State of Play announced for Feb. 23rd at 1PM PT/9PM GMT| PSVR2, Indies, third party reveals

GT7 is fucking brilliant.

Its not perfect, and the headset is giving me trouble because my hair is thick and long enough that the fucking thing simply isn't grabbing and holding onto my head tightly enough to prevent slippage.

The cockpit view is pretty great. Its a bit off-putting, because at first, you think all of the proportions are wrong. But it really boils down to the fact that I was driving older automobiles, and those interior cabins are actually cramped. The steering wheel IS right up on your chest.

You see the driver's torso and legs, because in the car they are leaning back, so their kneecaps are probably at around where their waist is. But when I'm playing the game, I'm sitting and leaning forward. And the driver character model is probably a skinny japanese guy. So your head feels bigger than the rest of your body.

I actually noticed some pop-in for certain objects in the distance when I drove the London city track. Also, on my LG OLED, the game felt like it had a deeper black, and richer color than the headset's OLED. I don't know if maybe I can fiddle around with that.

This may also be due in part of the fresnel lenses still not having absolute crisp clarity when viewing the lenses at their edges, and also my left eye is not perfect due to having surgery on my eye over a decade ago.  Some objects in the distance can be a bit blurry unless you center your vision directly on it. And its also doing stereoscopic 3D...sometimes my eyes just get blurry when I'm trying to focus on near objects.

But holy shit, is driving in a car, even an old classic car, pretty fantastic. You immediately get better vertical field of view compared to a 16:9 television, and I was driving a convertible, so you can easily see the sky above you without having to tilt your head up that much.

You can see an object in the distance, and you are driving fast, but you can keep your eyes fixed on that distant object as you get closer and closer to it, and then drive past it. Like in real life, when you see a road sign from far away, and you read it as you zip by it. It feels natural.

When I drive in a tunnel, and the tunnel has lights. The lights reflecting off of the metal of the windshield, the metal wipers, the metal clips that would be used to put the top on the car, the metal from the rearview mirrors, seeing all of those things reflect in unision, as you see light and shadow run along your dashboard.  Its fantastic.

The rearview mirrors now feel much more useful. The 1966 Honda has a rear view mirror that's actually not on the car door, its actually further down on the fender.

175442582_Screenshot2023-02-23at03-14-271966_Honda_S800_rear.jpg(JPEGImage47532174pixels)Scaled(40).thumb.png.e6f95d84142fda535abc6574043b6faa.png

When playing on a flatscreen, its not very useful. In VR, its actually very intuitive to quickly glance to it

Here's a video I took when I was looking at my Mazda in the game.  I primarily took it because I noticed the reflections off of the Mazda logo on the steering wheel matched the area I was in. But also take a look at things like the A/C buttons on the dash, since I'm not directly looking at them, that is where the game is doing foveated rendering, and rendering that part of the screen at lower-res. It becomes very obvious when I look to the right at those elevators.

https://imgur.com/e5iaOnt

I just chuckled when I could get close and just look at the tail light and look at the text on the sidewall of the tire in VR. That's how I was able to adjust my headset to fix the slippage.

XOtnghU.jpg

I believe my eyes are actually looking at the left side of the tire, so you can actually see the right side actually look more pixelated.

hWIgfRH.jpg

And this appears to be the crappiest polygonal object in the game:

XnCxncN.jpg

The game has some reflections that aren't loading the texture correctly, in one instance.

In one showcase area, there's a definite problem with how its loading in higher-quality shadows, and higher-detail tree textures. Seems like a glitch.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Madden just got removed from GamePass, as well. I just read that in a neogaf thread.   So, this dumbass got like a short timed demo in August, and couldn't get the whole game released on EA

The first Fisherman game had some really cool perspective visuals going on with the miniatures. I didn't like the puzzles or narrative much (not my kind of game tbh) but visually it was pretty dope.

Just 2D stuff so far. I wasn't expecting it to arrive on launch day since they gave a 22nd - 28th delivery window. Downloading RE Village atm.

Posted Images

I mean, there's definitely alot of things happening in that game, and it looks mechanically sound.

If you think the story is all wacky and all over the place, then you need to remember that Arkham Knight was already getting there with its story and world.