Return to Monkey Island releases tomorrow, anyone picking it up? (Official Thread)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished it.   I LOVED it!  Seriously.. The ending did kinda throw me for a loop until I started thinking about it and reflecting on it a bit.  I think the ending I got perfectly reflects th

brooo...i'm having a blast, between the humor and the fun puzzles. they have done a great job of modernizing classic-style puzzles. some of the solutions are pretty funny lol.

Yeah, I couldn’t decide whether to rate it a 7.5 or an 8. I gave it an 8, in the end, due to the hint system and because some of the puzzles were pretty awesome. I do prefer games with isolated puzzle

26 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

If I have a gripe, it’s that some of these later puzzles rely on trial and error with some out there ideas. They are clever, but damn, one puzzle took me a bit. 

This game seems to have a really useful hint system. I’m kind of impatient nowadays so if I’m stuck for a bit I won’t be shy about using it.

3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

This game seems to have a really useful hint system. I’m kind of impatient nowadays so if I’m stuck for a bit I won’t be shy about using it.

I have finally caved and started using it in spots, mainly to know where to go next. I didn’t use it in the first 3 parts, through. 

Ok…I beat Monkey Island.

1. Charming and full of cheesy, dad joke-like humor.

2. The pacing in the first 3 parts was excellent. The puzzles didn’t require much backtracking (usually an issue with old school adventure games), and got more clever and interesting as the game went on. 

3. Part 4 felt like three or four sections crammed into one. It also had a significantly larger scope. It felt very old school, and a bit jarring, compared to the shorter, more focused earlier parts. I literally took notes and pics with my phone to remember shit lol. However, when I was totally stumped (or had easily overlooked an item), the hint system was a godly addition. 

4. The final part was short, but the puzzles were more obtuse than the ones in earlier sections. Hell, you can’t even see the solution to one of the puzzles if you are playing this on Switch undocked or Steamdeck. I had to use the zoom lens on my phone to see it lol. 

5. The ending was…well…let’s just say the journey was better than the destination. 

Overall: this was a great nod to a classic series, but I wish part 4 had been three separate, more focused, sections. Still, there are some excellent puzzles and the characters have charm to spare.

8/10

• Upvote 1

I just finished it as well. That ending honestly felt like a slap in the face.

The game was good but it didn't impress me as much as I had hoped. The whole vibe of the game didn't really feel like my cup of tea. When it comes to classic adventure games im definitely more of a fan of franchises like Broken Sword and Syberia (the new one was quite good).

i'd probably rate it a 7.5

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

I just finished it as well. That ending honestly felt like a slap in the face.

The game was good but it didn't impress me as much as I had hoped. The whole vibe of the game didn't really feel like my cup of tea. When it comes to classic adventure games im definitely more of a fan of franchises like Broken Sword and Syberia (the new one was quite good).

i'd probably rate it a 7.5

Yeah, I couldn’t decide whether to rate it a 7.5 or an 8. I gave it an 8, in the end, due to the hint system and because some of the puzzles were pretty awesome. I do prefer games with isolated puzzle areas…like pedestrian and superliminal….or adventure titles like Layton. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Yeah, I couldn’t decide whether to rate it a 7.5 or an 8. I gave it an 8, in the end, due to the hint system and because some of the puzzles were pretty awesome. I do prefer games with isolated puzzle areas…like pedestrian and superliminal….or adventure titles like Layton. 

We’re long overdue for a new Layton. The switch would be the perfect platform for it :smoke: 

• Upvote 1

Finished it.

I LOVED it!  Seriously.. The ending did kinda throw me for a loop until I started thinking about it and reflecting on it a bit.  I think the ending I got perfectly reflects the character of Guybrush Threepwood, and how he'd tell his story.

Spoiler

IMO the "secret" of Monkey Island has always been about the journey to find it... and how it's told changes as time goes on.

If you read the Scrapbook after beating the game, you get a message from Ron Gilbert, and it kinda points to the fact that throughout their careers making this game series, their own life stories and points of views have changed as time goes on.  With each game they set out and told a story which somewhat reflected where they were at that point of time in their lives and careers.  Other developers have had their hand at telling their own Monkey Island stories which reflects where they themselves were in their lives.

I think the ending to this game kinda does the same thing with Guybrush.  He's had these amazing adventures searching for "the secret" but really the secret is in fact the knowledge that comes through having experienced the journey searching for it.  Now, he's older, and passing on "the secret" by telling it to the next generation, inspiring them to carry on and search for their own Secret of Monkey Island.  That theme permeates throughout this game.. like how you go through lengths to learn to exaggerate and spice up your story to tell the Chums.. and so on.

And classic Stan.. of course he'd figure out a way to market and sell the story with an amusement park! :D 

9/10 :love: 

Edited by Remij
  • Upvote 2