Spider-Man Remastered is Playstation's biggest PC launch in the UK

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/spider-man-remastered-is-playstations-biggest-pc-launch-in-the-uk

Spider-Man Remastered is PlayStation's fastest selling PC launch yet in the UK, according to the latest GSD data.

The game's opening week sales are 26% higher than the previous major PlayStation PC title: God of War, which was relesaed in January.  It’s the fourth biggest PC game launch of the year in the UK, behind Elden Ring, Total War: Warhammer 3 and LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga.

Spider-Man Remastered continues PlayStation's expansion into the PC space, which it sees as a means to grow its IP and bring in new audiences. PC titles represented $80 million for PlayStation in its 2021 financial year, and the company is estimating that it will reach $300 million in this year..

As of March 2022, the combined release of Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone and God of War on PC had made $108.9 million in revenue for Sony. Life-to-date unit sales for Horizon reached 2.3 million on PC, 852,000 for Days Gone, and 971,000 for God of War.

26% higher opening week sales than God of War... while also charging $10 more.

Spider-Man Remastered is still the top selling game on Steam as well at the moment.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JERRYHBFR! You can tell he's owned hard because he always goes into hiding when hes caught bullshitting.

I was just saying this current model and results are poor.    I didn't think about Sony expanding their own ecosystem and subscriptions based services on PC though, I was only thinking about

Over 100 million in revenue. Just some from old ports sony can fund a new AAA game that the fake Sony fans here wont play 

Posted Images

As of March 2022, the combined release of Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone and God of War on PC had made $108.9 million in revenue for Sony. Life-to-date unit sales for Horizon reached 2.3 million on PC, 852,000 for Days Gone, and 971,000 for God of War.

I'm totally unimpressed by that 108m figure. For comparison sake, God of War (PS4) on it's first month generated $131m. I'm not sure those numbers are worth losing their exclusives portfolio over anymore. I think Sony is in the wrong here. I can see why Spider Man was priced higher, it'll probably generate far more revenues than the other ports at least. Also, it might be in their best interest to port games day one. Older games at cheap prices doesn't exactly set the world on fire judging by those data. Either go all out or don't do it at all.

I mean, 100m + for some old games is good but at the end of the day you are removing killer-apps from your proprietary hardware forever. Taking that into consideration, I don't find 100m all that impressive. Nowadays you have to understand that keeping a exclusive portfolio of first party titles can generates far more revenues down the line, even if the software seem somewhat irrelevant now. Old ports, HD remasters, remakes, compilations... there are many ways to sell a game over a very long period of time. Those games are forever not exclusives anymore and lost the selling power they have for Playstation. It's like if Nintendo tried to release the SNES mini but they had already ported their SNES games officially on every other platform... No one would have bought the mini and they would have lost a great hardware opportunity.

3 minutes ago, Ramza said:

As of March 2022, the combined release of Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone and God of War on PC had made $108.9 million in revenue for Sony. Life-to-date unit sales for Horizon reached 2.3 million on PC, 852,000 for Days Gone, and 971,000 for God of War.

I'm totally unimpressed by that 108m figure. For comparison sake, God of War (PS4) on it's first month generated $131m. I'm not sure those numbers are worth losing their exclusives portfolio over anymore. I think Sony is in the wrong here. I can see why Spider Man was priced higher, it'll probably generate far more revenues than the other ports at least. Also, it might be in their best interest to port games day one. Older games at cheap prices doesn't exactly set the world on fire judging by those data. Either go all out or don't do it at all.

I mean, 100m + for some old games is good but at the end of the day you are removing killer-apps from your proprietary hardware forever. Taking that into consideration, I don't find 100m all that impressive. Nowadays you have to understand that keeping a exclusive portfolio of first party titles can generates far more revenues down the line, even if the software seem somewhat irrelevant now. Old ports, HD remasters, remakes, compilations... there are many ways to sell a game over a very long period of time. Those games are forever not exclusives anymore and lost the selling power they have for Playstation. It's like if Nintendo tried to release the SNES mini but they had already ported their SNES games officially on every other platform... No one would have bought the mini and they would have lost a great hardware opportunity.

Not really. If someone doesn't have a PS4 by now for GoW, Spider-Man or Horizon then they were never going to buy one. they're essentially selling to people who want the PC upgrade or would just never buy a playstation.

Sure sony can resell thse on ps5 but people arent going to buy a ps5 for remasters. They will buy the games if they have the console but not the console for the games. Plus its fulpy backeards compat so they dont even need the remasters anymore.

I really think this is the idea thats why they wait so long. Whoever is playing GoW for the first time in 2022 was never going to buy a playstation. At least now having a pc gamer playa nd invest in these franchises they may consider a ps in the future.

Just now, TLHBO said:

Not really. If someone doesn't have a PS4 by now for GoW, Spider-Man or Horizon then they were never going to buy one. they're essentially selling to people who want the PC upgrade or would just never buy a playstation.

Sure sony can resell thse on ps5 but people arent going to buy a ps5 for remasters. They will buy the games if they have the console but not the console for the games. Plus its fulpy backeards compat so they dont even need the remasters anymore.

I really think this is the idea thats why they wait so long. Whoever is playing GoW for the first time in 2022 was never going to buy a playstation. At least now having a pc gamer playa nd invest in these franchises they may consider a ps in the future.

Your logic is flawed. If they'd buy the game if they had the console, then it's definitely a killer-app to some degree, in the sense that it's extra incentive to pick up a proprietary hardware. Granted, maybe what really sold him on the PS6 was God of War Ragnarok 2 but the HD 8k remaster of GoW and GoW Ragnarok was also extra incentive that reinforced his purchase decision. Also, the ports compilation generated $255m on PS6 alone. GoW and GoW Ragnarok was also used to help drive subscriptions to Sony Gamepass when it was on PS5.

Know what I mean?

Anyway, Nintendo is proof that nurturing your exclusive apps approach works. While MS is proof that not having exclusives can significantly reduce your hardware and subscriptions selling power. Exclusive content matter and not just for a year or two. 

this is proving to be a pretty sweet arrangement for both sony and pc gamers. the titles get a dual release: play it early on the ps4/ps5 or play it later on the pc with enhancements.

54 minutes ago, Ramza said:

:D 

This is a brand new market for them... and they aren't planning to just make what they're making... they're planning to GROW this market.  That's going to happen in a few different ways. 

-Once they get a catalog of games out there... they'll release their own launcher, they'll continue to release on Steam and Epic, but likely hope to convince people to buy from their own store in various ways, like Trophy support, PSN support, maybe if you subscribe to PSN+ you get certain in-game perks or other shit like that.  They'll make 100% off of those sales, instead of the 70-88% they're making currently. 

-They'll start releasing future games closer and closer to the console, and they'll gauge how it affects their console sales.  They'll find the best balance for those titles.

-The live service games will start releasing.  If any of those become a massive hit (if Sony aren't developing a "Souls like" service game by now they're fucking stupid) then PC will start generating serious revenue for them.

-Once that happens, and those games are releasing day and date.... the other games just eventually fall in line and release together to maximize marketing and hype cycles.

They first need to build a solid rapport with PC gamers... Sony isn't stupid.. they know they have work to do and you don't penetrate a market by only releasing 4 year old games on it.  They're going all in on PC gaming. :tom5: 

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

This is a brand new market for them... and they aren't planning to just make what they're making... they're planning to GROW this market.  That's going to happen in a few different ways. 

-Once they get a catalog of games out there... they'll release their own launcher, they'll continue to release on Steam and Epic, but likely hope to convince people to buy from their own store in various ways, like Trophy support, PSN support, maybe if you subscribe to PSN+ you get certain in-game perks or other shit like that.  They'll make 100% off of those sales, instead of the 70-88% they're making currently. 

-They'll start releasing future games closer and closer to the console, and they'll gauge how it affects their console sales.  They'll find the best balance for those titles.

