eager amateur programmer discovering a fix" as a way to do business.

The PC is choking itself by keeping this mentality. That is not what is happening with Apple and Android, and look how many people are spending their money on those products.