Spider-Man Remastered was the #3 best selling game of August

Just now, FIREPOWER said:

Pretty unimpressive. I thought it would sell more. I guess more revenue for Sony isn’t bad but one of PlayStation’s biggest IPs only getting #3 on Steam is meh. If I’m Sony and looking at this, I’ll still release games for PC but it won’t push me in any way to do day and date PC releases for my tentpole single player exclusives. Looks like a ton of people are pirating it instead of buying it, which is a shame. I’m personally waiting for a heavy price drop on Steam since I’ve already bought the game twice.

You know what's even more fascinating.

Cyberpunk 2077...............yes, that Cyberpunk 2077, has immediately skyrocketed to one of the most played games on steam, and is the current highest selling game on Steam just yesterday.

They have had records of 120,000 concurrent players, and have achieved over a million players.

All of it within the past week.

gkKrYeU.png

I imagine that we will see a noticeable bump in Cyberpunk 2077 sales in the NPD for September, whenever that information gets released. People buying the Playstation and Xbox retail and digitial versions.

And the game is not even for sale at a discount. Its at least selling for $39.99, at minimum.

YAPVrsN.png

L13ylVB.png

And why?

Almost 100% entirely due to the Netflix show. That didn't even crack the Top 5 most watch on Netflix US.

The point I'm making is that these publishers are looking at this and realizing that the HARDCORE gamer, who is bitching and moaning and demanding things from Cyberpunk 2077 for the past two years, can be bypassed if you advertise your product to the main stream audience.

Things like this essentially prove that the neogaf crowd, who considers THEMSELVES to be the center of all gaming..........don't actually have the consumer leverage that they THINK they do.

EA, Ubisoft, and other publishers are going to notice this.

• aitch 1
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So the entire buying power of the PC community.............. cares less about Sony exclusives than a shitty Saints Row release on consoles.   

Getting DLSS3     Nixxes said they're working on some other features as well.  Perhaps even higher RT settings.  

Why did you lie Jerry?      

1 hour ago, FIREPOWER said:

Pretty unimpressive. I thought it would sell more. I guess more revenue for Sony isn’t bad but one of PlayStation’s biggest IPs only getting #3 on Steam is meh. If I’m Sony and looking at this, I’ll still release games for PC but it won’t push me in any way to do day and date PC releases for my tentpole single player exclusives. Looks like a ton of people are pirating it instead of buying it which is a shame. I’m personally waiting for a heavy price drop on Steam since I’ve already bought the game twice.

These ports cost Sony sweet fuck all to make.  Both Spider-Man Remastered, AND Miles Morales... in less than a year of development.  2-for-1... essentially.  Nixxes said 11 months... and that includes around 2 months just getting the engine ported over in that time too.  Both Spider-Man games will easily hit 3 million each.. and they're damn near full price.. So that's ~6M in extra sales... 70% of that is  ~$250M for something that probably cost them ~$5M to make...   They're not going to stop lmao.

Doesn't matter if they haven't played or bought these games before... they know the price they are on console... and most PC gamers aren't going to spend $60 on old PS games... they're going to spend what they feel they're worth.. so there's a lot of people out there waiting for sales.  Every time they have a sale, those games will jump to the top of the charts.

And you're kidding yourself if you don't think Sony knows the key to getting more sales on PC is to hit closer and closer to console launch timeframes... where they can capitalize on hype and marketing.

Edited by Remij
7 hours ago, Remij said:

These ports cost Sony sweet fuck all to make.  Both Spider-Man Remastered, AND Miles Morales... in less than a year of development.  2-for-1... essentially.  Nixxes said 11 months... and that includes around 2 months just getting the engine ported over in that time too.  Both Spider-Man games will easily hit 3 million each.. and they're damn near full price.. So that's ~6M in extra sales... 70% of that is  ~$250M for something that probably cost them ~$5M to make...   They're not going to stop lmao.

Doesn't matter if they haven't played or bought these games before... they know the price they are on console... and most PC gamers aren't going to spend $60 on old PS games... they're going to spend what they feel they're worth.. so there's a lot of people out there waiting for sales.  Every time they have a sale, those games will jump to the top of the charts.

And you're kidding yourself if you don't think Sony knows the key to getting more sales on PC is to hit closer and closer to console launch timeframes... where they can capitalize on hype and marketing.

They won't do that. They'll keep doing what they are doing now because this way they get to maximize console software and HARDWARE sales.

Steam money is good several years down the line when software sales for a particular game on PS have died out but it's not making up for the sheer amount of money, hype and advertisement they get for their ecosystem when a game is exclusive to PS even if it's for a few years. Look at God of War Ragnarok right now, once that shit drops it's gonna move a ton of PS consoles which will in turn drive PS Plus subscriptions and store purchases (the primary money maker for them). They will launch years later on PC and get the money back at barely any cost like you said. PC is a money maker for them but it will always be the secondary money maker, their main money maker is Playstation and the services that surround it. 

Edited by FIREPOWER
9 hours ago, jehurey said:

You know what's even more fascinating.

Cyberpunk 2077...............yes, that Cyberpunk 2077, has immediately skyrocketed to one of the most played games on steam, and is the current highest selling game on Steam just yesterday.

They have had records of 120,000 concurrent players, and have achieved over a million players.

All of it within the past week.

gkKrYeU.png

I imagine that we will see a noticeable bump in Cyberpunk 2077 sales in the NPD for September, whenever that information gets released. People buying the Playstation and Xbox retail and digitial versions.

And the game is not even for sale at a discount. Its at least selling for $39.99, at minimum.

YAPVrsN.png

L13ylVB.png

And why?

Almost 100% entirely due to the Netflix show. That didn't even crack the Top 5 most watch on Netflix US.

The point I'm making is that these publishers are looking at this and realizing that the HARDCORE gamer, who is bitching and moaning and demanding things from Cyberpunk 2077 for the past two years, can be bypassed if you advertise your product to the main stream audience.

Things like this essentially prove that the neogaf crowd, who considers THEMSELVES to be the center of all gaming..........don't actually have the consumer leverage that they THINK they do.

EA, Ubisoft, and other publishers are going to notice this.

:aitch: Imagine what The Last of US HBO TV show is gonna do for TLOU Part 1 sales once that comes out. People were crying and asking if a TLOU remake was need but seeing how Cyberpunk sales are surging, Sony's decision to remake TLOU is total genius. They are gonna be swimming in money and sales next year when the TV show releases. That's also when Factions 2 should also be launching. Perfect timing for these games launching and their marketing. 

Microsoft tried to do the same thing for Halo Infinite but they failed spectacularly in typical MS fashion :kaz:

48 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

:aitch: Imagine what The Last of US HBO TV show is gonna do for TLOU Part 1 sales once that comes out. People were crying and asking if a TLOU remake was need but seeing how Cyberpunk sales are surging, Sony's decision to remake TLOU is total genius. They are gonna be swimming in money and sales next year when the TV show releases. That's also when Factions 2 should also be launching. Perfect timing for these games launching and their marketing. 

Microsoft tried to do the same thing for Halo Infinite but they failed spectacularly in typical MS fashion :kaz:

yeah there's definitely a right way to do it (Cyberpunk Edgerunners on Netflix, TLOU on HBO).

And there's a wrong way to do it (Halo on Paramount Plus)

Just ANOTHER industry that Sony is better at than Microsoft