-The live service games will start releasing.  If any of those become a massive hit (if Sony aren't developing a "Souls like" service game by now they're fucking stupid) then PC will start generating serious revenue for them.

-Once that happens, and those games are releasing day and date.... the other games just eventually fall in line and release together to maximize marketing and hype cycles.

They first need to build a solid rapport with PC gamers... Sony isn't stupid.. they know they have work to do and you don't penetrate a market by only releasing 4 year old games on it.  They're going all in on PC gaming. :tom5: 

I was just saying this current model and results are poor. 

I didn't think about Sony expanding their own ecosystem and subscriptions based services on PC though, I was only thinking about the software sales. So, good points there. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I was just saying this current model and results are poor. 

I didn't think about Sony expanding their own ecosystem and subscriptions based services on PC though, I was only thinking about the software sales. So, good points there. 

They're not poor... given the circumstances.

These are relatively low cost ports... so they're making decent ROI.. despite not selling 5M+..  These games are all 15M+ sellers already... that market already bought the shit out of these games... they're hoping to find new people

But yea, you can bet your ass that once they get enough content out on PC, they'll be looking to bring PSN+ to PC in some form.  They will do whatever they can to get people subscribing to that service.  Their upcoming live service game onslaught will provide a perfect opportunity to build that out on PC.

44 minutes ago, Remij said:

No.

This is just extra money.

They are not going to devote their MAIN studios to making PC games.

They're already announced it in their chart, that they will be making PS5 exclusives that will not be on PC through the end of the PS5 lifecycle.

These is just an organized sloppy-seconds port business they've opened up

1 hour ago, Remij said:

Still dreaming about day and date on PC for Sony's AAA games... Lmfao. 

The number 1 reason for purchasing Sony's hardware (exclusives) and being locked into their PSN echo system,  they'll just give that up even though that's making the most money for them. 

44 minutes ago, jehurey said:

No.

This is just extra money.

They are not going to devote their MAIN studios to making PC games.

They're already announced it in their chart, that they will be making PS5 exclusives that will not be on PC through the end of the PS5 lifecycle.

These is just an organized sloppy-seconds port business they've opened up

"LOL there's your PC version... the game coming to PSNow!!" - Jerky

:tom: 

25 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Still dreaming about day and date on PC for Sony's AAA games... Lmfao. 

The number 1 reason for purchasing Sony's hardware (exclusives) and being locked into their PSN echo system,  they'll just give that up even though that's making the most money for them. 

lmfao it's happening by the end of this gen dude.. like I said  :hest: 

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

Right right,  just after Bloodborne by the end of the PS4 gen :umad:

Why would Sony undermine their own ecosystem on PlayStation that is currently extremely successful? 

MS is the only one doing that because Xbox is in shambles and they could afford to lose billions. 

Hermit hopes and dreams.

Edited by Goukosan
1 hour ago, Substatic said:

1654876679066.png

LOL they made a collage trying to boast about PS4 games :hest:

they think its effective :drake:

1 hour ago, Substatic said:

Umm this is your words,

That it performed worse than God of War?

So..................my post was correct :trump:

Notice how I stayed on that topic the entire time, and now this thread proves that point.

Notice how you will avoid acknowledging that.

50 minutes ago, Remij said:

No its not.

You already saw the official graph by Sony themselves.

You are not getting the vast majority of games exclusively designed for the PS5.

This is all the way through the end of the PS5's console life cycle.

You saw that graph.

This simply isn't up for debate.

23 minutes ago, jehurey said:

No its not.

You already saw the official graph by Sony themselves.

You are not getting the vast majority of games exclusively designed for the PS5.

This is all the way through the end of the PS5's console life cycle.

You saw that graph.

This simply isn't up for debate.

Yes, it is.

And yes, there will be PS5 games on PC... very VERY soon. :reg: 

The vast majority of PS5 exclusives... will be on PC.  You're going to have to deal with that.  And I'm going to have fun with you. :tom5: