GamePass profitable, Phil Spencer confirms. Price increases will be coming

Accounts for about 15% of gaming revenue.  PC Gamepass is growing exponentially, console GamePass is slowing down as they run out of console gamers willing to subscribe.

If they keep putting more PC focused games on there, and actually utilize their classic PC ips properly, they will continue to grow.

Oh and he hinted that price increases will be coming, which we can assume will be $70 games, and Xbox Live and GamePass increases.

Edited by Remij
  • Remij changed the title to GamePass profitable, Phil Spencer confirms. Price increases will be coming

And you'll pay the new monthly price or you'll access to your entire collection.

"You'll own nothing and you'll be happy" - Bill Gates as he decides he wants to own all the farmland in the U.S

LOL I wonder what type of number manipulation they are doing in order to say that the service is profitable.

Basically, if they conclude that all of their owned IPs cost $0 dollars to offer on the service, then GamePass paid Microsoft Game Studios (the owner of those Bethesda IPs) zero dollars, and therefore GamePass didn't have to spend any revenue.

But.........if that means that digital sales of all of those Bethesda IPs absolutely tank on Xbox Live and the Windows Store, because nobody is buying them since they are on GamePass, then they are effectively losing money.

But, technically, its ANOTHER department that's losing money.

If XBL Gold revenue has completely tanked, because nobody subscribes to it anymore, because the only people who have an Xbox are just paying for GamePass, then XBL Gold lost money, but they get to claim that the GamePass service "didn't lose money."

In other words, other departments' revenue streams got cannibalized.

That and, if you haven't been noticing, they're really been switching out games on GamePass and replacing with absolute bottom of the barrel shit.

14 hours ago, jehurey said:

LOL I wonder what type of number manipulation they are doing in order to say that the service is profitable.

Basically, if they conclude that all of their owned IPs cost $0 dollars to offer on the service, then GamePass paid Microsoft Game Studios (the owner of those Bethesda IPs) zero dollars, and therefore GamePass didn't have to spend any revenue.

But.........if that means that digital sales of all of those Bethesda IPs absolutely tank on Xbox Live and the Windows Store, because nobody is buying them since they are on GamePass, then they are effectively losing money.

But, technically, its ANOTHER department that's losing money.

If XBL Gold revenue has completely tanked, because nobody subscribes to it anymore, because the only people who have an Xbox are just paying for GamePass, then XBL Gold lost money, but they get to claim that the GamePass service "didn't lose money."

In other words, other departments' revenue streams got cannibalized.

That and, if you haven't been noticing, they're really been switching out games on GamePass and replacing with absolute bottom of the barrel shit.

I always wondered how they factor in the cost of their first party software with Gamepass revenue and present it to their shareholders... I also wouldn't be surprised if it was really dumb in that way where it actually hides the real development costs from their first party.

There's also no way they factor in the LOSS of their regular softwares sales at 60$ a piece (which is worth what, half a year of GP?). 

Game sales are down but GP subscriptions are up! There are no correlations here, let's move on. :killzone: 

Lol have you seen this month 'Games With Gold'.

Xbox Live Gold free games for November 2022 announced - Gematsu

Fire Trash GIF

2 hours ago, Ramza said:

I always wondered how they factor in the cost of their first party software with Gamepass revenue and present it to their shareholders... I also wouldn't be surprised if it was really dumb in that way where it actually hides the real development costs from their first party.

There's also no way they factor in the LOSS of their regular softwares sales at 60$ a piece (which is worth what, half a year of GP?). 

Game sales are down but GP subscriptions are up! There are no correlations here, let's move on. :killzone: 

Fire Trash GIF

Literally too much money to care. Its painful for me because I see the same attitude where I work :D and I can't but picture all the internal bullshit I see every day taking place at Microsoft too.

Sony fortunately is wealthy enough to invest serious money into gaming but not wealthy enough that they can shrug off a dead project thats as much a money sink as Xbox is for 20 years.

On 2022-10-29 at 8:26 AM, Ramza said:

Fire Trash GIF

Games with Gold used to be FOUR GAMES.

I noticed that. They cut it down to two games.

Guess they needed the other two to pad up the GamePass list :hest:

• Haha 1