Xbox buying Activision has “major negative implications for gamers”

https://www.ign.com/articles/sony-pleased-with-xbox-activision-buyout-investigation-major-negative-implications-for-gamers

‘Major negative implications’ - because of a monopoly or because Phil Spencer ruins everything he touches by putting purple hairs in jobs instead of qualified people?

:mjpls:

Edited by Cell
  • Haha 1
  • dead 1

The most damning statistic that I saw was that, currently, from Activision's revenues, the majority of their revenues are coming from Playstation platforms.

So, it becomes really obvious that Activision was making most of its business on Playstation platforms, and somebody is intentionally buying them to remove them from the most popular platforms.

This is usually the part where a settlement has to occur in which they institute conditions on the purchase, and they have to agree to nation governments that they are legally obligated to make games on other platforms for at least X amount of years, and that's the only way they get the go-ahead from the government to allow the sale.

I believe there was a neogaf thread a couple of days ago in which Microsoft was responding to a request from the CMA by basically blowing them off, and not answering anything.

And now the CMA responded by opening up a second, more-extended investigation.

Looks like Microsoft made a bad move.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jehurey said:

The most damning statistic that I saw was that, currently, from Activision's revenues, the majority of their revenues are coming from Playstation platforms.

So, it becomes really obvious that Activision was making most of its business on Playstation platforms, and somebody is intentionally buying them to remove them from the most popular platforms.

This is usually the part where a settlement has to occur in which they institute conditions on the purchase, and they have to agree to nation governments that they are legally obligated to make games on other platforms for at least X amount of years, and that's the only way they get the go-ahead from the government to allow the sale.

I believe there was a neogaf thread a couple of days ago in which Microsoft was responding to a request from the CMA by basically blowing them off, and not answering anything.

And now the CMA responded by opening up a second, more-extended investigation.

Looks like Microsoft made a bad move.

Maybe, but, unless there is a huge shift in consumer buying habits (people suddenly want Xbox’s over PlayStations), I’ve never quite believed MS want to keep CoD off PlayStation, I think they just want to control the money it makes on PlayStation. I can see them loading it on gamepass (if this goes through) and then trying to force Sony’s hand by trying to have them put Gamepass, at least in some form, on PlayStation, they’ve already been trying that for years anyway.

It's about time CoD does die tbh. Activision is historically the worst publisher. Everytime they had a hit, they milked it to death: Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, Call of Duty. They do their teams dirty and they never fostered a culture of originality.

• Upvote 1