CDPR confirms new Witcher game - will use UE5

i did find it interesting that they said they would be working with Epic in what appears to be modifying the UE5 engine for large open worlds.

So, maybe they have a deal in which CDPR gets to license the engine for cheaper than usual, and in return whatever mods they make to it when designing the new Witcher, those now become Epic's.

If they don't have worry about physics, or environmental geometry, and other stuff like that, then they can focus more on the npc characters, and their routines, and gameplay mechanics.

12 minutes ago, jehurey said:

i did find it interesting that they said they would be working with Epic in what appears to be modifying the UE5 engine for large open worlds.

So, maybe they have a deal in which CDPR gets to license the engine for cheaper than usual, and in return whatever mods they make to it when designing the new Witcher, those now become Epic's.

If they don't have worry about physics, or environmental geometry, and other stuff like that, then they can focus more on the npc characters, and their routines, and gameplay mechanics.

UE4 has developed a lot over the years and its got a ton of tools for streamlining the creation of open world games, so im not sure that would be necessary. 

It's a good thing, and a bad thing, IMO.

It's good that they'll be able to streamline a lot of their workflows... and many of their developers are already very well familiar with Unreal Engine... but it's bad that another one of the industry's bigger developer studios is dropping their own proprietary engine technology... which is extremely good in its own right.  The industry needs some variation and engines which target different things.

Anyway, a Witcher game in Unreal Engine 5 will be pretty amazing.. and CDPR are very competent on the tech side.. so it'll be pretty damn stunning. 

20 minutes ago, Remij said:

It's a good thing, and a bad thing, IMO.

It's good that they'll be able to streamline a lot of their workflows... and many of their developers are already very well familiar with Unreal Engine... but it's bad that another one of the industry's bigger developer studios is dropping their own proprietary engine technology... which is extremely good in its own right.  The industry needs some variation and engines which target different things.

Anyway, a Witcher game in Unreal Engine 5 will be pretty amazing.. and CDPR are very competent on the tech side.. so it'll be pretty damn stunning. 

Yeah I think big studios that can afford to make big budget games should be trying to invest in their own tech. I would like to see more japanese studios without that capability switch to UE4 though. Everytime I play a Atlus game or some other quirky japanese game Im immediately reminded of how outdated their tech is. There's no reason they shouldn't be using already developed and evolved engines.