Halo Infinite Devs Acknowledge Botched Season 2 Rollout, Are ‘Reviewing Options’

https://kotaku.com/halo-infinite-season-two-challenge-swaps-xp-boosts-skil-1848892108

Halo Infinite’s second season, which was supposed to be a much-needed phoenix down, is off to a rocky start. Three days after its rollout, the developer has acknowledged its pitfalls, promising to “review options.” Also: Every player is getting free stuff.

Developer 343 Industries launched the game’s second season earlier this week. The update, which is so biblical it needs a table of contents, added a slew of cool stuff to the game. Last Spartan Standing, a sort of battle royale-lite, and King of the Hill are two bright spots. The return of Attrition—a new game type that appeared briefly in the winter—is welcome, as are several new variants to Slayer, Halo’s standard deathmatch. Two new maps are added to the rotation (they totally rule), and much praise is deserved for the new background music and cosmetic options.

But the update also missed the mark in a bunch of ways. Let's break down the most significant misfires:

• For one thing, challenges related to Last Spartan Standing weren't tracking properly. Even though the game says you can leave matches preemptively without risking progress toward active challenges, some players reported their accounts failing to reflect any progression.
  • Many traversal techniques, popular among high-level players, were removed from the game. Though this was telegraphed in the patch notes, the severity of the cuts was unexpected.
  • The update also removed several Halo Infinite speedrunning exploits, including the option to pilot a pelican dropship or to equip an unlimited-ammo tank gun.
  • On top of it all, following the patch, some guns now jam up without warning. (The studio has clarified that this was unintentional and that a fix for it is in the works.)

:hest:

• dead 1

They botched it so hard :shake: 

I did just recently reinstall it and at least the cutscene judder that affected all versions has been fixed.

I have no interest in the MP anymore regardless of what they do..  Though I suppose I could have a change of heart somewhere down the line... but it's more of a 'too little too late" situation for me.  Other shit to play.

Halo sucks lol. But those are some nitpicking items. Who the fuck does speed runs … of halo.. outside of maybe 3 people. 

but the guns… “jamming” lmfao wtf. That is the most random defensive jargon I’ve ever seen. The guns don’t jam, they’re fucking digital :D the game is broken if the guns don’t shoot :kaz:

Edited by ghostz
1 minute ago, Remij said:

They really should probably yank it away from 343i honestly.  There are other teams MS has that could do a better job for sure.

I would personally like to see The Coalition take a stab at a Halo game. I think they would do the series justice.

• Like 2

Legit question, is there a worse (large) studio than 343? They literally fumble every step and every chance they get and they have enormous backing. Their history is littered with these type of acknowledgements of errors and looking to improve and yet continue to just stuff things up, 

• Geese 1
24 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Legit question, is there a worse (large) studio than 343? They literally fumble every step and every chance they get and they have enormous backing. Their history is littered with these type of acknowledgements of errors and looking to improve and yet continue to just stuff things up, 

I honestly thought that launching into a new generation, a supposed new engine, longer development time, and a story focusing on The Master Chief, was going to turn the series back around after the low point that was Halo 5 (I still like Halo 4 though)... but they completely fumbled it all.  It's kind of insane to me.  It appeared everything was falling into place.. and then that damn gameplay trailer released and then the reality started setting in that it was not up to par.

It just can't be anything other than terrible mismanagement at this point.  Apparently engine features weren't even close to being in place... development tools for the engine weren't making their jobs any easier.. and it makes you wonder what the fuck they were doing with all the extra time they had.

To be fair, I like the campaign.. and I like the MP.  But it's obvious that a ton of shit was cut, just so they could release the damn thing, and the campaign lacks variety in gameplay (set pieces) as well as visuals (biomes) and so I don't blame people who aren't fans of it.  I think the MP is great (or at least it was, I haven't played it and it appears they've changed some shit for the worse) but how the fuck are you going to launch a game like that and have it missing half the shit that was standard to begin with?

It just boggles the mind, really.

This should have been a brand new Halo on an incredible next gen engine, launching the new Xbox consoles into the next generation... ALSO launching on PC for the first time day and date, with a hyped audience there....  It should have been a massive event..

Just as a side point, I'm sure they will launch a Halo Battle Royale.. it seems inevitable to me at this point as they try to save the franchise by any means necessary.

Its funny to see the same people that were bragging about this as a must have for xbox all now admitting that it sucks :hest: It seems the "haters" were right all along.

10 hours ago, madmaltese said:

It's the most *Microsoft* of all the Microsoft studios.

13 hours ago, TLHBO said:

Its funny to see the same people that were bragging about this as a must have for xbox all now admitting that it sucks :hest: It seems the "haters" were right all along.

And who is doing that?

LOL thinking that me criticizing how they've handled the release of the game is me admitting it sucks :drake: 

But then again you're the type of idiot that conveniently misses all that criticism when it suits you so you can continue to blame everyone for being corporate shills cause you're a fucking weirdo lunatic :sabu: 

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

And who is doing that?

you were.

you were telling us about how we weren't noticing how mindblowing the graphics were from that cutscene of that terrible Diego Luna-impersonating character, and how it was next-gen.

What-Halo-Defends-Cut-Credits-Scene-Coul

"are you guys paying attention to the hairs along the side of his face, and his expressions? Its just...wow.":idid:

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

you were.

No I didn't.

And I'm certainly not saying the game sucks in this thread... which is what he's accusing me of... so wrong again jerky. :tom: