Jeff G leaving Giantbomb

how long has it been since they sold the website, and the other three guys left?

i think i remember saying something to where Gerstmann probably had to stay at Giantbomb as a condition for selling the website.

And sure enough his departure is exactly 12 months after the other guys' departure.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

how long has it been since they sold the website, and the other three guys left?

i think i remember saying something to where Gerstmann probably had to stay at Giantbomb as a condition for selling the website.

And sure enough his departure is exactly 12 months after the other guys' departure.

Yea, it would make sense that Jeff was probably staying there against his will and lost all interest.... because of how garbage the content was.  You loved that shit too :tom:

JeffhureyHBR :rofl: 

4 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Today is actually his last day, even the other guys stuck around for a few days but this announcement being this late is a real surprise. Some shit definitely must have happened.

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yea, it would make sense that Jeff was probably staying there against his will and lost all interest.... because of how garbage the content was.  You loved that shit too :tom:

JeffhureyHBR :rofl: 

LOL he's actually still butthurt about me.

How desperate are you for a win, if you think trashing giant bomb is the best you can do to "get" at me?:tom:

Please, keep trying and see if it works.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

LOL he's actually still butthurt about me.

How desperate are you for a win, if you think trashing giant bomb is the best you can do to "get" at me?:tom:

Please, keep trying and see if it works.

Not as desperate as you are for Jeff to start another podcast, I bet :mj: 

• dead 1
3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Today is actually his last day, even the other guys stuck around for a few days but this announcement being this late is a real surprise. Some shit definitely must have happened.

giant bomb was sold to red venture around September 2020? or finalized somewhere near the end of 2020.

early May 2021, the three guys announce they are leaving. one month later they have a new place

and also, I've noticed that Jeff has simply been on the podcasts and in videos, for maybe the entire past month.

I think Gerstmann had 18 month extension when the website got sold, and they probably wanted him to extend his contract, and he probably just went quiet to finish out the rest of his contract and leave.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Remij said:

Not as desperate as you are for Jeff to start another podcast, I bet :mj: 

LOL he's now trying something else, because he knows his first attempt failed.

Oh man..........its so fun watching you Napolean yourself in front of me, voluntarily.

15 minutes ago, Remij said:

Jeff starting his own podcast.. he quite GB... to do the same thing... but by himself :hest: 

https://the-jeff-gerstmann-show-a-podcast-about-video-games.simplecast.com/

and he's already got about 2,700 patrons. He'll probably at least half the amount of patrons as Nextlander by the end of the week.

ultimately, he couldn't start giant bomb without some investment money from Vince Brody (Whiskey Media), so he never 100% owned it.

I'm listening to his twitch stream/podcast right now.

He's either going to wake his ass up, and make his best content in 10 years because his entire paycheck depends on it, or he will fail spectacularly.  So I think we'll get something good out of him, at least during these upcoming press conferences.

He has the opportunity to be the Bill Burr of video game podcasts, an old guy with alot of old stories about video games, ranting by himself for about an hour.

34 minutes ago, jehurey said:

and he's already got about 2,700 patrons. He'll probably at least half the amount of patrons as Nextlander by the end of the week.

ultimately, he couldn't start giant bomb without some investment money from Vince Brody (Whiskey Media), so he never 100% owned it.

I'm listening to his twitch stream/podcast right now.

He's either going to wake his ass up, and make his best content in 10 years because his entire paycheck depends on it, or he will fail spectacularly.  So I think we'll get something good out of him, at least during these upcoming press conferences.

He has the opportunity to be the Bill Burr of video game podcasts, an old guy with alot of old stories about video games, ranting by himself for about an hour.

Maybe.  I'm skeptical, because I think he's just grown past it and is disgruntled.  He's seen and done everything there is to do in games journalism.

He'll no doubt do well enough for himself with regards to his following.. that wasn't really ever a question... but I don't feel he's got the drive in him to do anything outstanding with it.

Despite what I say about him here, I don't REALLY feel that way obviously.  Jeff is a true OG, and with him gone from GB it really is the end of an era.  I've always love the E3 interview stuff, especially back in the days when they were in some crowded hotel room just talking about the show floor and the conferences.  I miss THOSE days.  Never cared for any of the other guys outside of him and Brad.  If Jeff does some more of that interview style content, doing one on ones with industry vets and developers, I'd definitely tune in to that stuff.

The weird thing that I am seeing at Nextlander, is that all three guys are playing some online multiplayer shooter.

And they'll quiet for long stretches of time.

It seems like they're doing it, because they are just doing what alot of twitch streamers are doing.

But one guy by himself will probably talk more. And that also means that they limits themselves to online games for all three of them to play.

I can’t stand solo content which is why I’m glad ryckert is back. His interactions with the people around him are pretty dumb but funny. Watching his solo streams on his twitch channel just didn’t have the same effect for me. 

im surprised he gave up his wwe job though. I remember him making it sound like that was his dream job when he first got it.

7 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I can’t stand solo content which is why I’m glad ryckert is back. His interactions with the people around him are pretty dumb but funny. Watching his solo streams on his twitch channel just didn’t have the same effect for me. 

im surprised he gave up his wwe job though. I remember him making it sound like that was his dream job when he first got it.

i'm almost certain that working for the actual WWE organization is underpaid and poorly-run shit.

They probably take advantage of real fans to get them to accept lower wages.

Dan Ryckert, even at age 30+, is still a pretty stupid man-child who is prone to bad decisions.

He better have some worthwhile content to keep people to continue paying for Giant bomb premium subscriptions, or that place is going to get bad pretty quickly.

Holy shit, he started a patreon and its already up to 4,101 subscribers paying a minimum of $5/month. That's $20K a month and its not even taking into consideration people who subscribed to the $10 and $20 tiers. 

If you're somewhat well known on the internet there's pretty much no reason not to go this route.